Any specifically "good" brands of R134a?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silly question, but does the brand of freon matter in the same sense as motor oil? Usually, I've always been a Dupont freon type of guy, but I saw that Big Lots has some stuff for about $8 a can.

I went on and picked a few cans up, but I do have to wonder about it.......what's the difference between let's say an $8 can of freon and a $20 can of Freon with all things being equal?

Good question.. I don't have a good answer though. I also prefer to use dupont, but I think big lots has some ID cans. Last year they were $5 a can. I'm not sure brand has too much impact like motor oil, as the AC system has oil in i that handles the lubrication. The ID cans I bought last year are made in USA.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Silly question, but does the brand of freon matter in the same sense as motor oil? Usually, I've always been a Dupont freon type of guy, but I saw that Big Lots has some stuff for about $8 a can.

I went on and picked a few cans up, but I do have to wonder about it.......what's the difference between let's say an $8 can of freon and a $20 can of Freon with all things being equal?

No. It's a very specific formulation. Brand shouldn't matter.

R134a is patened by dupont. So in reality its all the same. All those cans of R134a with "Super ice cold, sub zero" and so forth just scream gimmick to me. I'd rather not be a sheep and fall for the higher price is better in this case. I would get the $8 cans.The price is creeping up every year. Actually when put a new compressor on my car recenty I used R134a from big lots, it was $8 a can also. Blowing ice cubes right now.
happy2.gif

....and the $20 can will make your wallet twice as light and have ice cubes falling out the vents.
48.gif

Generic drugs are supposed to be exactly the same as their brand-name counterparts, too, but that isn't always the case. The drug formulation is identical, but I have known specific cases where the quality practices and ingredients used resulted in a substandard--and sometimes even useless--product. I don't know if this carries over to refrigerant in anything other than principle.

I got one of the cans of R134a with a "Sub-Zero" additive in it since it had the almost-useless gauge on it. The A/C in the Buick went from kinda cool to cold using about 9-10 ounces. The whole can didn't go in since it was a 20 ounce can, IIRC.

I've used big lots 134a with success in my 97 silhouette. Went from kinda cold to open-the-door-and-get-knocked-out-by-the-heat cold.

I used Interdynamics Arctic Freeze Ultra Synthetic with Nasa Quick Boost technology the last time I refilled my Corolla's system.

Hey, synthetic is better, right?!?

Seriously, IMO it's made my system the coldest it's ever been.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I used Interdynamics Arctic Freeze Ultra Synthetic with Nasa Quick Boost technology the last time I refilled my Corolla's system.

That's cool. I have heard this, and was considering using the Arctic Freeze once my system gets converted to R134a...the R12 is just too expensive lol. Not to mention, I can't find anyone locally that has access to it, yea, not even the dodge dealership.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Do you guys remember how many minutes it took for the system to add about 8 oz of refrigerant?

When I charged mine the last time, I used the gauge on the bottle and got it right at the bottom of the green when my vent temps started hitting about 45 degrees F at 2,000 rpms and stopped.

If you were to empty an entire 8 ounce bottle into the system all at once, it would go pretty quick I think.

Never add too much - I almost blew my system up a few years ago from overcharging it. It has a leak that makes the system warm after about 3 years and I just recharge it then.

Last edited:

12 dollars....j/k....I think they would work equally well.

It's all legally mandated to be the same. Don't fall for gimmicks.

The more important factors for the A/C system are:

1. Make sure it's 100 percent sealed and not leaking
2. Make sure the system does not have any moisture or air in it. A proper vacuum of the system is key to achieving this.
3. Make sure the compressor is operating correctly. Including the belt that is spinning it. Also the fans.
4. Clean out the condenser! So much junk and dirt builds up in there over the years. Take a garden hose sprayer nozzle and flush it out. You'll be surprised how much gunk comes out.
5. Last but not least, proper charge amount. Don't just guess, read the label under the hood.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

That's cool. I have heard this, and was considering using the Arctic Freeze once my system gets converted to R134a...the R12 is just too expensive lol. Not to mention, I can't find anyone locally that has access to it, yea, not even the dodge dealership.

That product probably contains a shot of oil. R134a was designed to be used with POE oil. Hence Ultra Synthetic/Nasa Boost is purely gimmick.
The oil charge is POE/PAG based anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back