First cycle adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I go back to my grandfathers after some shopping this morning, and he's changing the oil in his motorcycle. (Choice of oil and filter at the bottom for the true BITOGers). It's a 1988 Harley Davidson Sporters, originally 883cc, he had it bored out to 1200cc a few years ago. 4 Speed manual, electric start etc. 18k miles on it.

Asked if I wanted to drive it. Said sure, put on jeans, helmet. Had a little trouble with getting going (kept stalling it out with the clutch), eventually figured it out. Went 100 feet, turns out we had forgotten to turn the fuel back on, so I'm on the side of the road (these are quiet, semi-rural residential streets, so not a lot of traffic or pedestrians.

Finally figured out the fuel needed turned back on, and was on my way. Drove in a loops. Man that thing is fun, especially once you get the hang of shifting the thing. Did end up speed a little bit *whistles innocently*. Only thing is that particular bike is rather top heavy, but I did alright. I want to get one, a cheaper, something a little smaller to learn on. Definitely wouldn't want to ride it on busy streets, at my experience level.

Here are pics of it.

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

v
IMG_0335.jpg

For the bitogers, here is the oil change.
Reason for fram filter is they were the only ones they carried in chrome.
IMG_0336.jpg

LOVE Harleys. Desperately want one. BUT, not a fan of the Sportster. It being top heavy is a problem for me. And the vibration.

Then again, if someone gave me one I would take it in a heartbeat.

I do have to say my thighs hurt from holding it up at stops, and my wrists and hands hurt from the clutch and braking, not used to it.

Love the compass/thermo/clock gizmo! My grandpa had a compass proudly screwed into the dash of his 1984 Crown Vic Station wagon! And a CB radio.
wink.gif

Old guys.
lol.gif

Good to see a bike without billet, BTW.

Glad you had fun - looks like a neat bike to start out on!

Nick, where you are, do you have to have a separate motorcycle liscence to drive a bike, or will your DL suffice?

Up here, you can't even get on a bike w/o a proper mc licence.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Glad you had fun - looks like a neat bike to start out on!

Nick, where you are, do you have to have a separate motorcycle liscence to drive a bike, or will your DL suffice?

Up here, you can't even get on a bike w/o a proper mc licence.

Out in the sticks you can get away with a few things... I used to commute to work on my dirtbike when I was 14-15, cop stopped me once crossing a highway and gave me a warning... After that I pushed my bike across the highway and didn't have any trouble after that.

I have to say what great grandpa Nick has, good to let him try his bike.

if you decide to ride, absolutely look into the motorcycle safety foundation courses. they are a) FUN b) cheap c) critical at passing down best techniques to make u a better rider and possibly save your life. worth every penny. you also get some seat time, so you can really make a better decision regarding what to buy, and if it's really right for you. even experienced riders benefit from the basic course. and any rider that said they didn't need them, I wouldn't ride with. you can watch a rider and see if they have proper technique, proper skills, or not. most of the time, in my limited experience, it correlates with who has taken the course.

Also even if you're just in school and all that and do the MSF course and get the endorsement, in ten years when you get your midlife crisis bike the ins co will see you've had your license for ten years and might consider you "experienced".

It never hurts to have as many licenses and endorsements as you can get, in case they tighten the rules later. Same goes with stuff you need for work.

No,man. You don't want one of those crude,over priced,slow rollers. Get a used Japanese bike and take the MSF course. Stay safe,man.

Apparently my dad got his motorcycle license, and is going to purchase a used Honda 600CC bike, which I presume is the Shadow VLX, as it is the only non crotch-rocket (my parents HATE those) Honda with a 600cc V-twin from what I can find. When I get back from vacation in a few days, I'll see what's what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back