Neat trick for seating a tire bead

Status
Not open for further replies.

dla

I had a tire that was flat on my tractor. I didn't see it at first (it was the tire against the garage wall) and pulled out of the garage and worked the bead loose from the rim.

Despite having an air compressor I couldn't get the tire bead to set properly against the rim. Air just kept leaking out the side of the tire.

Totally frustrated I called my dad looking for some words of wisdom and asked if he had any ideas on how to get the bead set on the tire. Without missing a beat he said "I sure do. Go get an old leather belt that you don't wear anymore. Wrap it around the tire, staying in the center of the tread pattern. Pull down on the belt like you are trying to tighten it and add air at the same time. The belt squeezing on the center of the tire will bulge the sidewalls out and seat the bead for you".

I went and did exactly as he said and immediately the bead set and was holding air. Hopefully this trick will help you guys out if you should have the same misfortune of a flat tire that is off the bead.

That is a good trick. You can also use a 1 inch tie down strap and then twist a stick in it round and round.

Yeah, I do the same thing with a rope and a bar of some sort. I tie the rope around the middle of the tire, then I use something like a combination wrench to go under the rope then I twist it to take up slack and increase the pressure along the center of the tire while adding air. This usually does the trick. As the other guys say, better than using a can of ether and a match.

Never heard of that, I've been using the redneck method ever since I saw some mexicans pop a tire back on a 4 wheeler using WD40. Used it just the other day on a riding mower, in fact. Yours sounds better, and is actually handier because I don't always have a bottle of flammable stuff on hand.

Are you talking about lawn tractor, compact tractor, or farm tractor here?

Turf tires or ag tires?

Thanks

I did OK seating OPE tires by removing the valve from the valve stem and using the blow gun attachment for my shop air instead of an inflator which was too restrictive through the valve. I noticed that tire shops set the bead with the valve removed from the stem too so I thought I'd try it before moving on to more complicated methods.

With the trigger pulled on the blow gun I sort of wobbled the rim in the tires and it seated enough to start to hold pressure. Luck, maybe
smile.gif
Just remove the blow gun, replace the valve in the stem and overinflate slightly to help make it "permanent".

Last edited:
I have used the rachet type tie-downs. You can get the tire to buldge without all the belt/stick/ wind up combinations. Works good though. I actually saw a worker at Walmart useing this method to seat a ATV tire, thats where I stole it from.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Been using that one for years.

+1. I've also gotten ATV tires to re-seat this way using a ratchet/strap like panzer suggests above. Lubing up the bead with dish soap helps too.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boraticus
"I use the WD-40 or hairspray method. Works like a charm."

Fire and noise!! Far more entertaining!

Starting fluid is better.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Starting fluid might be a little TOO fun. Have you actually used that?

Yes, it gets the blood pumping.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Originally Posted By: boraticus
"I use the WD-40 or hairspray method. Works like a charm."

Fire and noise!! Far more entertaining!

Starting fluid is better.

+1, Starting fluid works great.
I normally remove the valve stem and try seating the bead with the air hose. I have also used the ratchet strap method.
I have had 2 or 3 very stubborn tires that just didn't want to seat, starting fluid and a light seated those beads with authority!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back