What does built-in Bluetooth do for a laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I look thru the list of Dell Direct laptops some of them are equipped with built-in Bluetooth. My old laptop uses a Bluetooth wireless mouse that comes with a device plug into a USB port. Will the built-in Bluetooth eliminate that external device with a compatible wireless mouse? What else is it used for?

Usually the USB bluetooth device is just a simple Bluetooth receiver, and will work with any bluetooth device. Since the receiver is built into the laptop, it should work.

Bluetooth is also used for wireless file transfer, like pictures from cameras and videos on cell phones, etc.

Yes, if you have a bluetooth mouse and bluetooth built into your computer, you don't need to stick any device/receiver into your USB port.

Bluetooth communication can also be used to exchange files with your phone or to use wireless headset (like when talking on Skype for example).

All in all, fairly useless stuff, but some people may like it.

What it did for me was allow me to sync my Palm Treo on a 64bit Windows box. You couldn't sync with Palm Desktop via USB if your host was 64bits. But you could via Bluetooth.

So you can connect to your smartphone and sync it.

Originally Posted By: sifan
What else is it used for?

I plug a BT dongle into the OBD II port of my vehicle. On my internet tablet I have software with which I can access the OBD data. For example, I can see and clear codes, and I can reset the service display among other things. You can do the same thing with a BT-enabled laptop or smartphone.

Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1
Originally Posted By: sifan
What else is it used for?

I plug a BT dongle into the OBD II port of my vehicle. On my internet tablet I have software with which I can access the OBD data. For example, I can see and clear codes, and I can reset the service display among other things. You can do the same thing with a BT-enabled laptop or smartphone.

which software do you use? I'm currently using torque.. was 5$ and works good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back