Wasps under deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for ideas to keep wasps from building nests under my deck. Two summers ago, they built a nest and it got to a fair size (large grapefruit) before I found it while mowing the lawn and getting attacked. I struck at midnight, literally. I drilled a small diameter hole from above and into the nest (too small for a wasp to crawl through), rigged a funnel, and sprayed in from the top some wasp spray. I heard frantic buzzing for about 30 seconds, then all was silent and the deed was done.

This weekend, while on my deck, I noticed a wasp fly between the boards and go under the deck. I suspected a nest, and went to where I could look under (from a good safe distance), and saw that a queen had just begun construction of a new nest. An easy one to exterminate since it was one on one combat. I got out the (now old) wasp spray, and hoped it would shoot far enough to reach the nest from where I could see it (probably 10 feet away). The stream was able to saturate it just barely before fizzling out, and I saw the queen come staggering out before dropping to the ground. I waited about 30 minutes to be sure she was dead before hosing down the nest with a strong jet of water.

Last summer I killed off five nests in early stages, but none were under the deck (two inside the barbecue, two in the shed and one under the patio table), so I'm concerned this year will be another bad year for wasps.

I'll be doing minor repairs on the deck for damaged areas and staining it this year, and figured this is the perfect opportunity to wasp-proof it. The design of the deck is that there is about a quarter inch spacing between each board, and the sides are pretty much open with some useless flimsy lattice (I'll be closing that in). Clearance underneath is about a foot to a foot and a half at the highest level, and about half a foot at the lowest, so working from below is out of the question.

Ideas for techniques and/or materials needed to seal off the gaps above to insects, yet allow water to pass through are appreciated. Looking for a good balance between required effort, effectiveness and cost. I have several ideas for the sides already (allowing ventilation but not bugs or small animals) which is the easy part.

I had that problem last summer. This spring I called in a professional exterminator to treat the underside of the deck when I saw the first wasps flying under there. Haven't seen any since--except dead ones.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I gave up on trying to keep them out. I just stock up on wasp spray every spring.

+1
Dish soap and water at 20:1 kills bees and wasps instantly.
Very cheep, and non toxic. Also wont peel paint.

Get a roll of screen and staple it to the bottom of the joists.

If they can't get in, they won't build. Are your deck floorboard cracks tight enough they can't get in from above?

Throw some mothballs under there, might have to do it once a month, but it'll keep the wasps out and is cheap.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

If they can't get in, they won't build. Are your deck floorboard cracks tight enough they can't get in from above?

That's where they got in this time around. Thought of shifting all the boards closer together, but then I'd have to get some new boards that don't match with the weathering (though I do need to replace tiny sections as it is, but at worst that's maybe 6 linear feet total). I've thought about aluminum bug screen stapled to the underside of the floorboards and not the joists, by removing some of the boards and stapling below by reaching around from the top. Also wondered if I can get strips of something similar to fit in between and be held in place somehow, even if just under tension.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Throw some mothballs under there, might have to do it once a month, but it'll keep the wasps out and is cheap.

Not a bad idea. May do that if I can't find a viable option to have a physical barrier.

Last edited:
Having no gap in your deck boards is a problem when they change size from moisture content changes. Also it makes them rot faster.
I'm with Johnny, I just spray the odd nest that gets built in a problem area.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I like this chemical-free, long term method. I covered the sides of my mother's front deck, just behind the lattice, with black aluminum screen late one night when she had wasps under there. The nest was within a smaller deck that hadn't been removed when the current one was installed. The wasps were seriously [censored] off about that the next morning. My mother enjoyed antagonizing them because one had stung her earlier and the mailman had stopped delivering mail after being stung. A few managed to get out, but they couldn't get back in. Within a couple days there was just a pile of dead wasps. The screen is still there six years later and she's had no problems since.

For more accessible wasp nests, I've just sprayed them with the anti-wasp chemicals.

Dont want to kill bees... Very important for pollinating.

Wasps, hornets and yellowjackets are a hassle. My father used to just get a coffee can and knock the nest into it and put the cap on it.

Originally Posted By: 660mag
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I gave up on trying to keep them out. I just stock up on wasp spray every spring.

+1
Dish soap and water at 20:1 kills bees and wasps instantly.
Very cheep, and non toxic. Also wont peel paint.

Very interesting. You say it kills them instantly? I bought some great spray for wasps from my paint supplier. A yellow can, I can't remember the name, but it worked fast. I bought a cheaper version at HD and the wasps died but slowly. When you are painting 30' up and find wasps you want them to die FAST. The stuff from HD gave the wasps a fighting chance, and a great shot at scoring a final sting. The yellow spray bomb was awesome.

Thanks for posting! I'm not sure if I'd trust it for the instant kill, yet, but, I'll sure give it a try at ground level where I can run away if needed.

When I was a kid, I remember my dad kept some stuff around that would literally drop them out of the air and when they hit the ground, they'd be dead. No leg twitching, nothing.

I have had problems with Yellow Jackets. They are dangerous and can kill you! I had a nest that I tried to destroy with spray from a can at night (when they are all back in because they can't see well at night). It did not work and I had to call an exterminator.

Later I had to destroy two other nests that were starting up in my backyard. One in the wood of a gate and another under my deck.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I have had problems with Yellow Jackets. They are dangerous and can kill you! I had a nest that I tried to destroy with spray from a can at night (when they are all back in because they can't see well at night). It did not work and I had to call an exterminator.

Later I had to destroy two other nests that were starting up in my backyard. One in the wood of a gate and another under my deck.

Yellowjackets are nasty! Once when bike riding I got attacked by a small swarm. It was weird because they all started landing on me and crawling on me before they stung. Since I was riding, I mistook what it was until it was a bit too late. Weird.

660Mag is right, dish soap and water mixture works. It is especially useful on hard to reach places, such as yellow jacket nests in the ground, or wasp nests in think shrubs. I just mix a bucket up and dump it.

Originally Posted By: 47HO
660Mag is right, dish soap and water mixture works. It is especially useful on hard to reach places, such as yellow jacket nests in the ground, or wasp nests in think shrubs. I just mix a bucket up and dump it.

Yep it sure does! If it's a hard to reach nest, I'll use my garden sprayer, load it up with hot water and dish soap and have at it.

One cool thing I noticed on occasion around my house was a big'ol Blue Jay eating paper wasp larva! He'll (or she?) will eagerly pick them off from under my soffits, around the gutters, under the picnic table, etc. Good bird!

Joel

So, will any dish soap work? Can you put it in a spray bottle? We have the occasional pests. I used some "safe" spray -- which consisted of strong peppermint oil. It works pretty good, but not instantly. The whole back yard will smell of really strong toothpaste
smile.gif
I'm all out. Dish soap will obviously be cheaper. I have some Ortho poison shot spray, but the sprayer doesn't function correctly (it's old). I also want to shy away from the poisons due to the dog and kids always in the back yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back