Using external keyboard to laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an extra keyboard laying around and for home use, I'd rather use it. The KB cable is not USB, so I think I need an adapter like this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110693518253&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

By using this adapter and then connecting to the laptop USB, would it power the KB and therefore work with the lap top? If not, what do I need to make it work....if it's possible?

Thanks

Quote:
Only suits PS/2 keyboard with both U(USB)+P(PS2) chip inside

You might want to check your keyboard first. Seems like it is just a 1-1 wire connector rather than a signal chip.

Like those USB/PS2 hybrid mouse, the chip internally would switch to different protocol rather than having a converter from one protocol to the other. The USB/PS2 adapter wouldn't work with every PS2 mouse under the sun.

Unless there is something special about this old keyboard, you are better off just buying a new USB unit.

The very best keyboards ever made were PS/2. I'm typing right now on an old SGI keyboard, and my other machine uses an IBM Model M (and I have three spares). At work, I use an old Dell AT-101W. Keyboards are one thing that they really don't make like they used to.

True, I'm using a Keytronic that isn't even the best and they feel a lot better than those laptop style junk they sell these days.

I'm using a 5 year old Microsoft Natural. I think I have a SUN one here somewhere. Would love to have an SGI one! :drool:

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Unless there is something special about this old keyboard, you are better off just buying a new USB unit.

Nothing special. Thought I'd get a cheap adapter and utilize the KB.

I'm better off with a new KB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back