Hyundai vs Bosch vs Wix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did the first 3000 mi oil change on our 2011 Elantra. They botched the oil change on our first one and we had to wait 3 months to get a replacement car. 72 mile round trip to dealer to get the Hyundai oil filter, so would rather drive 3 mi to get a Bosch or Wix. The Hyundai filter gets best reviews, and looks better as well.

I used Castrol 5W - 20 this time and plan to switch to synthetic at next oil change.

The parts guy at the Zone told me that all wix filters have filter media for Synthetic. T or F? How about the Hyundai Filter?

I plan to autopsy the Hyundai filter I removed. Any advice about how to do, what to look for?

How to find specs for the oil filter relief valve for different makes?

Originally Posted By: spot
They botched the oil change on our first one and we had to wait 3 months to get a replacement car.

The parts guy at the Zone told me that all wix filters have filter media for Synthetic. T or F? How about the Hyundai Filter?

Are you saying they messed up the oil change and ruined the engine? I'm surprised you got a new car and not just a new engine.

As far as the special media for synthetic oil, that is pure B S. Are you sure he didn't say it had synthetic media, meaning the media in the filter is man made?

Last edited:
The Hyundai filter is a well made filter but imo, not better Bosch Premium, Wix or even a Pure One (same as Bosch). Yes, Wix advertises 'glass enhanced' media, which implies 'some' synthetic media content. Doesn't mean it's specifically for synthetic oil.

So use a Bosch Premium, Wix or Pure One with confidence. Though not generally an issue, specs for bypass can be found at the filter brand website for the particular application.

How did they botch the oil change?

I'm curious as to how they botched it up as well.

I cut old filters open with a rotary tool (dremel).

All oil is compatible with all other oil and all filters are compatible with all oil.

Any of those filters are fine.

It's 12-15 PSI on the Purolator filter for your car. It's 8-11 for Wix. Not sure about Bosch or Hyundai.

Wix media is: Media: Paper

It sounds like they forgot to remove the other gasket and they had a double gasket. It happened to me at a quicky lube place and oil went every where on start up! I was lucky that it did not happen on the road.... Because you have had a major issue with a screw up, I would use the Hyundai filters to preserve the warranty, and use the drain intervalts and grade of oil required by them... Or take it to a lube place you trust.... Good Luck

Hyundai filters are built like tanks and for $6 a pop are a screaming deal. If you don't wanna drive to get them simply stock up and get the case discount, or buy online.

I plan to use nothing else for my 2011 Sonata.

Originally Posted By: Veilside
Hyundai filters are built like tanks and for $6 a pop are a screaming deal. If you don't wanna drive to get them simply stock up and get the case discount, or buy online.

I plan to use nothing else for my 2011 Sonata.

Agreed. I heard nothing but good about the Hyundai oil filters and the price is right!

The Hyundai filter gets best reviews

Reviews by who?

Originally Posted By: steveh
Who makes Hyundai filters?

Don't know but mine say "Made in Korea".

You DO NOT have to use ANY Carmakers oil filter to preserve the warranty that I know of.

Can someone please enlighten me if you know of any.

MOST filters are paper media. WIX, Napa Gold, Carquest(Blue) are the same filter made by Affinia. Good quality filter along with PurolatorOne/Bosch. You can not go wrong with any of those filters, use those brands regularly an "disect" them upon their end of use. Both have their Pro's and con's, but have worked excellently for me.
If you don't have a Dremmel or filter cutter, it is difficult to keep a clean cut w/out metal everywhere.

Only total "synthetic fiber" oil filter I know of on the common market is The Fram X-TENDED Guard at WM, and Royal Purple at PepBoys. No need for these filters, but they are great filters. Paper is fine especially for shorter OCI's.

There are none. In the US anyways it is illegal to do so. Hyundai says if you have noise change it.
Their engines have small oil pathways to keep the pressure up
and use a smaller pump to conserve fuel. So flow through the
filter is critical.
Ken

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
You DO NOT have to use ANY Carmakers oil filter to preserve the warranty that I know of.

Can someone please enlighten me if you know of any.

MOST filters are paper media. WIX, Napa Gold, Carquest(Blue) are the same filter made by Affinia. Good quality filter along with PurolatorOne/Bosch. You can not go wrong with any of those filters, use those brands regularly an "disect" them upon their end of use. Both have their Pro's and con's, but have worked excellently for me.
If you don't have a Dremmel or filter cutter, it is difficult to keep a clean cut w/out metal everywhere.

Only total "synthetic fiber" oil filter I know of on the common market is The Fram X-TENDED Guard at WM, and Royal Purple at PepBoys. No need for these filters, but they are great filters. Paper is fine especially for shorter OCI's.

But if you don't want to risk the 10yr/100K drivetrain warranty it would be smart to use them (although under the Magnuson-Moss Act you shouldn't HAVE to use them). Fleetguard Stratapore & Bosch Distance Plus filters also have synthetic media.

Q How did they botch the oil change?

They said the the old gasket stuck to the engine. I ust looked at the filter I took off. It is not just a thick flat one like you usually see. It has a complicated shape and has a flange that is held in place by a crimped part of the filter body. Seems like if it did stick to the block, that it would immediately on startup. The oil was apparently lost all at once during rush hour traffic.

Q: If you don't wanna drive to get them simply stock up and get the case discount, or buy online.

A: Where to get Hyundai oil filter online?

Q: Who makes Hyundai filters?

A: I have read that Hyundai claims they make them in Korea.

Q: You DO NOT have to use ANY Carmakers oil filter to preserve the warranty that I know of.

A: Read that Hyundai has PDF listing which oil filters dhave caused oil problems w/Hyundais, Fram being one of the culprits. Tried to download to no avail. Anybody have a good link to that PDF?

I would think that if you used one of those filters, they would rightly void the warranty.

Any Hyundai specs for filter oil pressure?

Originally Posted By: Ken42
There are none. In the US anyways it is illegal to do so. Hyundai says if you have noise change it.
Their engines have small oil pathways to keep the pressure up
and use a smaller pump to conserve fuel. So flow through the
filter is critical.

Ken

If Hyundai engines have oil passages and small oil pumps, then the output volume would be lower than most other cars, and that in turn would make the flow performance of a filter even less critical. Their noise issue is probably more to do with the sealing ability of the ADBV than the flow performance of the filters used.

To clarify, Wix advertises "Glass Enhanced "cellulose media(click on media). Meaning it's part synthetic, at least that's what's implied.

As mentioned, Hyundai cannot void warranty simply for aftermarket filter use. The Bosch Prem. or Wix will serve you just as well. Use with confidence, no need to go out of your way for OEM.

As for the botched oc. Hard to believe, with the non flat design that the gasket stuck to flange. The P type gaskets generally are attached the filter body, as you mentioned. Also, that they did not check and clean before installing new filter. However, filters installed from the factory do tend to be tight.

Seems to be a bit of a range in the aftermarket Oil Filters PSI specification . Any one know the PSI specification of the Hyundai Oil Filter ? I derive a 2010 Elantra and have only tried the Hyundai Oil Filter .

For 6.00 the Hyundai filter is a great filter at a great price. THose others mentioned will also be great filters but at what cost? I believe all of those are normally more expensive then the Hyundai one. That being said I have used Napa Gold adn now I stocked up on Bosch Distance Plus filters for my 09 Sonata because I got them for 3.75 a piece. Cant beat that deal.

EVERY engine runs the risk of a knock when using ANY aftermarket oil filter. Shoot, my first car and my truck BOTH knocked when using fram filters.

Hyundai/Kia go great lengths to emphasize how important it is to use only OEM... shoot, they use Ecore filters as an example of "poor" quality in the posters at the dealership, here in town.

Last edited:

A: Where to get Hyundai oil filter online?

Check ebay I got a 6 pack from a Kia dealer for a good price. Just search by the part number 26300-35503.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back