MILORGANITE Fertilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have NOT used it. If you are looking to become a conscientious lawn manager regarding environmental impact, it's always best to get a soil analysis done to have a base line of your soil nutrient levels and health, and then proceed from there. Not unlike caring for your body.

Milorganite would introduce an "organic" component to your lawn care that usually is a good thing.....microbes, organic matter, etc.. However, it contains NO potassium,a vital component for turf health. They don't address this on their site and you would want to apply supplemental K if your soil tested low. They also don't address pH....I would investigate that.

Phosphorous - many lawns don't require additional P (soil test) and even though the Milorganite P is more "stable" and less likely to leach, you could be adding a nutrient that is not needed AND could eventually leach.

While a regular fertilizer is applied at around 3 to 4 lbs./1000 sq. ft., the Milorganite is applied at 14 to 17 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft.. How does the cost work out?

Taking all this into account, I would consider it not as an organic cure all, but as "maybe" an alternative in conjunction with other lawn feeding programs. Lawnsite.com has an entire forum on organic lawn care if you wish to delve into that.

There's lots of opinions on lawn care. I personally think that the wide spread hyper chemical approach is wrong. But, I also believe that moderate, well thought out use of non-organic products is o.k. too. Some argue to feed the plant, while others argue to feed the soil. Balance and moderation is what I do. Returning the clippings to the lawn is excellent.

Milorganite is available in FL, I have used it with good success, especially with plants, flowers and vegetables. You can't "over-fertilize" (thus burn them) with Milorg. unlike many chem fertilizers.

For Yards, I still use a chem fertilizer because Milorg is not as cost effective

Milorganite, is an excellent summer fertilizer in my area (Northern Virginia). It 100% organic, and therefore slow release, and is very mild, which is important during the summer. Finally, it contains 4% iron, again, a very important component to a summer fertilizer. Iron helps the lawn turn green without adding a heavy growth component that would increase the lawn's need for water.

I tend to use high end fertilizers on the lawns I work on - and for me, an application of Milorganite is cheaper than the fertilizers I use in the fall.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

While a regular fertilizer is applied at around 3 to 4 lbs./1000 sq. ft., the Milorganite is applied at 14 to 17 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft.. How does the cost work out?

I can buy the 36 pound bag of Milorganite at my local co-op for $7.99 per bag. Compared to the price of Scott's fertilizers, it's about half the cost.

I'm going to try some for a few applications using a drop spreader to see how it works on my lawn.

The arguments against milorganite and any other sewage based fertilizer is the heavy metal content. I'm neutral on the subject, just letting you know. 8 bucks a bag is a pretty good price compared to my locale. I've heard it is a pretty good deer repellant too.

Johnny, I think Milorganite is a great product based on what I have read about it. I have not priced Scotts (please fill me in). They are very high quality products also, but I am guessing that they are much more expensive because you are paying for the brand name recognition.

Could you show me how it is half the cost?

In my scenario, I buy high quality slow release fertilizer from John Deere Landscapes (formerly Lesco). 24-0-11 at $17 per 50lb. bag this year.

At the lower rate of 14lb/1,000 sq. ft., the Milorganite works out to $3.20/1,000 sq. ft. My fertilizer at 3 lbs./1,000 works out to $1.00/1,000 sq. ft., AND it includes the potassium component.

You have to compare apples to apples....equal amounts of N applied. HOWEVER, you cannot discount the other beneficial results of the Milorganite to the overall lawn health.

Regarding the heavy metal content, I guess we have to trust the government regulations on this one and assume they wouldn't allow an unsafe product be applied to areas children play on.

It is incinerated feces. Some have issues with this, some do not. I cant place my finger on the issue (minerals were mentioned above but I think there were more issues than this) but I cant recall right now.

Ive used it, but ive used nothing for the last two years any my lawn is still green.

"Milorganite" is Class A sewage sludge biosolids from the industrialized city of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Sewage sludge biosolids is prohibited in USDA certified organic gardens.

WISCONSIN - Summer, 2007: Milwaukee, had to spend over $4 million to scrape tons of Class A sewage sludge "Milorganite" off 30 public parks and playgrounds because it was contaminated with toxic, carcinogenic PCBs (polychloride biphenyl ethers). Some PCB levels in the sludge exceeded EPA superfund limits and had to be disposed of at great expense in an EPA-licensed hazardous waste landfill. Between 2007 and 2009, PCBs in Milwaukee sewers have caused 3 more incidents of PCB contamination of its Class A sewage "biosolids" Milorganite. Industrial dumping was named as the source of the PCBs in sewers.

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/4284

On February 22, 2010, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel revealed that Milwaukee sludge containing up to 1100 parts per million of toxic lead was spread on Kenosha, Wisconsin farm fields. It is unclear whether any of the lead contaminated sludge also ended up in the Class A Milorganite sludge. EPA regulations limit the lead in Class A EQ sludge to 300 parts per million. http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/85012452.html

Its a good idea, but not when it has that kind of stuff. Id think that the PCBs would be destroyed in the incineration...

It's a bland fertilizer with NO microbes in. Due to the process of killing off the good and bad microbes it's similar to the cheaper process organic soils that kill off microbes and weed seeds. It's organic but empty. Not a good seed starter, you need to add some stuff. I do it all the time.

For good establishment lawns during the heated seasons with established microbe activity shouldn't be a problem as it becomes a good feeder for the soil's microbe life. Have heard about it years ago which didn't have good results because the lawn itself lacked microbe activity.

For colder weather I tend to stay away from non microbe fertilizers. Long term vision stay with an organic program, the man made stuff weakens the soil against diseases and bad stuff that can weaken the lawn.

I've used it here in South Florida. I don't think it's any good. I can pile it on and it does next to nothing. 16-4-8 conventional does a much better job.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I've used it here in South Florida. I don't think it's any good. I can pile it on and it does next to nothing. 16-4-8 conventional does a much better job.

Does Florida mandate slow release fertilizer because of run off into the Gulf. In heavy rainfall, man made fertilizers will leach off.

Did you fertilize with the 16-4-8 prior and then try the Milorganite? Reason the 16-4-8 or man made fertilizer will eventually alter the plants natural feeding cycle(nature's balanced soil structure) and the Milorganite with no microbe to break down the organic material.

What happens when you use man made fertilizer the plant's natural feeding will alter itself to feed on man made fertilizer. By switching to organic you need to understand the soil structure and the plant's natural feeding cycle will take time to change.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

What is the brand name of this 16-4-8?

========================================

Now a mention to Johnny.......

Milorganite is rather weak and it literally stinks for at least a week.

If you want a real cheap liquid fertilizer that works well, use Miracle Grow 24-8-16 for the lawn, shrubs, flowers...etc.

All you need extra is the spray bottle. Pour a bag of granules in the spray bottle - then very slowly pour hot water to the top of the bottle.

Apply it every 5 weeks and walk somewhat slow while discharging the product. Go over the entire lawn twice (it will not burn) and keep turning the spray bottle upside down a few times every couple minutes. That insures a good mixture coming out. When the bottle comes out relatively clear, you are done.

Rotate the yard areas every time you apply. One time start at the (hypothetical)front east. Next time start at the back west....etc. Depending on the size of your yard, you may need two bags.

Each Miracle Grow box comes in different sizes. The bigger boxes are cheaper to use. Be sure to read the numbers on the side of the box. They sell 3-4 different number variations. One might say 30-6-6. Another might say 20-20-20. I like the 24-8-16 best. It can be used on just about anything growing and does a nice job on lawns.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It is incinerated feces.

It's not incinerated, it's heated to 170°F (for 6 hours?). more like pastuerization, just hot enough to kill any microbes. The PCB issue a few years ago came about when a big old industrial sewer line was blasted clean with water pressure to clean it out. This broke loose decades worth of contaminants and caused Milorganite to have to recall and landfill 6 months worth of product. They supposedly now have more testing in place to prevent this in the future.

Johnny, I use Milorganite once in the very early spring. I was having problems with my grass being noticeably yellowish in the spring compared to the neighboring lawns. The 4% iron content of the Milorganite greens up the lawn right away in the spring, and eliminated spillage or over application causing problems with spot burning of the grass. No matter how careful I tried to be with applying chemical fertilizers, it always seemed to spill a bit too much somewhere. I don't bother using fertilizer during the rest of the year. And yes, Milorganite does have a peculiar, mild smell once it's applied. This smell seems to last only a few days.

I use Milorganite every year. It greens St. Augustine grass pretty well and has been a good general use fertilizer for the lawn.

Johnny,

Used it in the past with decent results. I just put down 8 sacks of it this evening - hoping to green up my lawn a bit.

Lesco is the preferred brand down here ;16-4-8 does the trick,but you can burn the lawn if you get aggressive. Every month to a three weeks at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back