Kreen in 3.0L Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I promised. New topic about kreen. So I drained pretty much good oil, that had little more than 1000 miles on it and quart of MMO. Oil came out black,but as I could see It"s mostly due Moly(leaves silver/gray spots on paper).
Cut open previous OCOD, just little thicken oil in it,maybe moly, nothing to worry about.
So I put in 5w-30 peak oil, ST filter. Will keep filter for 500 miles, change, than drain oil at 1000 mark.
Shoot a picture of oil screen,will compare after 1000 miles. Checked under PVC valve, looks decent comparing to the first time ever, was able to get little pieces of crud with small screwdriver,but no sludge, just hard pieces.Will check after too.
Also took a video before Kreen. I drove around for about 30 min, city not highway, but up to 55 mph.

Video after: oil was dripping out for long time,car puffed out big cloud of smoke right after start,(I think bigger than usual,thinner oil?), idled engine until I smoked, coolant was up to normal temperature, charger AC for about 10-15 min more, then shoot video.

As I expected, no immediate change in sound. Will take video at 500 miles mark to compare. Maybe ticking noise will be gone.

No offence but I don't know of anything in a can can help a severely sludged engine.
Honestly i can see whatever product was used last be it Kreen, MMO ARX or whatever getting the blame if and when this engine decides its had enough and checks out.

To expect any results whatsoever in this engine after 30 minutes is not realistic, in fact you may never see any regardless of the product used or combination thereof.

Still give it 2k and see if you get any results if not i would forget it. There is a limit to the amount of solvents you can run long term before you do some damage JMHO.

Originally Posted By: Trav
No offence but I don't know of anything in a can can help a severely sludged engine.
Honestly i can see whatever product was used last be it Kreen, MMO ARX or whatever getting the blame if and when this engine decides its had enough and checks out.

To expect any results whatsoever in this engine after 30 minutes is not realistic, in fact you may never see any regardless of the product used or combination thereof.

Still give it 2k and see if you get any results if not i would forget it. There is a limit to the amount of solvents you can run long term before you do some damage JMHO.

I agree. Sometimes you can kill something with kindness. OTOH if there is really a lot of sludge in the engine, an excessive amount, it might be time to drop the pan and pull the valve covers and go to town cleaning it out manually. JMO

As a sidenote I had a HS buddy that bought a sludged up beater to get to work with. He decided to run flush after flush to clean it up. He got the bug and decided he was going to "fix" this thing. What he ended up with was an oil burning pig, which was running better before he started fooling with it. No offense intended. Sometimes too much of a good thing can turn out bad!

Trav, I believe in order for Kreen to work effectively for the OP, he will have to remove his Valve Cover and make sure his OIL RETURN HOLES in the Cylinder Heads is not plugged up, these will need to be manually cleaned out, I do not see Kreen being able to help clear this up.

The Cylinder head may need to be cleaned up manually, without a look inside the Valvetrain then this is a guessing game.

Last edited:
I don't think it's severely sludged,and I don't think ARX for 5000 miles, MMO for 1000, and Kreen for 2000 miles will be too much. I think it can start burning more oil if it's worn rings, but they can be also stuck, which is more possible in my case.Anyway, will try Maxlife later on, and heavier oil.
I might remove front valve cover later on, but not really willing to do it. Does those engine use liquid gaskets or factory made, because my search came up with both results.

At least to my ears, your engine did not sound like it is on death bed. It sounds like a typical Toyota engine. What specific problems are you trying to solve?

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: PontiacFan

Trav, I believe in order for Kreen to work effectively for the OP, he will have to remove his Valve Cover and make sure his OIL RETURN HOLES in the Cylinder Heads is not plugged up, these will need to be manually cleaned out, I do not see Kreen being able to help clear this up.

This is perhaps the most interesting cleaning theory I have heard yet on BITOG - Kreen only cleans when it flows through a hole! And here I thought it was the miracle product that cleaned anything, anywhere, anytime.
confused2.gif

How does that engine manage to keep running? I wonder where the oil for lubrication is coming from? Maybe this engine makes it's own new oil!

My biggest problem is oil usage, and I found some sights of slugde.Looks like that car had max one PVC valve change max, in 127k miles(when I got it)That's why I'm doing it.Otherwise, it runs good and gets good mpg for that size of the car and age.
Observations so far: more smoke at start up, and during harder acceleration until engine if fully warmed. Maybe Kreen burns off, maybe due lighter oil.
Someone wanted UOA on Oil with Kreen, might do it also.
smile.gif

Might be,that my father will take car to round trip to Washington D.C. in the beginning of August, in this case car will be filled with 4q of 15w-40 Delvac, 1q of 5w-20 Valvoline and left over ARX,with spare gallon in the trunk. Will be perfect condition for ARX, around 10 hours on highway one way.

Last edited:
Just stay with the kreen... If that does not help your car, nothing will. I kind of agree that if an engine is really sludged up then manual cleaning is the only other way to go.

Quote:
And here I thought it was the miracle product that cleaned anything, anywhere, anytime.

That is just ridiculous and unrealistic! I have used it in lots of engines with great results but there was one Honda that was just to far gone for any product to clean it safely.

It works incredibly well on varnish and i would say mid level amounts of sludge but common sense dictates you cant liquefy a fully caked up sludge monster without some possible consequences regardless of which product is used.
The only way to clean up something like that is to manually clean it out then run a cleaner to clean up the residue that could not be got at.

That is just ridiculous and unrealistic! I have used it in lots of engines with great results but there was one Honda that was just to far gone for any product to clean it safely.

It works incredibly well on varnish and i would say mid level amounts of sludge but common sense dictates you cant liquefy a fully caked up sludge monster without some possible consequences regardless of which product is used.
The only way to clean up something like that is to manually clean it out then run a cleaner to clean up the residue that could not be got at.

+1

Quote:
And here I thought it was the miracle product that cleaned anything, anywhere, anytime.

DITTO...

Well said Trav. There are some worn, abused, or poorly maintained engines that are in need of an overhaul. Nothing in a bottle or can is going to clean them up. OTOH, Kreen seems to do a bang up job on engines that need TLC.

great videos-although the sounds this motor is making at idle are sounds I do not want to hear.
Don't put too much money/time/effort into this car--unless it is for entertainemnt value only

Originally Posted By: steve20
forgot to add- I would not let my father take this car to the local Quick Mart, let alone DC

I will change oil before the trip myself. I actually never let anybody touch this car, except O2 sensor change.
And yes it's more experimental DD car, I will not spend loads of money into ring job or whatever. Plus I might take over Mini Cooper S conv with stick next year from my Father, he doesn't want to pay 600$ a month anymore, and will loose 5000-10000 if he sales it back.Even doug it is less than 5k miles on odo and it has some accessories.
Toyota will thay as winter/travel beater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back