STP and Dollar General Motor Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at a Dollar General yesterday, noticed they carried a house brand and also STP oil. I have never heard of either of them and was wondering if there were any opinions on them. Did a search and saw STP had been discussed before, but not recently. I believe both oil's were API SM. Thanks

In 1995 I worked for Kragen auto parts and they had STP oil. I used it in a 345 International and a 360 Dodge with no problems. It met whatever was the latest standard back then.

In 1996 I moved to Cincy, Oh and it was pretty popular there.

Why mess with these questionable products when you can buy a reputable Chevron Supreme at Costco for less than $2.50/quart (or $1.67/QT when on sale with coupon)?

The key to buying just about any store-brand product is to figure out who made it for them......

Originally Posted By: Xstang
The key to buying just about any store-brand product is to figure out who made it for them......

What would that tell you ??.... would the store brand be the same "recipe" as the branded oil from that manufacturer ?
I believe the API rating is most important... if the oil in the container is indeed up to the rating (that's another question).

(The Canadian Heinz processing plant is located here and they do a lot of "co-packs" for other companies/retailers. The folks in the cook-room have different recipes for the different end users)

STP's 'glory days' were the 1970's, for sure.

They had their oil treatment (no. 1 selling brand); their 10W-50 '15,000-mile' oil; their 'silver bullet' double filter.

It's all petered out since then - they don't sell oil anymore, andf their oil and fuel treatments are just cash-cows for Clorox - there's no real 'research' or passion to them anymore.

Funny you mention that, my local DG has this STP oil too, doesn't look like a whole lot, but they still got some; likely slow moving stock
smile.gif
I'm willing to bet they don't make it anymore :p

But yea, if it meets the API specs (the donut on the back) for your vehicle, be rest assured it'll do you well as either a top off oil, or a full 4-6k OCI....likely SL or SM rated or somesuch.

Kinda cool how you walk into stores and each store has their own brands...

Went to target last night "on a whim" (I was in the area, and never really go into there.....) and obviously, went to the auto section, seems all they had was "Mobil Special" what appeared to be some sort of conventional oil
smile.gif

And yea, when I went to DG If I recall, there was STP, or some Warren product, so I took for the STP product, since I'm fairly familiar with Warren (distributor of SuperTech in my area...) and figured I'd give the STP a try, worked good as a top off oil 2 OCIs ago.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
They had their oil treatment (no. 1 selling brand); their 10W-50 '15,000-mile' oil

I bought some of that STP 10W-50 on sale at "Towers" back in the day to run in my Ford Capri.
According to STP of 20 years ago, a 5% dose of their oil treatment will increase a 5W-30 to a 15W-50.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: addyguy
They had their oil treatment (no. 1 selling brand); their 10W-50 '15,000-mile' oil

I bought some of that STP 10W-50 on sale at "Towers" back in the day to run in my Ford Capri.
According to STP of 20 years ago, a 5% dose of their oil treatment will increase a 5W-30 to a 15W-50.

Very cool to know - I wasn't sure if it was ever sold up here, it hasn't been for years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back