What's a 1980 Volare worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a 1980 Plymouth Volare about 20 minutes away from where I live for sale. It's just sitting halfway up the guy's driveway with a faded For Sale sign in the window. Doesn't look like he's trying too hard to get rid of it, it's been there at least 6 months. It's got the 225 Super Six (2 barrel carb) and the 3 speed auto. Interior looks a little aged, the windshield has a crack running along the bottom and the rear bumper is rusted. The body doesn't look too bad, no obvious signs of severe rusting. No idea how it runs or drives. The few times me and my dad went to look at it, there was no one home and there's not even a number to call in the For Sale sign even! I really dig how the car looks, the square headlights look so much better than the round ones they had up 'til 79 (I think). Ya know, if I had some extra cash kicking around, I'd make the guy an offer...if I could ever get ahold of him/her.

Leave a note under the windscreen wiper.

If it hasn't been driven lately, I wouldn't take it if it were free. Fixing the rusted brakes and seals that are going to start leaking will exceed its value.

I've got a $1.83 in change in my pocket right now...

Those cars were a mistake even when they were new.

Tell him you will take it away for $50 that should by some brake pads. He will never get money for it, other than scrap .

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley!
grin.gif
If I could hear it run, I'd be tempted to just throw out a small offer just to see if the person really wants to get rid of it, or thinks it's worth its weight in gold.

I didn't think these were too bad of cars by the end of their production run. I was 3 when this car was made, so I really can't speak!

in 1980 those cars were more trouble than they were worth imagine now.... the 225 engine will outlast that car 10 times but dont drive it in the rain and dont go around a corner (right turn) too fast because the fuel bowl design makes the engine want to stall

The outside shape of those cars looks nice. And the 225 slant 6 was a very reliable engine in its time. You had to carry a spare ignition ballast resistor and know where it is located. Those can burn out anytime. You can snap the replacement in and dive it, and then bolt it in a few days later.

Unfortunately the outside design and the reliability of the 225 are the only good things you can say about any Volare.

The frame on those flexed real bad by the firewall. You could hear the dash groan when you came to the bottom of a hill, and the front wheels went onto flat ground. Probably why the windshield cracked. If it is flexing bad enough to crack the windshield once, it will probably crack any new one you would put in it.

Those cars were rust buckets. They would rust out before they were paid off. The early years did not even have a inner wheel well, not sure about the 1980.

The valves required adjusting every 10 K miles.

Modern oils without enough ZDDP probably did in the cam, lifters, and rocker-arms.

Expect the car to have rust everywhere. Probably does not have power steering, and probably does not have power brakes. Most people regret not having PS after driving one for a few months.

The torsion bar suspension is a real bone rattler.

Probably totally clogged radiator from age.

As for the real value of it, find out how much scrap yards are giving by the pound, and then find out how much it weighs.

Years ago someone told me if you are going to buy an old car, be sure it is a model worth having. The Volare is NOT.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Leave a note under the windscreen wiper.

If it hasn't been driven lately, I wouldn't take it if it were free. Fixing the rusted brakes and seals that are going to start leaking will exceed its value.

On the note, say, "You expect someone to buy this, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA."

Also expect the heater core to be clogged, and no heat.

The Volare was about as aero-dynamic as a brick wall. The top speed the car would do with a 225 was 79 MPH and that did not matter if you were going up a slight hill or down a big hill. Even with the 225 instead of an 8 cylinder, the best you will get on the highway is 17 MPG and more likely you will get something like 14 MPG.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
VOH-OOH-OH-LARR-RAY!!!

Ricardo Montalbán! So you also heard that in your head!
(Officially establishing that you are an old phart too.)
laugh.gif

But does it have fine Corinthian leather?
wink.gif

OK, we've established that it wasn't one of Chrysler's finest works, but it sure would be an unusual ride...

Actually the 76-80 Volare/Aspen was a decent car. At least compared to the other vehicles in that time frame. Sure it had it's share of issues and had some rust problems but what car, regardless of mfg, didn't at that time?

Various members of my family and friends have owned many different year/model Volare's and Aspen's ranging from standard models to the Road Runner, Super Coupe, and Aspen RT. I had one as well. A 76 Volare Road Runner( bought in 85 while I was in high school ). That was a great car and at many times I have wished I never sold it. I wouldn't rate it up there with the real MOPAR muscle cars and true Road Runners I have owned but it was a really nice car. My Aunt and Uncle just loved their 78 Volare 4-dr w/ 225. They ran that thing well into the late 90's before it finally had enough with well over 400K on it. I almost fainted when I heard they replaced it.

If the OP can get that car for say $400 or so and it actually runs and all the fluids look good there is no reason not to buy it. Give it a good once over and look for rust issues, check the brakes, make sure everything on the dash works, etc... and if it all checks out there is no reason not to buy it. A couple hundred more in maintenance after to change fluids, belts, and hoses. maybe get a new battery, and it could be a half way decent bomber. The carb is a breeze to rebuild if needed. The Volare's with the slant six got 1/2 way decent MPG when properly tuned.

Here is my 76 V-RR( bottom of page ). Horrible picture but the only one to survive. Mine had the rear deck lid spoiler, the rear side window louvers, and the wheel well flares( can't see in the photo ), Only exterior options it was lacking were the front chin spoiler and T-Tops. Inside it had bucket seats with a floor shift console( auto ). The car was special ordered w/ the 8 1/4 posi rear end and also manual steering( power was standard ). I got it from the original owner.

I rebuilt the engine for better performance and had the vehicle painted a really cool custom scheme as you couldn't find the factory stripe kits at that time to restore it( funny but I can find them easily now all this time later ). Originally mine was black w/ the red/orange/yellow graphics. For the custome scheme I went with black again as the main color but then it had silver and plum crazy stripes on the hood and deck lid.

When the paint job was cleared I added mother of pearl frost blue to the clear. This gave a great effect of the color changing depending on the light. It could look black( night ), metallic bright blue( bright sunlight ), or a dark metallic purple'ish( dawn/dusk ). It was a great paint job. I used some earlier model year RR graphics and emblems on the doors( can't see in photo - really poor quality - sorry )and the famous standing RR in the circle on the rear spoiler. It really made for a cool look. It would run high 14's to low 15's @ 90 MPH so it was no slouch although not a beast or anything. Just a very good car for me.

The tip another poster gave about the ballast resistor is the best and most accurate comment in this thread I read. Definitely keep not one but two in the glove box. Cheap part that as said just decides for no reason to die. Quick and easy to swap though as they are right on the fire wall almost in the middle( favors passenger side a bit ). One bolt in the middle and then 2 plugs attaching to it.

I say if the price is right and the car seems ok go for it.

My 76 V-RR...
roadrunner001.jpg

Originally from the factory my 76 V-RR looked like this minus the front chin spoiler and the aftermarket wheels( not my car just an example ). I would have restored to original had I been able to find all the stripes and decals but as said at the time you couldn't get them. Now it is easy. I would definitely buy another one of these if the right deal ever fell in my lap. I keep my eyes open looking...

roadrunner002.jpg

NHHEMI, you do show some nice examples in your pic's.

It was the Volare and Aspin that helped get Chrysler into financial trouble in the early 80's along with the rest of the junk they were making at that time. Those cars were JUNK(OOPS!) when they were new let alone today! I know, there are those people/members who own them and will let me know their opinoin of my comment. But, you can't argue the past. Those car were [censored]! I worked on them in the '70s at dads shop. They're better off being left alone!

Being modified, I'm sure that these could be a nice vehicle, a great project car and lots of fun but...It is what it is!

I think that old FIAT's, MG's & TRIUMPH's were JUNK too!

Old Camaro's and Firebird's were junk also, as I have had 4 of'em...Still do! It's been a good one though ;0

Last edited:
With how rare these cars are in Canada due to rusting, you'd be suprised how much they sell for up here - I wouldn't be suprised if this car was $2k - you don't see them that much, and they are a 'classic' now!

I remember these cars from growing up. I've seen more of these cars have problems starting than I can count - I just remember all the people I saw get in the car, have it make that 'Dodge-starter sounds' (that whinny, 'nyut-nyut-nyut noise!), and just not catch - over and over again!

However, as a quirky, occassional driver, I'd say go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back