German made Fendt tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest UOA from our Fendt 926 tractor. The engine is a MAN D0803. Using Service Pro 15w-40 and an LF777 bypass oil filter I added a couple oil changes ago. Previously, the oil seemed to have a lot of soot in it which led to my adding the LF777. Oil has 453 hours on it and the tractor has 3933 hours. If element is not listed, its a zero. Iron was flagged a a minor level.

Iron 38
Sili 4
Sod 3
Pot 2
Moly 76
Bor 20
Mag 963
Cal 1534
Bar 1
Phos 1071
Zn 1090

Fuel Soot .9%
H2O Vis 14.9
TBN 5.77
Ox 11
Nit 19

Might go to 600 hours next.

38 doesn't seem like a lot of iron for 453 hours. If you extrapolated that to a highway driven engine at an average of 50mph that would be 22,650 miles.

Or maybe my logic is flawed but it doesn't seem so high to me.

I agree. 38 ppm iron doesn't seem a lot to me at 453 hours. What's the efficiency of the LF777?

You sure run a variety of equipment up there! Never a boring day in the shop. Fendt makes some nice tractors, too.

Another good UOA for Service Pro lubes.

Am I to understand that after 450+ hours, there is "zero" Al, Cu and Pb? I find that hard to believe.

38ppm of Fe is not bad performance at all for the hours, but at some point, the higher concentration still does pose a reason to OCI, and it might be getting there soon. Just because you have a desirable low wear rate, does not automatically mean that the total ppm count is always safe to continue. At some point, there is a reason for condemnation of the lube. Each element/characteristic will have a different "don't go past this level" point. Fe might be 40ppm, 50ppm, etc. Cu might be 100ppm. Soot might be 3% or 3.5%. Etc, Etc, Etc.

I'm not saying you're at that point yet with this combination; I'm saying you cannot look at a wear rate and think that is the only reason to stop or continue use of a fluid. Total counts also play into the considerations.

Last edited:
Per Polaris Labs, Al, Cu, and Pb were all zero. I was a little surprised myself. The LF777 is supposed to be 99% 30 micron, 98% 10 micron and 95% 5 micron.

I would apologize because I'm not trying to call you out about the Al, Cu or Pb.

I just find that VERY difficult to believe after 450+ hours of operation that zero ppm was present. It's odd to see any one of those at zero after the equivilant of 20k+ miles of operation. And to see all three at zero is astonishing.

No need to apologize. I've accidently left out wear metal totals in other UOA results I've posted in the past so it wouldn't be too much a stretch to think I did again. I called and asked at what point they get concerned about wear metal totals and I mean, obviously it depends a lot on total number of hours on oil but with Iron they said they don't worry too much till it gets to 98 ppm. I think Copper was like 40 ppm and Lead was 18 ppm. Of course I can't find where I wrote it down. The manual lists OCI at every 250 hours until you break 1000 hours total and then it goes to 500 hour intervals. In the past the oil has seemed real sooty and I'd get back UOAs with high insolubles and increased viscosity so I haven't gone that long till now. This time I'm using a CJ-4 oil as well. Some more of that Mobil Delvac 1300 I got for cheap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back