2002 Subaru WRX Amsoil ASL 5w30 5174 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Subaru WRX Amsoil ASL 5w30 5174 miles

First numbers are from my (3) royal purple 10w30, (1) Castrol Syntec 10w30, and (1) Amsoil ASL 5w30 mix. Oil was in service for 3100 miles during mostly warm weather.

Second column is Amsoil ASL 5w30 run for 5174 miles mostly in cold weather. I had to work in the city for a while so there was lots of stop and go driving. It also took one pass at the 1/4 mile track. I put on a catless turbo back exhaust and a catless uppipe at the begining of the OCI.

K&N drop in air filter and Amsoil SDF20 used both times.

RP 3100....ASL 5174
aluminum...3....2
chromium...1...1
iron.......7....5
copper.....2....2
lead.......0....0
tin........0....2
moly.......92....9
nickel.....0....0
manganese..0....0
silver.....0....0
titanium...0....0
potassium..0....0
boron......26....41
silicon....4....6
sodium.....3....2
calcium....2161....2200
magnesium..63....663
phosphorus.862....954
zinc.......946....1148
barium.....0....0

sus vis @ 210f.....64.0....64.0
flashpoint.........340....390
fuel...............1.5.... antifreeze.........0....0
water..............0....0
insolubles.........0.2....0.3
TBN.............n/a....6.9

Im glad to see the fuel gone and Im pleased with these results.

It only took me 2 months to put the 5000 miles on so I feel like I should have gone longer. I have Amsoil series 3000 5w30 in right now. Any suggestions on how long to leave it in? Any comments appreciated.

Excellent report! With all items checking in at low levels and a TBN of 6.9, I would go 8000 miles then resample. Probably could go even longer than that...

How did that turbo-back wake that puppy up?
grin.gif

Also, how in the hell do you get silicon numbers like that? Did you do some kind of Buddist ritual for your K&N or something?

quote:

Excellent report! With all items checking in at low levels and a TBN of 6.9, I would go 8000 miles then resample. Probably could go even longer than that...

How far would you stretch it before you did a filter change?

quote:

How did that turbo-back wake that puppy up?

Also, how in the hell do you get silicon numbers like that? Did you do some kind of Buddist ritual for your K&N or something?

The TB and uppipe helped alot pretty much everywhere. It spools quicker and has more power up top.

So far I am having good luck with this K&N. The first sample I took was right after I cleaned it. My entire stock intake duct is still intact and I think it helps because the air has a relatively long and windy route to the airbox.

As I mentioned the other day, what I look for is how well the oil performs in service and not just the additive "treat" level. The reformulated Amsoil 5w-30 is one of their better formulations right now and has shown consistently good results. This is the first time they have used an ACEA "A3/B4" rated chemistry in the 5w-30/10w-30 oils. I believe is the new mix of calcium and magnesium, along with the borate FM, that is allowing them to meet these ACEA specs, along with VW 502, BMW longlife, etc....

Based on this, I'd run the Series 3000, 5w-30 for 7000-8000 miles. It should hold up even better than the standard 5w-30. However it will be difficult to improve on these wear numbers in a turbo engine ....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

all three of the sti's sold at my local dealership have been in for bodywork.
pat.gif

i'm guessing that they'll be totalled before they get a good long oci.

they must be selling them to the rich kids...

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
Nice! I love Subarus!
bowdown.gif

They definitely show low wear numbers! I wonder if anyone on here owns one of the new 300hp STi cars? It would be interesting to see if they too share the same low amount of wear we've been seeing in UOAs on other Subarus.

There is a new Subaru dealer that just went up less than 5 miles from my house and they must have at least 10 of those STis in stock! From what I recall, they had them in black, white, silver and blue. Do they come in any other colors?

those are the only colors.

sti colors and config

quote:

There is a new Subaru dealer that just went up less than 5 miles from my house and they must have at least 10 of those STis in stock! From what I recall, they had them in black, white, silver and blue. Do they come in any other colors?

hi,
i am new to oils.

but you had higher levels of the following with amsoil

boron......26....41
silicon....4....6
sodium.....3....2
calcium....2161....2200
magnesium..63....663
phosphorus.862....954
zinc.......946....1148

wat does it mean the extra Boron, silicon, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc?

thanks
smile.gif

Those are all the additives in the oil, and the higher levels are a good thing. The only exception is sodium, as high levels of that can sometimes indicate a coolant leak, but some oils like Redline do contain a small amount of sodium too. Plus you can often get sodium in your oil sample in the wintertime when there is a lot of road salt used in your area (I got 26ppm of sodium last winter over a 4300 mile interval)

quote:

Nice! I love Subarus!
bowdown.gif

They definitely show low wear numbers! I wonder if anyone on here owns one of the new 300hp STi cars? It would be interesting to see if they too share the same low amount of wear we've been seeing in UOAs on other Subarus.

Thanks everyone!

I will try to influence an sti owner to get a uoa done, it would be interesting. My guess is the results will be just as good since the engine design is basically the same, just much stronger. (semi closed deck, stronger rods, pistons etc.)

Im going to follow TSs advice and go 7-8k on this interval. I will probably go back to the asl after I try the series 3000 because at this point I cant see the 3000 being worth the extra money.

quote:

Originally posted by harrydog:
The first batch of STI's to be sold seemed to be having detonation problems. I wonder if that's been resolved?

The probs only occured where 93 octane wasnt available. I guess the CA gas was worse than subaru planned for. They fixed this problem by reflashing the ecus.

The first batch of STI's to be sold seemed to be having detonation problems. I wonder if that's been resolved?

quote:

quote:

Nice! I love Subarus!
bowdown.gif

I wonder if anyone on here owns one of the new 300hp STi cars?

No STi, but I traded my WRX for a Forester turbo. It uses a detuned version of STi's engine. I'll do a UOA in a few months or so. First oil change will be free, so I'll do it on the second.
smile.gif

Hello santo fontana. I was going to mention this place on nasioc, but I see that you found it.
smile.gif
Do a search for more Subaru UOA's.

-Dennis

Patman: I have a new blue STi ordered and should have it sometime next month. You should go to that new dealer and drive one. You will want to get rid of your Firbird/Camero
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Patman: I have a new blue STi ordered and should have it sometime next month. You should go to that new dealer and drive one. You will want to get rid of your Firbird/Camero
grin.gif

No point in me driving something I can't afford, it's torture!
smile.gif

Besides, my big plan is to get a nice used 97 or 98 Corvette in a couple of years. Believe it or not, I'd rather have a C5 Corvette over anything else out there!

I'm surprised you're getting an STi, I figured you for a minivan kind of guy!
smile.gif

Ex-minivan guy. Got rid of the VW Eurovan. Bought my wife a new Subaru Forester and it's great. Thought I needed a new hot rod in my life. You should go drive one. Unbeleviable. Wicked fast and corners do not slow it down. I know at my age I need something like this like I need another hole in my head, but what the heck.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back