1954 Chevy Bel Air oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up an all original '54 Bel Air with the 235 I-6. What oil should I use in it? I typically run synthetic in everything I own, but I have a case of Valvoline All Fleet 15w40... would the HDEO be alright for this motor? Thanks!

15-40 would be an ideal oil but in the winter (if you drive the car) I'd make sure it's warmed up before you take off considering where you live.

Awesome car. Take a look at the oil that's in there and make sure you don't have 57 years of nondetergent oil use on your hands. Probably don't, but I did see that happen to a new owner to an old split window VeeDub. Kaboom.

Yes a diesel oil would be great for that old inline 6. We just did a bunch of work on one in a 55 Chevy Pickup (old style). We filled her up with Rotella 15w40 when we were done.

Ours did not have an oil filter on it. Does yours? A lot of people added one in later years.

Yep, mine has a filter that came stock from the factory. I bought it from a guy who had it in the family since new. It is all original and has 64K original miles. I'll try to upload pictures.

That's a nice clean '54 Bel Air! Very original, and very cool.

What are you plans for it?

To keep on topic, the 15W-40 would be just fine for the 235.

FYI, from my '54 owners manual, Chevrolet recommended a 20 weight oil for year round use, and thinner weight oils (20W, 10W, 5W) for winter use depending on the temperature.

Originally Posted By: mrausch82
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v637/volvoist/1954 Bel Air/

Let me see if I can load these directly on here.
1954ChevyBelAir007.jpg

1954ChevyBelAir008.jpg

1954ChevyBelAir001.jpg

1954ChevyBelAir006.jpg

1954ChevyBelAir002.jpg

Originally Posted By: drtyler

To keep on topic, the 15W-40 would be just fine for the 235.
FYI, from my '54 owners manual, Chevrolet recommended a 20 weight oil for year round use, and thinner weight oils (20W, 10W, 5W) for winter use depending on the temperature.

If 20wt is the spec' oil why on earth would you think a "15W-40 would be fine"?

For the OP, I'd use any 5W-20 dino and buy a bottle of Red Line Break-In Additive to increase the phosphorus level. One bottle should be good for about 5 oil changes.
I'd only consider running a heavier 30wt oil if the engine was well worn and the oil pressure warranted it.

I see no reason to run 5w20. I will not run it in the winter as it will usually be stored. Oil has changed a lot since the 20w spec. I agree that 15w40 is a good choice for this motor considering what folks here have said and what others have told me. If I do run it in the winter, I will use T6 5w40.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back