Using 5W40 instead of 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I‘m considering using Rotella T6 5W40 in my Expedition on my next change instead of 5W20. Will this affect my gas mileage?

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
A couple of tenths of a mpg at the most.

Exactly right, in my experience.
I used Rotella 5W-40 for a number of changes in our old Aerostar, and the difference in fuel consumption over 5w-30 was undetectable.

I think you can use 5w30 without harm. Ive never heard of a 5.4 triton needing 5w40. You have to be careful you don't go too thick. You can starve the top end of oil. They tend to make the oil drain holes smaller these days for some reason.
I heard that it wasn't until 2009 that they actually need 5w20 to run properly. Something about the timing chain. I'm not quite sure. I heard about it on here. I just can't remember exactly the year and what the reason was that they required the thinner oil to actually run properly. I know in 2001 they require 5w20 but that was mainly for CAFE reasons.

I've had my best mileages in 5 years using 15w-40.

maybe over thousands of vehicles you could discern a difference, but not a single one, too many variables.

The four vehicles I tried 5W-40 over 5W-30 there was over 1 mpg difference after thousands of miles. Some here will say too many variables. Could be.

In all four cases vehicles felt slower, seemed to be a little less responsive rev wise..All were a tad quieter.

Going from %W-20 IMO the odds are you will see and feel a difference.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I think you can use 5w30 without harm. Ive never heard of a 5.4 triton needing 5w40. You have to be careful you don't go too thick. You can starve the top end of oil. They tend to make the oil drain holes smaller these days for some reason.
I heard that it wasn't until 2009 that they actually need 5w20 to run properly. Something about the timing chain. I'm not quite sure. I heard about it on here. I just can't remember exactly the year and what the reason was that they required the thinner oil to actually run properly. I know in 2001 they require 5w20 but that was mainly for CAFE reasons.
OK sounds good but Ford has an OASIS bulliton someone posted on BITOG saying to use 10w-40 to quiet the engine if there are complaints. Too many people hearing things.

I have a 1997 5.4 F150. It has had a steady diet of RTS 5W40 since I knew it existed. So at about 90,000 miles I switched to it. I now have 300,000 miles on it. I pulled the pan and end play is still in spec and when it was borescoped, you could still see the hatch marks. I tow a 26ft travel trailer and a 24ft open bow all over the place. I have always had excellent UOA's on average of 7500 mile OCI's unless there was a bunch of towing OCI's were shorter. I use this year round for one exception when I was in Canada fishing, I picked up some RTS 0W40 for one winter. Zero sludge. Ford Modulars are forgiving on what type of oil you use unless you have the 5.4 3V with VVT. I have heard on this board VVT can work slow with xW40's. Taxi fleets though had shown success with xW20's and I have seen some good UOA's with xW20's. If you try it, do a before and after UOA and then use whatever makes you sleep better at night.

I would try M1 0w40. It's a lighter 40-weight, but definitely heavier than what you are using now. It worked well in my 5.4L.

MMasz said:
I‘m considering using Rotella T6 5W40 in my Expedition on my next change instead of 5W20. Will this affect my gas mileage?

WHY ?......do you think your vehicle will perform better
than what the Ford engineers recommend? Your mileage will certainly be adversly effected...and your engine will run hotter in that hot Florida climate.

Thin is in...Stay with 5w20....just as Ford recommends.

As a compromise, I'd use Rotella T5 10w-30. It's a syn blend, but it's 90% of what T6 is, and somewhat less money than what the already cheap T6 costs, and a truckload less than amsoil.

I'd also say Motorcraft full syn 5w-30, but sadly that's a hard to find oil from what I've heard.

I also have a 2006 3V and I would only use what Ford recommends
In the ariz heat pulling a travel,I use 5qts MC 5w20 and 2 qrts
5w3o syn.

I really think we over think this. Most engines can survive on a variety of viscosities. Their are local governments that still use 15W40 Fleet Oil for everything from 4-Cylinder Compacts to Medium Duty Diesels including 3V VCT Fords and Hemi VVT Mopars. They are not having any increase in engine failures. On the other hand neither are the Agencies running 5W20 in Ford or Dodge Police Cars.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
I really think we over think this. Most engines can survive on a variety of viscosities. Their are local governments that still use 15W40 Fleet Oil for everything from 4-Cylinder Compacts to Medium Duty Diesels including 3V VCT Fords and Hemi VVT Mopars. They are not having any increase in engine failures. On the other hand neither are the Agencies running 5W20 in Ford or Dodge Police Cars.

Facts are meaningless! You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true! H.S.

Originally Posted By: Xstang
As a compromise, I'd use Rotella T5 10w-30. It's a syn blend, but it's 90% of what T6 is, and somewhat less money than what the already cheap T6 costs, and a truckload less than amsoil.

I'd also say Motorcraft full syn 5w-30, but sadly that's a hard to find oil from what I've heard.

I switched to the Rotella 10W-30 also. Stout oil at a bargain price and comes in the 5 quart container at Walmart.

if it was mine i would use 5w20 i use 5w20 in my modulars
be careful those modulars like the 5w20
in 2005 we had a number of 4.6 modulars from a state agency come here for engine work (we do a lot of state owned vehicles) all with under 70,000 miles...we were very curious because we don't usually see those modulars until after 200,000 and sometimes double that,,
well it turned out the person in charge of buying the oil ordered 20w50 because he believed thick meant better protection he soon found out that thin was in...i have been in the engine business a long time and i know 5w20 works well in the modulars...

Drew...your wrong.... i know this because im the one that owns the shop that rebuilds the engines for our state use a 15w40 or 20w50 in a modular and it gets towed in here especially in the winter..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back