CI-4+ vs. CJ-4 UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing regular UOAs on our MT665B Challenger tractor. Tractor has a Sisu 8.4L engine. Tractor is used almost exclusively to pull our 30', tri-axle manure spreader. The previous two UOAs were with Service Pro 15w-40 CI-4+ whereas the most recent was with Service Pro CJ-4. Tractor currently has 3388 hours. Engine is equipped with a centrifugal bypass filter which was part of manufacturers recall. If not listed its a 0.

Code:

Hrs. 220 250 300

Iron 29 31 20

Chrm 1 0 0

Alum 1 0 0

Copp 2 1 1

Lead 1 1 2

Tin 1 0 0

Sili 6 3 5

Sod 4 3 2

Pot 0 1 0

Moly 85 50 96

Bor 10 16 2

Mag 1161 914 807

Cal 1550 1303 1182

Bar 0 0 1

Phos 1340 1006 1050

Zinc 1504 1182 1188

Soot 1.5 1.9 .4

Vis 15.3 14.4 14.7

TBN 7.4 7.04 6.19

Ox 10 9 9

Nit 16 17 16

I was impressed by the reduction in soot. Does the formulation of a CJ-4 oil allow the soot to filtered out easier? This oil change I used Mobil Delvac 1300 which I got for like $6 a gallon after mail-in-rebate. Might try and push OCI to 400-450 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
One UOA isn't exacting proof taken in and of itself. However, when considered with all the other CJ-4 UOAs we see in all kinds of equipment, it's hard to debate the fact that CJ-4 lubes are every bit as good, if not better, than their predecessors. Good performance from Service Pro.

As for the soot, I'm not sure, but here's a guess. Soot is the byproduct of incomplete combustion. Presuming the way you're operating the tractor is fairly consistent, then the prodcution of soot should be similar from OCI to OCI. IOW - the rate of soot production probably isn't changing much. So, if the soot numbers are changing on the UOA, then it's how the oil is dealing with soot that's likely affecting the UOA. CJ-4 lubes were desgined with a much larger amount of EGR use in mind. The CJ-4 lubes have a stronger anti-agglomerate and detergent package. It's likely that the oil is keeping the soot smaller and in suspension "better". As to how that plays into a UOA, I cannot say with certainty. Again - one UOA isn't completely "telling". After several, you'll have more ability to say for sure; allows the exlusion of lab errors, and for "averages" to develop. But overall, what's not to like?

I presume the "hours" count is not cumulative, but successive for each OCI? I'd say that the CJ-4 lube is good for extending further, if these results are "typical" of the performance you'll get. The TBN certainly is strong enough to go further. I'd try at least 350 hours, and perhaps 400 hours on the next OCI.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, our farm has been already using ULSD for a couple years already. Our fuel supplier mearly adds a dye to on-road fuel. I don't think the reduction in soot comes from a different fuel as fuel should be the same across all UOA.

Hi,
sdan27 - When was the centrifuge fitted?

Delvac HDEOs are particularly good at soot management (have been for decades) and the centrifige is an excellent way of removing it from the lubricant! I suspect that dnewton is on the "right tram" in his response

Originally Posted By: Steve S
How big is your spread you have rather large equipment. A 30 foot manure spreader holds lots of poop.

Large dairy farms have manure pits as storage and these pits are large up to a million gallons and more of liquid manure that has to be pumped out on a regular bases and spread to fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back