How to check exhaust leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Bronco has an exhaust leak but I can't tell where. How do people check for exhaust leak?

Thanks.

Try having someone put a fluffy rag over the pipe and then put their hand over the rag. Might want to use a leather glove. Once you get that on you will see that the exhaust is fighting you, but you will quickly see where the leak is. If you have dual pipes it will get a little trickier.

Thanks. Hopefully, it is after the cat so I can get a Flowmaster exhaust system if the leak is bad and not easily fixable.

Is this that leak that the shop you were dealing with when trying to get it safetied told you about?

Here's how I've done it before: Get a piece of firewood about the right size, cut and whittle down a 'cork' that will wedge into the end of the tail pipe. Drill a 5/8" hole in the middle. Tap it into the end of the tailpipe. With the vehicle nice and cold (so the exhaust isn't hot yet), start it and let it idle. There will be plenty of pressure in the exhaust system- so you can just run your hands all along the manifolds and the pipe and feel where it's coming out.

Turn the car on. Drive it on a lift, raise the car and feel for air leaks.

Last edited:
If you can't find a leak, then what make you think it has a leak?
33.gif

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
33.gif

He probably smells it.

I don't know which engine you have, and I'm not too familiar with Fords anyway. But lots of engines out there have a rather flimsy EGR pipe that can easily crack and/or rust. It would be worth looking at.

There should be some black tell tale soot at the location of the leak. But getting an assistant to cover the tailpipe with a heavy towel should reveal it rather quickly.

If I ever got a header leak, I could always hear it louder when in drive with a little load on the engine.

Don't hold the rag on the ex pipe! What for?
Jam one in the exhaust, and go about your checking business.
the car will run for 12/ min or so. Revving it can help

\\

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Is this that leak that the shop you were dealing with when trying to get it safetied told you about?

Yeah. I can't tell if it is a leak or just old. My steering wheel wrapper also has that smokey smell and it is new so I don't know if it is that or the car. I have the windows down when I am driving it so I can't tell.

Originally Posted By: onion
Originally Posted By: MarkM66
33.gif

He probably smells it.

I don't know which engine you have, and I'm not too familiar with Fords anyway. But lots of engines out there have a rather flimsy EGR pipe that can easily crack and/or rust. It would be worth looking at.

I smelled something smokey but I can't find the leak visually. My steering wheel cover/wrapper does have a smokey smell so I don't know if that is what I am smelling or not. I never had a car with exhaust leak so I don't know what noise to listen for. Additionally, a 351M Windsor is a lot louder than what I am used to so noise inspection may not be the best bet.

If there is a leak, I do want to fix it and rather replaced the entire muffler with something nice and has good exhaust note than patching it, unless the patch job is simple. From what I heard, most shop makes money from the diagnostic of the problem and charge 1 hour flat rate to fix it. I could have the muffler replaced for less in labor if the leak is from the muffler. However, I don't know and never own car thing rough a shape.

My Corolla's muffler rusted through at one section and cracked in two but I had one shop put a sleeve over it and welded it on. That only cost 57 dollars but that is because I know what the problem was and came to the shop with a work order. The shop did insist that I had the entire muffler replaced but that would have cost a lot because my Corolla use a one piece system. If I was going to do that, I would definitely have more research in and get a nice ricer muffler just for kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back