Can i sub reg. tranny fluid for Nissan tranny fl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a 2005 Nissan Altima with 122000 miles and just had the tranny flush and 600 miles later the car shutters when ya come to a stop, and the fluid looks burn? When they flushed the tranny fluid it wasn't with Nissan fluid, should it matter?

You had the transmission fluid (the old fluid looked/smelled like it was burnt) replaced at a garage with aftermarket ATF at 122k miles, 600 miles later you felt the car shutters at idle ? Which aftermarket ATF did the garage use ?

I believe dex 3 but not toally sure, with the fluid all ready burnt again after 600 miles does that mean the tranny is going out or the replace with the wrong fluid? What should I replace the tranny fluid with that I can get from a local auto parts store?

Yes it matters. Some idiot at your shop used generic mercon 3 fluid probably with an additive. Those trans are very sensitive . you should use only nissan matic-k or something like amsoil full synthetic. You got screwed. Get that [censored] out of there quick before you do more damage . I hate to be overly dramatic ,but in this case it is necessary. You might get away with valvoline synthetic maxlife mercon v, or mobil 1 full synthetic from advance. Do a full flush or make the idiot that changed your fluid do it right. Here is a link or 2 to others in your situation.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=512980

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/2002-20...uid-change.html

Last edited:
It's very possible that the shop used cheap ATF that why it smelled burnt after only 600 miles. I would change the fluid out as soon as possible with Nissan ATF.

Does your 2005 Altima have a 4-speed or 5-speed automatic transmission in it?

A 4-speed calls for Genuine NISSAN Matic D ATF. The owner's manual notes DEXRON™ III/MERCON™ or equivalent may also be used.

A 5-speed calls for Genuine NISSAN Matic K ATF. The owner's manual notes, "Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic K ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission."

Dex/Merc isn't good for every application...... There's some full synths like Amsoil, Amalie, or Wolfshead that profess universality, and usually perform well. Make sure the bottle says compatible with (Nissan fluid number)

A lookup of the 2005 Nissan Altima on the Amsoil website shows their Multi Vehicle Synthetic ATF to be their recommended fluid for both the 4 and 5 speed transmissions.
It further states Nissan Matic D, J and K in the recommended application list.

The Redline Website recommends their D4 ATF for the 4 and 5 speed transmissions in the 2005 Altima.
It also lists the Nissan Matic D, J and K in their recommended application list.

There may be other fluid brands, but these are 2 that I looked up.
I did not see the Nissan Matic D or K listed in the Mobil 1 ATF specifications on the Mobil website, but I could have missed it.

in an 03 Altima 4spd auto I've used the Castrol import ATF and have no problems at all.
the 03 I believe is spec'd for Matic J.

I used Dex 3 in a 99 Ranger that req'd Mercon V.. I did use a Lubegard converter additive and well.. no problems reported either. then again.. the ford tranny isn't as picky as a nissan one is.

My Pathfinder's RE4R01A transmission is spec'd for Matic D and I've been slowly replacing Matic D with Valvoline Maxlife through drain & fills and I've had no issues. Maxlife meets Matic D, J, and K.

Castrol Import, Royal Purple Max ATF, Amsoil, BG synthetic, and Mobil 1.

Any one will work. I am running Royal Purple instead of Matic J.

Just get all the old fluid out and put in fresh!

Last edited:
Quote:
Some idiot at your shop used generic mercon 3 fluid
Errr...no such thing as Mercon 3.

In any case, yes, do flush again and use a fluid with the label that lists it as suitable for your transmission.

Lubegard claims that Dexron-VI fluid plus their Platinum supplement is suitable in transmissions that require Nissan Matic-K. I doubt your transmission shop used that, maybe a Dexron-III fluid plus Lubegard (or other) black bottle highly friction modified supplement, the wrong stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back