D4 indicator Flashing 92 Accord Lx Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was driving my accord today and noticed that my the D4 gear indicator (Green square) on the dash started flashing. A quick look in the Honda manual says that it means there is a problem with the tranny. I pulled over turned off the car then started it up again and the D4 indicator stayed solid, and during the whole drive the car shifted fine. So is this a bad sensor or a hint of something going...TCU...Vehicle Speed Sensor?

Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. I hope its just the TCU. I was driving my mother to work today, after about 10-15 mins into our drive I was accelerating from a dead stop and as soon as it came out of 1st the car became immediately sluggish. Looked at the dash and D4 was flashing again. Every time I accelerated from a dead stop I would lose 2nd gear and it felt like I was going straight to 3rd or 4th, but as soon as I pulled over turned off the car waited a few seconds and started it up again it was fine for another 10mins before it repeated itself.

Last edited:
Weird just removed my TCU and had a good look inside and it looks brand new, not one sign of a blown transistor or capacitor
confused.gif

Could it still be broken, because I have called around and most of the scrap yards in the area are out of them, cheapest I found was $75.00

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Could it be a shift solenoid?

Well according to the webpage JLoy sent me if the shift solenoid was faulty the D4 light would not come at all, but mine comes on, so I don't know...

Last edited:
So decided to try and see if there was a diagnostic code I could get from the TCU to see if in fact it was the TCU. I connected a paper clip into the Service check connector and the D4 indicator read out 7 short blinks and according to the Webpage JLoy posted which had the code listing it is the "Shift control solenoid valve A".

Alright swapped out my switch control valve with one a picked up from a used parts place. So far so good, took my accord out and drove around for about 20-30mins and everything seemed fine. I'm going to take her out on the highway tomorrow for some more testing just to be sure. I'm going to keep an eye out for any leaks. I had to re-use the old rubber ringed gasket due to the unfortunate fact that Honda has discontinued all replacement parts for the A/T on this car
mad.gif
, the old gasket was in o.k condition. It took quite awhile to get it off since its located infront of the rad...very tight space
eek.gif
. If it leaks my only opion I guess is RTV Grey.

Thanks for the help guys

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back