Oil For 2011 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everybody,

I just bought a new 2011 Silverado 5.3L with AFM and was wondering what oil people are having good results with in this engine.

I just found out today about the dexos requirement and according to the manual it came from the factory with dexos in it. Are all dexos approved oils synthetic oil? Also, at what mileage do you suggest for the first oil change?

Thanks Everyone!

Most people dump the factory fill around a 1000 miles. I think the 5.3 liter uses 5w30. Check the owners manual.

If you're not gonna be towing heavy or working the truck very hard just use what the manual asks for.

Same here, 2011 Silverado with AFM. I did the first change at 2500 miles. I have a little over 4k on the odometer now. As mentioned Mobil 1 in regular and EP flavor as well as Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability are all dexos approved and fairly easily found. I did my first oil change with the Pennzoil Platinum and AC PF48 filter. I've run Mobil 1 in previous GM 5.3's with good success, but like the UOAs of SOPUS products I've seen on BITOG. Any of the three would do a super job. I may give the Quaker State a try on my next change, but it is a little harder to find in my area than the other two. Good luck with the truck; if you love it half as much as I like mine you'll have many miles of fun.

UOA004-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: jots93
Also, at what mileage do you suggest for the first oil change?

In my 2010 F-150, I did my first OC at just
I think you would do well to change the oil early and often at the beginning. My UOAs support the concept that a fair amount of wear occurs during the first 5K and then tapers off. See my UOAs showing from 0 to 21,600 here.

Best of luck with your new truck!!

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
In my 2010 F-150, I did my first OC at just div>

+1. Not an F-150, but that's the way I did it too, right or wrong.
cheers3.gif

This is my new car formula (been doing it for a while) do an OC at 1k, 3k,6k or there abouts, and do what your manual recommends after that.

Quaker State Ultimate Durability (QSUD)
is AWESOME oil, with a good price, I highly persuade you to at least try it.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Most people dump the factory fill around a 1000 miles. I think the 5.3 liter uses 5w30. Check the owners manual.

Most people DO NOT dump their new vehicle oil at 1K.
Most change it at 3K.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
This is my new car formula (been doing it for a while) do an OC at 1k, 3k,6k or there abouts, and do what your manual recommends after that.

Quaker State Ultimate Durability (QSUD)
is AWESOME oil, with a good price, I highly persuade you to at least try it.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Wow! A lot of Great answers, thanks everyone.

I'm leaning toward 1,000/3,000/5-6,000 initial changes. Seems Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 might be my choice as well.

Thanks Again!

Most GM dealerships in Texas use 10w-30 oil. I dumped factory fill at 2500 and again at 5k. Used Penn Platinum 10w-30 with AC Delco or WIX filters and changed every 5k miles and reset the OLM.. I would get monthly updates from ONSTAR telling me to go to 10k OCI's...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jots93
...according to the manual it came from the factory with dexos in it.

The factory fill dexos that is in your truck is AC Delco dexos which is semi-synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Most people DO NOT dump their new vehicle oil at 1K.
Most change it at 3K.

I'd argue that it is 1,000 more often than not. Most everyone I know, including myself, change the factory fill out a 1,000 or 500.

Last edited:
QUOTE]

The factory fill dexos that is in your truck is AC Delco dexos which is semi-synthetic.

[/quote]

Thanks Jehartly,

So it would be alright to fill with full synthetic Pennzoil Platinum at the 1,000 mile change and on? Thanks

Sure. Pennzoil Platinum is an outstanding oil. It doesn't run as smooth as I'd like in my 4.8, but I know several people with the 5.3 that run it and love it. My 4.8 ran better on Quaker State Ultimate Durability. You should be fine with whatever you choose, though.

Last edited:
since there is virtually no difference except displacement between 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0/6.2 GM V8's it's really hard to grasp comments like this^^^!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
since there is virtually no difference except displacement between 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0/6.2 GM V8's it's really hard to grasp comments like this^^^!

In my experience, the friends I have with the 5.3 love PP, and the engine, when driving it myself, does seem pretty smooth. In my 4.8, it didn't run very smooth at all, so I have put both Quaker State Ultimate Durability and Mobil 1 in it and it runs very smooth.

What's there to "grasp"?
smirk.gif

Last edited:
2011 Silverado Z71 5.3 Bought it in Nov. Didnt know about BITOG then. Found BITOG, immediately dumped the factory fill at 2100 miles, filled with PP 5w-30 ACdelco filter. OLM still reads 21% and the emails from ONstar are estimating a 6600 OCI im dumping mine at 4500 since im a volunteer fire fighter and on occasion it gets the living [censored] ran out of it. Never thought about using anything different even though the hours I spend stalking this site having me wonder WHAT IF...... If you use something else let me know how your truck likes it. P.S. Welcome to your new obsession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back