2006 BMW 330i: Common Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering a 2006 BMW 330i with Premium and Sports Packages as my next car. So far, I have found a few cars that are priced between $17-19k with 60-70,000 miles. These are all CPO cars, so they have about a year of warranty left.

I am trying to research common issues with these cars to prepare myself. My understanding is that the electric water pump can fail as the car approaches 100k, which can cost almost $1k. Also, some of the early 330i will experience excessive engine ticking, which requires head replacement.

Aside from those two issues, these cars appear to be quite reliable. Coming from the Saturn, I am used to poor reliability so this one does not have to be perfect.

Does anyone have advice or knowledge they can share about the E90 330i?

Thanks.

I wouldn't want to pay almost $20k for a car I know could potentially have issues- and certainly not almost 20 grand for one with 60-70k miles already. Also, electric water pump? What the fudge? What is BMW thinking?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R
I wouldn't want to pay almost $20k for a car I know could potentially have issues- and certainly not almost 20 grand for one with 60-70k miles already.

Any car is going to have issues, whether it is a domestic or import. This is a 330i, a car that was originally worth over 40k, not a cheap family sedan.

coming from the saturn you said you are used to poor reliability... I personally think saturns are good cars but either way when you have problems with the bmw and you will be sure to have thousands on hand to fix it...I am in the engine business and those engines cost big bucks to fix parts alone will make your head spin...
buy a regular car American asian or Korean (Hyundai) because if something goes wrong it will be a cheap fix in most cases

I hate BMW's! IMO absolute garbage cooling systems. They don't use hose clamps. They use plastic clips, O-Rings and cheap inferier plastic parts in the cooling systems.

One part breaks. I replace it and 2 days later another plastic part fails. I replace that and a few days later another part fails. Now the customer is mad at me because I can't predict the lifespan of inferier plastic parts and O-Rings. We are done trying to fix those piles of junk. If I ever have to work on one again it will be too soon.

We now refuse to work on those overpriced piles of junk! Yes other manufacturers use plastic parts but they rarely fail. The plastic on the Beemers fails constantly.

You couldn't give me a BMW! I'd buy a Saturn or Kia with 200K on it before I'd buy a BMW out of warranty!

Oh did I mention that I absolutly hate BMW's?

hold on Chris...i think you should specify which EXACT model range of bmw's you are speaking of. The older cars IMO are very reliable...very primitive by today's standards, but years ahead of what was offered back then.

Don't get me wrong, i also think anything newer than the late 90's from bmws are inferior in build to the previous models...but then again, we see this as a common trend among MOST euro autos these days (i.e. VW, MB etc.).

IMHO, the OP should seriously consider a NA car again. The reliability will be comparable to most ANYTHING from the Asian offerings, and cheaper and easier to maintain than ANYTHING European. Sure a bmw is something fantastic, esp after being in a Saturn for so many years, but that doesn't mean he needs to throw good money after bad just trying to keep it maintained.

Last edited:
E90 330i's are great cars for the money. A friend of mine has one and drives it everyday without a problem. If you do not want to deal with the fuel pump issues with the 335i, I would definitely get the 330i. Pretty much the same car but a different motor. And having a 330i CPO is a definite plus.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
These parts. Theres more that don't come with the kit. See how it all clips together? Nothing but trouble!!!!!!!! Terrible design and then they used inferier materials. Labor is over $1k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E46-C...sQ5fAccessories

WOW! what's the deal with that thermostat?!?!?! and that water pump is electric you say?!?!?

Nice way to overcomplicate something that was working fine all along

I personally think that a young kid, college age should be able to have a nice car if they saved and are careful with the finances.

I dont think that a college age person should have a car like that.

Owning multiple euro cars, I know that for the most part, they dont cost any more or less than any other car to maintain and repair. But such a new one, with so many complex systems could put said person a very small bit away from going into debt or not being able to afford to maintain the car if something major goes wrong. The college to first few jobs years can be unstable, and a car of that type can be too expensive to keep up.

Id rather buy a new $17k car than a used one that could be a repair liability.

I hate BMW's! IMO absolute garbage cooling systems. They don't use hose clamps. They use plastic clips, O-Rings and cheap inferier plastic parts in the cooling systems.

My engine bay begs to differ.

One part breaks. I replace it and 2 days later another plastic part fails. I replace that and a few days later another part fails. Now the customer is mad at me because I can't predict the lifespan of inferier plastic parts and O-Rings. We are done trying to fix those piles of junk. If I ever have to work on one again it will be too soon.

1. When certain parts break, certain others are rarely far behind. Replacing them in groups (e.g. expansion tank + thermostat + thermostat housing + water pump + radiator + hoses etc.) eliminates those nasty surprises.

2. BMW cooling systems can be a huge pain to bleed. If they are not bled, air pockets can expand and cause other failures.

3. Some metal replacement parts are available (e.g. thermostat housings). Do some research.

We now refuse to work on those overpriced piles of junk!

Certainly your prerogative. Please keep in mind that your experience is your own, and does not necessarily represent the norm.

Moreover, I and everyone I know who owns a BMW -- and even many who don't -- would say something like the opposite: most other cars are so dynamically incompetent, or offer such a poor balance of capability and practicality, that it seems absurd that anyone would consider them worth buying, even if they are cheap. Having to maintain a BMW proactively and put a bit more money and effort into it is a small price to pay; you can fix a broken car, but you can't make a dull one good to drive.

Two sides to every coin, man.

As to the original point: The main problem with the 2006 330i is that most of them have torque converter automatics. An easy fix is to find one with a manual transmission.
wink.gif

Have you checked out other sites? I recommend doing a search and posting your question on Bimmerforums:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=189

I purchased a 2000 Z3M 3 years ago and I am very happy with it. I do all of my own maintenance and repairs. BMW's are not like a Honda or Toyota in terms of reliability but they have other redeeming qualities.
smirk.gif

The 335 with twin turbo also looks pretty interesting - for a bit more $$$

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Chris142 said:
When certain parts break, certain others are rarely far behind. Replacing them in groups (e.g. expansion tank + thermostat + thermostat housing + water pump + radiator + hoses etc.) eliminates those nasty surprises.
THEN YOU CAN COME TO MY SHOP AND TRY TO UPSELL THOSE PARTS!! They come to me because I'm cheaper than the stealer. These people are so sick and tired of dumping money into those piles of junk cars at the stealer that they come to me hoping that I'm cheaper. They only want the one part replaced or that one leak fixed.

I can recomend replacement of all plastic parts till I'm blue in the face. Don't work! But when the next weekest link breaks it's my fault because I was the last guy to work on it. Then they bad mounth me and my shop!! They don't want to spend $1500 to fix it right but when another plastic part fails it's my fault.

NOPE! I'M DONE WITH BMW'S AND THEIR OWNERS!!! YES I'M YELLING!

The problems just go on and on and I get the brunt of it from these people.

PS. I wish that I could curse on this forum to tell people how I really feel about BMW's.

I think the 330 you're looking at will have the N52 engine. The ticking problem came from lifters/head design. Replacing the lifters with a revised design that has larger oil passages works 90% of the time. Usually the ticking only came when the engine would idle for long periods, then a "spirited" drive would give the heads a chance to drain. It was a black eye for the otherwise excellent N52 engine. For some people switching to a thinner oil fixed the problem. Others went to war with the dealer and came away with new head and valve assemblies. Early on BMW was paying dealers to assemble the entire top end. Now BMW has a preassembled kit that's fast to swap. Replacing the lifters on your own **IF** the noise was present **AND** bothering you would cost around $200 for valve gaskets and lifters. About a 3 hour job going slow.

Cooling system is solid as long as you service it early (the 100k is a joke, and I know first hand the OP has participated in lengthy debates here on BITOG). The plastic components that some of these people are ranting about are plastic connectors (kinda like the ends of an air hose). Heat and age can get to them, but usually not before the hose itself would be due for replacement. The electric water pump was a design to reduce parasitic drag on the engine (and so was the electric power steering which also eliminated the weight and maintenance of power steering hydraulics). The cool thing about the electric water pump is it has a "service" mode which allows you "burp" the cooling system as you refill it. It's very well thought out and engineered. Sadly most old school mechanics are too hamfisted, closeminded, etc, etc to appreciate the engineering.

The water pump itself costs around $450. Being electric the motor portion should last a very long time, but neglected fluid and particulate mater can eat away at the pump assembly. Replacement is about the same as a regular pump, something the OP could do.

I'm not a fan of the BMW coolant itself. I don't understand how it could last 100k miles. It seems to last just long enough to get past the warranty period. Look here for what before/after pictures of the fluid looked like out of my N52 after 3 years and 24k miles.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488476

Make sure that your 2006 is CPO. At that mileage you'll be outside any free/included maintenance, which I doubt you'll care about being a DIY'er, but being CPO will extend warranty coverage on certain items to 2012 or 100k miles.

I used to dislike European brands but now I've been converted. You'll hate the service at the dealer, but I don't think you'll be there given the mileage you're looking at. For maintenance parts prices are about the same price. OEM Bosch plugs were $6 each, air filter was a reasonable $20. The OEM oil filters cartridges are a little more expensive ($10), but they come with a crush washer and new orings for the filter housing, putting a new high quality oil filter cartridge around $8.50. The repair parts, cooling hoses for example, can have about a 20% premium over a cooling hose for a Saturn, but that's apples/oranges IMO. Since the battery lives in the trunk the OEM batteries can be around $200. Generic ones fit, but OEM ones have vents and unique sizes.

The black boxes inside the car can get scary. The TPMS brain died on my car, under warranty, but it would have cost about $600 for the parts and $400 for labor. The mileage you're looking at if the elctronic component was going to die it would have by now.

I'm sure the first thing you'll do is replace every fluid and maintenance part (like I did). After a weekend of poking and wrenching not only do I appreciate the engineering, I have much more faith in the reliability.

As for the 330i there are some great color combos out there. I'm a fan of the Space Grey oustside and Imola Red inside. Very classy. For me the must haves for a E90 would be Premium, Sport, Ext Leather and Winter. And for all BMW naysayers and non-converts: They drive amazing.

I can recomend replacement of all plastic parts till I'm blue in the face. Don't work! But when the next weekest link breaks it's my fault because I was the last guy to work on it. Then they bad mounth me and my shop!! They don't want to spend $1500 to fix it right but when another plastic part fails it's my fault.

NOPE! I'M DONE WITH BMW'S AND THEIR OWNERS!!! YES I'M YELLING!

Just like anything - you get caring owners and then you get people who are mainly trying to have a certain symbol on their front and rear. Cant help them, and they typically are the ones who are buying used... why? They cant afford it new but "deserve" to have it to show their superior status.

I know the critic is very good with maintenance and will strive to do everything right... but if in college, just getting out, working towards a first job, etc., what if it doesnt pan out well? What if he gets laid off of his first job, like most everyone in the workforce does? What if the part fails then? Sure, could happen on any car... But would rather take a lower risk approach at security at that age and position in life, rather than try to show up as something that my income level certainly is not...

I don't see why anyone, who wants to drive a BMW, would not do it. Once you drive one, you will not want to go back to anything made by the big 3, the Japanese or the Koreans.

The $ per mile will probably be higher than a Saturn. With premium fuel and 30 MPG, things can get expensive real quick. The cars are reliable but if something goes wrong, the parts and labor will be more than a Saturn. I have found that BMW-s are easier to work on than Audis but not as easy as Hondas so there is a potential for DYI. The parts are available widely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back