Used Motorcycle pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been searching a while now for a good used bike. I've seen many nice bikes that I'd be interested in. I've never bought a bike before and I'm having a hard time figuring out fair pricing on the bikes I like. I've been using KBB and NADA as guidelines. The owners of these bikes always seem to price them much, much higher than retail/avg. retail prices, per KBB and NADA. Is there a reason for this? Am I missing something. Wouldn't a seller think one would peruse these guides for info before offering on a bike? I want to offer a fair price but feel offering $1500 (just an example) less than asking might be insulting. All of the bikes I've looked at were nice but not anything custom built, most just stock units. My method as a starting point has been to use NADA values (a little higher values than KBB), plus extras, and take the average of the avg. retail and low retail. Is this fair or do I need to take another approach. For those who have bought used, your opinions would be highly valued. For those who sold bikes how did you arrive at an asking price? Thanks.

Maybe it's a regional thing?

I bought two used bikes and sold one last year. All transactions were within the "low retail" to "average retail" bracket as indicated on NADA for my locale.

This same pride affects cars like Toyotas and Hondas too.

It's easy enough to put down (to oneself) a car that you've driven everyday and is getting tiring. Much harder to part with a bike that's part of a free living lifestyle you haven't found time for, and not racked up the mileage you hoped.

Hope someone gets divorced and the bike needs liquidating.
lol.gif

When you find a bike your interested in look up the price on the NADA site. Be sure to list all the added equipment. Then gauge the condition by what is posted on the site. Don't just look at the price that pops up, look at the bottom of the page where it says its usually the beginning point of negotiation. KBB also has a site for bikes but it can be hard to find.Then look at the EBAY motorcycle listings, at what people are asking. Then look at the completed sales page. The prices in green are what they really sold for. It might sound confusing , but you'll get a truer picture of the real values in today's market.Some people think their bike is rare, and expect to get every penny they ever spent on it back. Certain bikes command big $$$ even in a bad market, but in general all values are taking a hit so its a buyers market now.Chrome and other "upgrades" generally only return 10% of there cost when the bike is being sold. Good luck and happy hunting.,,

Motorcycles are different from cars- I used to work for Ducati and I've owned a 7 motorcycles since 2003. - To me a motorcycle is as close to flying as you can get. LOVE IT.

Generally, when looking for my next bike I Check ebay- plug in the exact model I wanted - "Ducati 749" for example and see what popped up and what they were listed at/sold at. Same with Craigslist. Type in a specific model. And compare all the sellers.
It won't take long before you see the good deals and the guys that want an arm and a leg.

Note that the prices you will pay now will be higher than come October. As you are in prime riding season. There are deals out there but you will have to jump on them quickly as 10 other people (as well as dealers) will be after it.

Some think they should be able to get back every cent they paid for this chrome piece or that accessory.
Pin striping may be attractive to the seller, but the buyer could care less; why should he pay extra for the paint.

Recent repairs, tune-ups, newer tires may add a little to the value but not dollar for dollar.

I'm sure we've all know people like that.

Sometimes, the prices on Craigslist are ridiculous.

You can buy a brand new American Lifan LF200iii for about $1600.

I see them on CL for $2000 or more
21.gif

Wishful thinking on the part of the buyer? Maybe they post an artificially high price in anticipation of haggling.

Same thing on a VF700C Magna I was looking at. It's a cool bike but not $3500 cool

As far as extras, I would not pay any more for something that was customized to the seller's taste. Buy the bike, not the bolt ons or paint. I don't care how much joe blow "put in to" it, and the end of the day it's still a X model with Y miles.

Originally Posted By: cbear
As far as extras, I would not pay any more for something that was customized to the seller's taste. Buy the bike, not the bolt ons or paint. I don't care how much joe blow "put in to" it, and the end of the day it's still a X model with Y miles.

I wouldn't pay extra for someone else's bolt-ons either. That's why I keep all the parts I take off my bike...like the seat and stock exhaust....so I can reinstall them if I ever sell the bike. Bikes are part of our own personality and what I like, the buyer may not.

One can always sell the bolt-ons separate and usually get some money out of them.

Last edited:
Hope someone gets divorced and the bike needs liquidating.
lol.gif
[/quote]

I know there are situations like that. I've been there myself.

Used bikes usually have the price jacked up because of the 'extras' the owner has added to it. I looked for a few months last year before buying a bike and ended up getting NEW. I got the bike for less than most guys were asking for the same bike USED (and several yrs older). But, of course they all had a bunch of add ons. I myself have already spent $500 on my bike for a windshield and engine guard. But, I'm not looking to sell so it's worth it to me. I actually argued with one dealership that was asking way too much for a used bike with what they said was $1200 worth of extras. I was like, SO WHAT, the bike is not worth that! You can't price out the add ons and add it to the price. The extras don't fetch retail value being used, everything depreciates. People want top dollar but won't get it. Shop around, deals are out there. I got a new last years model on clearance, plus a warranty. The dealer was glad to get rid of it, cheap.

Here on the west coast the KBB and NADA pricing is way low. Nobody ever gets a bike for those prices. Keep watching Craig's List and you'll get an idea of how prices run.

Originally Posted By: Sonic
Used bikes usually have the price jacked up because of the 'extras' the owner has added to it. I looked for a few months last year before buying a bike and ended up getting NEW. I got the bike for less than most guys were asking for the same bike USED (and several yrs older). But, of course they all had a bunch of add ons. I myself have already spent $500 on my bike for a windshield and engine guard. But, I'm not looking to sell so it's worth it to me. I actually argued with one dealership that was asking way too much for a used bike with what they said was $1200 worth of extras. I was like, SO WHAT, the bike is not worth that! You can't price out the add ons and add it to the price. The extras don't fetch retail value being used, everything depreciates. People want top dollar but won't get it. Shop around, deals are out there. I got a new last years model on clearance, plus a warranty. The dealer was glad to get rid of it, cheap.

When I add aftermarket parts to my bike, I take into full consideration before I buy them the cost of those mods, and I realize that cost in most cases can't be passed on to the next buyer. So if those parts aren't worth to me the full cost out of my own pocket, I don't buy them. Mods are usually only desired by the person making them and you can't count on recouping ANY of the money when it comes time to sell. Many times a buyer can come out of a purchase smelling like roses because they can end up with a lot of aftermarket stuff for no, or very little cost to them...

Up to a point, I agree.

Some accessories however, should add some value to a used bike.
Windshields, saddlebags (decent ones) and throttle lock/wrist rest are usually a 'can us-must have' for most owners or buyers.

My 2¢

Its a buyer market right now. Toys are the first thing to go and I have been seeing crazy low prices on Motorcycles and quads on Craigslist. I would not worry a bit about offering a low ball, so what if he is insulted. Think you will ever see him again after the sale? Maybe you are saving the bike from being repo'ed. As far as accessories. They dont mean a thing, they just sweeten the deal for the next guy. Thery may make it hold value on the bike better. But good luck recouping any of the costs. Alot of motorcycles dropped in prices. I know a couple of people that had almost $10,000 in a Polaris quad in 2007 and now you can buy the same quad as a left over, 2010 for about $7,000 or less. In the last year, I have bought several quads, Polaris brand(thats all I buy) 250cc to 400cc for less than $200. I felt a little guilty about the 2005. Wait watch and dont be afraid to throw a offer. Its your money you are saving and there are alot of people that need money now. If you dont get it, somene else will and for every quad, I bought, two got away.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Up to a point, I agree.

Windshields, saddlebags (decent ones) and throttle lock/wrist rest are usually a 'can us-must have' for most owners or buyers.

My 2¢

True, but you still can't count on recouping any of the money you spend on mods when you sell the bike. I plan on not recouping any, and if I do, bonus....

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Up to a point, I agree.

My 2¢

True, but you still can't count on recouping any of the money you spend on mods when you sell the bike. I plan on not recouping any, and if I do, bonus....

argeed, ive got close to $20,000 wrapped up in the R1 and KBB and Nada say its worth $4,500-6,500 ish.. I obviously have more than that just in aftermarket. but i shouldnt be expecting to recoup all that money.. i agree that 10-20% of aftermarket paid price may be considered in resale price. but for those that think there going to recoup all there coin, I WISH I LIVED ON THERE PLANET !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back