boat trailer wheel bearing maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often do you guys grease your wheel bearings? Also how often do you repack the bearings? What is the typical cost for repacking the bearings? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
While boating this weekend, I noticed many trailers in the parking lot had external grease zerks in the center of the hub, do you? If so I would imagine you could shoot some new marine grease in after every submersion in the lake to force the water out?

If not, you would have to take it all apart obviously and repack. I personally would want to do it at least once a year, but not any more frequently due to the labor involved. While on there check for bearing wear and replace as necessary?

With out doubt there is no reason to not have the real name brand Bearing buddies installed on a boat trailer with proper understanding on how to use them. The Bearing Buddies will virtually eliminate routine bearing maintenance and failure. I have used them on my boat trailer since 1971 to 2003 without bearing failure.

My trailer has red eye bearing protectors on it. It's supposed to tell you when the bearings are full of grease but I have no idea how to read them. It has a red washer on the zerk fitting. I don't really like them. How hard is it to change them out for normal bearing buddies?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back