Best grease for lawnmower spindles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local Co-op stores says high temp grease is better. How about synthetic? Is the higher priced grease worth it? Have been using Lucas Red & Tacky, but I am about out and it's time to buy another case. Thanks.

I'm pleased with Schaeffer #274, I haven't found a single thing it doesn't work well at...I use it in my spindles, drive shafts, and other bearings in my Grasshopper.

I use white lithium on almost everything because it is not messy , doesn't stain , works great, and inexpensive . Door hinges , boat steering cables etc... .
Hi-temp is just so 60's.
Synthetic marine grease on everything else like wheel bearings. I find it off season for pennies. High temp and stays put.

I would say you have about the right product fit for a spindle.. I dont think u need a high temp grease if it gets over 250 degrees i would suspect they'res a problem it's likely tho cheap insurance since it will less likely to seperate. I personally dont see a huge need for synthetic greases other than if you dont plan on lubricating it very often or use in automotive wheel bearing or sealed for life products.

I personally use Mystik JT-6 and they're tacky multipurpose grease.. another good selections i really like and use are pennzoil ultra and lubriplates 1200-2.

Thanks for the replies. After reading a bunch of other threads in the "Grease" forum, I think I would like to try Schaeffers. According to Schaeffers website, there is an auto parts store about 25 miles from here that carries it.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back