Nissan Matic D Automatic Transmission Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Auto Tranny Fluid is equivalent to Nissan Matic D?
I have a 2006 Nissan Altima with 4 speed automatic tranny with 160,000 miles on it. 2.5L Engine and its the Altima S model. They told me at the Nissan dealer I need to use the Matic D or this tranny fluid called Petra. I know surley there is something else that will work or maybe better than the matic D fluid. Be nice If I could get something at the local Walmart or Oriellys. I was thinking on Valvoline Maxx Life.

Any Input is appreciated. Thanks!

Also the Dealer told me there was no filter on my altima to change. They said just drain and fill. This has been done 3 times since new. Does anyone know if there is a filter to change if I drop the pan? Thanks!

Dexron III equivalent should work.

Originally Posted By: Honda2003
They told me at the Nissan dealer I need to use the Matic D or this tranny fluid called Petra. I know surley there is something else that will work or maybe better than the matic D fluid.

And how did you arrive at this conclusion?

search through the old posts. There is one somewhere that someone explained the different Nissan fluids. I believe matic D is a synthetic or blend. If i remember correctly, Castrol import multi vehicle is a highly respected replacement and is rated for matic D. It is pretty expensive so i would recommend ordering it from AAP and using a discount code. Good luck

Originally Posted By: Honda2003
Also the Dealer told me there was no filter on my altima to change. They said just drain and fill. This has been done 3 times since new. Does anyone know if there is a filter to change if I drop the pan? Thanks!

True. Their are no filters in the transmission, just a screen. Doing a drain and fill will get about five or six quarts out.

Honda2003,
I have the same car as you but, mine is an '04 Altima 2.5 S
I have used Mobil 1 ATF, Castrol IMV thus far with great succuss. You can use MaxLife ATF as well. Find it on sale if possible and you won't find a better/cheaper ATF for your tranny. And their web site says it a synthetic fluid. I just posted some information pertaining to this just recently.

I am looking at my Hayne's Manual(for Altima to 2006) as I am writing this and it only mentions ATF drain and refill but, I'd have to read further into the manual and see if there is anymore information. Should I find anymore info, I'll contact you via PM(in case you don't return to this post/subject) and post back here too for all to read as well.

I may check Rock Auto's site and see if a filter/screen and gasket are available. If so, then we'll know!

Last edited:
Hey Char Baby;

When you use a different brand of ATF, do ya have to make sure all of the previous brand of ATF is out? Or can ya just drain the five or six quarts out, then replace this amount with a different brand and mix the two different bands together?

Thanks in advance for your info.

Originally Posted By: DaHen
Hey Char Baby;

When you use a different brand of ATF, do ya have to make sure all of the previous brand of ATF is out? Or can ya just drain the five or six quarts out, then replace this amount with a different brand and mix the two different bands together?

Thanks in advance for your info.

I just do a drain and refill. Always have!

Also to Honda 2003, I have found a tranny filter and gasket at Rock Auto so, it can be replaced. I don't know if it need to be but, it's worth a try.

Last edited:
Cool thanks for all the replys. All Data and the manual says use Nissan Matic D or Dextron III/Mercon. I had it done today and it held just over 7qts on refill. The Mechanic used Dextron III Orielly brand fluid and told me it was as good as any other but said if I wanted name brand he would sell it to me but I would be wasting my money. Thanks all!!!

I did 2 drain and fills about a week apart on my boys 1999 Altima and 1999 Maxima. 4 qts drained out of the Altima both times and right about 4 1/2 qts each time from the Maxima. Used Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc both times and cars run great. (I didn't know these cars used the tranny fluid in the rear diffs!)

Easy job to do and the drain plugs are easy to get to.

JP

Originally Posted By: JPP
I did 2 drain and fills about a week apart on my boys 1999 Altima and 1999 Maxima. 4 qts drained out of the Altima both times and right about 4 1/2 qts each time from the Maxima. Used Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc both times and cars run great. (I didn't know these cars used the tranny fluid in the rear diffs!)

Easy job to do and the drain plugs are easy to get to.

JP

Neither of those cars have a rear diff. They are both front wheel drives. However another vote for Maxlife, works great in all the Nissans we have used so far at work.

Neither of those cars have a rear diff. They are both front wheel drives. However another vote for Maxlife, works great in all the Nissans we have used so far at work. [/quote]

*** Oops.... typo. I did mean Front Diff.... Must have been half asleep! The steering wheel is in the back seat, right??
crazy.gif

Since this subject has been brought up again, I will be changing out the Castrol IMV in my '04 Altima 2.5L/4 spd auto.

On the first startup of the day of after long periods of the car sitting(6-8 hrs), the 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd shifts have some "shift flare".

After driving, all shifts are normal again. It only happens during the 1st series of gear changes when starting out from a cold stratup. After coming to a complete stop(stop sign/red light), it DOES NOT happen again.

I changed the OE facatoy fill to Mobil 1 ATF after 3-4 yrs and then again 3-4 yrs later, changed from M1 to Castrol IMV.

I noticed slight changes in the shift pattern soon after the IMV change but, not as much as I notice the shifts today. The shift are not harsh, though there is just a bit of a slip between 1-2 and a bit more at 2-3 when cold.

I may try MaxLife or go back to using the Mobil 1

I made this statement in the past but, my mind has changed...
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Honda2003,
I have the same car as you but, mine is an '04 Altima 2.5 S
I have used Mobil 1 ATF, Castrol IMV thus far with great succuss. You can use MaxLife ATF as well. Find it on sale if possible and you won't find a better/cheaper ATF for your tranny. And their web site says it a synthetic fluid. I just posted some information pertaining to this just recently.

I am looking at my Hayne's Manual(for Altima to 2006) as I am writing this and it only mentions ATF drain and refill but, I'd have to read further into the manual and see if there is anymore information. Should I find anymore info, I'll contact you via PM(in case you don't return to this post/subject) and post back here too for all to read as well.

I may check Rock Auto's site and see if a filter/screen and gasket are available. If so, then we'll know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back