Need Help - Salvaged Title

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking for my first starter bike for the past few weeks. I found one that looked interesting: a 2003 Yamaha 650 V-star, 1007 original miles(?)asking $3500. So I got to thinking why would an eight year old bike have only 1007 miles. I e-mailed the seller and come to find out the bike had been hit in the front fender damaging the forks. Owner claims insurance fixed everything and it is in perfect shape but it now has a salvaged title. I have not seen it yet due to work and distance issues. KBB says bike retail should be $2965 (clean title) and $2010 trade-in. NADA is close to these figures. I'm feeling a little doubtful now. What do you all think? Pitfalls? Should I keep looking? Thanks for your input.

Skip it.

Unless the bike is significantly cheaper than a clean title bike (identical in features) its not worth it.

Its also not that hard to find a low mileage motorcycle.

Keep looking.

Usually a salvage title carries with it a severe discount (50%) even if the vehicle is "fully repaired". I would pass and look for a bike with a clean, unblemished title. Being above multiple book values is a no-go for me, too.

Yea, "perfect" no doubt means it was major damage and for sure will have a shoddy repaint job with who knows what lurking beneath.

Thanks all. I think I'll keep looking. I just don't get good vibes with this whole deal. I wouldn't have paid $3500 for a 2003 with a good title anyway. But I would have made a good faith offer. Oh well. I've got several others I'm looking at, a 2005 and a 2006 Honda Shadow. Anybody have opinions on the Shadow.

Salvage title generally means that the insurance company wrote off the bike. In some cases you can get a good deal if the repairs were done properly. A local salvage yard sells 'salvage titled' bike all the time. IF the frame is straight and no case damage to the engine, most cycles are repairable.
A salvaged set of forks off a bike hit in the rear would fix that bike right up. BUT as has been said, the price is out of line.

Until last month our local (Houston) Dealer was selling NEW "left over" Ninja 650s for $4999 and then his last two or so for $5499.

The Ninja 650 is not a low bar crotch rocket...and a nice bike at that price. You might try to hunt up one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back