New Toro 20092

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, when I was looking, the flat head briggs was the only thing that made me hesitate on getting the Super Recycler. Hondas are on the Super Baggers, but I primarily mulch, so I specifically wanted the recycler. It would be interesting how many people think similarly. I still have never actually seen the model with the Kohler on it in a store!

All that said, the Briggs runs fine, has more than enough power, and there are certianly enough of them out there... Beats the pants off the old tecumseh flathead that was on my last lawnmower...

Can't complain about the little Briggs flat head. Here is a bad picture of my 1973 John Deere edger (made by McLane) with the original 3HP Briggs and the darn thing runs like new after a carb cleaning, tank cleaning, and new plug.

1973JDedger1.jpg

I have a 2006 Toro 20056 SR4. It has the blade clutch, otherwise is identical to yours. I love it!! Best cutting mower I have ever had by far. I traded in a problematic JD 14SB, and the Toro can mulch grass that the JD had trouble bagging. You will not be disappointed!

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: barlowc
I wish mine had the washout port like yours does.

I don't know if the 20092 washout port is any different, but on mine (20333) it doesn't work all that well. Wet grass gets deposited all over under the deck and the water spray only gets some of it out. The rest you need to clean by hand or put the mower on its side and spray directly with high pressure. Otherwise, if you store the mower without doing it, you'll stink up your garage in no time.

Mine says to do it within 30 minutes after mowing. I did mine last night, hooked up the hose, turned on the water, started the mower and let it run for about two minutes. Clean as a whistle.

I don't know if i would waste the gas, on a steel deck yes. But on Aluminum why bother , it aint gonna rust!

Well, the deck won't rust but you've got the blade, driveshaft, and all the bolts underneath there to worry about, too. Then there's also caking up of grass. That stuff can pile up to such an extent that it screws up the aerodynamics of the deck causing not everything to get mulched or bagged properly.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I thought you had bought a Honda. Good to see you got the Toro with the Briggs.

I was going to but the deal with south at the last minute. It worked out the way it was suppose to. I really like this Toro.

Johnny I really like the new mower. Quick question: Does it have any form of throttle control? Do you pull start it and it is at full throttle all the time? I am looking to buy from my local Mom and Pop dealer and they have Toro. I Like the Flatheads over the Honda I currently have because they seem more powerful than the Honda 160 OHC. I was gonna bring the Honda to my Moms small yard for her use and buy the Toro like yours for my larger yard. Hows the bagging? Does it hold alot of grass? Thanks in advance

Jeepster, can't tell you about the bagging at this time as I did my spring bagging with my neighbors mower before I got this one. I only bag twice a year, early spring and last mowing of the year. Rest of the time I mulch. It has a fairly large bag that is ease to remove.

No throttle, just pull twice and it starts.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Only down fall to the flat head is it has a garden hose for a fuel line. (meaning uses more fuel than a ohv)

Every engine has its pimples.
Two more to add are.
1. after 50 hrs the head bolts near the muffler need to be snugged.(100% of them are not tight enough at this time.)
2. after 50 hrs the two 1/4inch intake screws under the fan shroud need to be snugged.(50% of them are loose at this time.)

Very nice mower for sure. Congrats!
both issues are one time snugs.

Over all, with good care it's a 25 year engine.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Has the mower broke down yet??? The $1200. Honda I bought broke down the first day.

What did you do to it? just kidding, but... what did happen?

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Only down fall to the flat head is it has a garden hose for a fuel line. (meaning uses more fuel than a ohv)

My Toro B&S flathead is not too bad on fuel. Mulching thick grass I can get about 1hr 45 min out of a tank. Mulching more normal grass it will run 2 hours. Going from a OHV Kawasaki on my JD 14SB, I though I would hate the Briggs engine. So far, I like it more than the Kawasaki. It has much more torque! The Toro mulches grass that the JD had a hard time just discharging. After 5 years of using the Toro, I wonder why I waited 10 years to get rid of the John Deere. The Toro just simply cuts better. And the Personal Pace is wonderful. A bit weird at first, after 10 minutes I could not live without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back