High Pressure Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a grease that would work better than a standard lithium based #2 for my no till drill. The drill has coulter arms that pivot on pins and are pre loaded with heavy spring pressure. WHen in operation, the pins occilate back and forth about 10 - 15 degrees. The lithium grease I am using seems to not "stay put", and I am constantly having to grease those pins.

Was wondering if a 5% Moly would be better? If so, is a lithium complex or a calcium sulfonate base better? If the calcium is better, will it be compatible with the lithium that I have been using?

I was thinking about Amsoil Synthetic Polymetric Off road #2 would be a good grease, but would like to find something comparable that I can find locally. (Triton XD5, Omnigaurd XD5 etc) Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: kel1306
That's exactly the reason I was wondering about a moly type grease?

Most definitely a Moly fortified grease like Schaeffer's #238 will "stay put" we use it in everything from farm machinery to our excavating equipment,we find we grease less and get better wear results from this product as it has extra tackifyers in it to help it hold on longer also has a better thickener then lithium.

would work great in your application.(we use it in our 40 foot JD N/T drill too)

The Schaeffer's #238 mentioned by daman is a tough grease, but I have found it to be on the "thick" side for many applications. Their #221 is very popular for all-around use, and is priced a little lower.

There are lots of better-than-average greases out there, but most aren't on the shelf at your corner store. Texas Refinery, LE, Hydrotex, Primrose, Schaeffer's, and SWEPCO all make some "sticky" greases...and most of them are a big upgrade compared to the cheap stuff at the local auto parts store.

I have tried lots of different greases, but unfortunetly I haven't used the new AMSOIL grease or the others you mentioned. If you don't use a lot of grease it limits what you can get cost-effectively. Most of the specialty grease companies sell their grease in 30 or 50 tube cases. We use Texas Refinery 880 Crown & Chassis on all of our farm and excavation equipment, including the JD no-till planter. The planter gets greased once in the morning and runs all day without any issues.

If I remember right, the Schaeffer's 238 is an aluminum base grease. Will it be compatible with the Lithium I have been using?

Last edited:
Schaeffer's 238 ultra supreme grease is an aluminum complex grease that is 100% compatible with the lithium base greases, as are its sisters 221,229,274 that Schaeffers manufactures.

The 238 is not recommended for use in wheel bearings. Is that only because of the heat from the brakes?

Originally Posted By: kel1306
The 238 is not recommended for use in wheel bearings. Is that only because of the heat from the brakes?

Also with the 238 you could get bearing skip/drag because of the extra tackifiers in the thickener makes it sticky and thick, tho great in EP applications sometimes not good in bearings tho i have used it in them with out issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back