oil for 1970 Trans am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Royal Purple( their regular 10W-40 SL will work or even better would be their XPR Racing )or Brad Penn 10W-40. You want something with a lot of ZDDP. A diesel oil could be used too but would not be my 1st choice.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
T5 or T6, depending on what grade you need

+1 on Rotella

Stock 400 was a hydraulic (flat-tappet) cam that was pretty mild and I think it spec'd a 10W40.

I would go with an HDEO in 15W40. Depends on your budget, there are some boutique oils specifically designed for flat-tappet cams in older cars, but yours is not one that puts extreme pressure on the cam, so the HDEO would work well. Delo, Rotella, whatever, find one on sale...

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Royal Purple( their regular 10W-40 SL will work or even better would be their XPR Racing )or Brad Penn 10W-40. You want something with a lot of ZDDP. A diesel oil could be used too but would not be my 1st choice.

^^2nd. RP told me that their 10W40 street oil has the most anti-wear out of all their other street oils. Then there`s also M1`s HM oils. They have 1000ppm of zddp.

Last edited:
10w30 Valvoline would be perfectly awesome for that car/engine.

They didn't have to use tractor oil in it back then....heck, your 5,000 mile old oil today is probably better than new oil back then.

The 440 in my 'Cuda ran on 10w30 white bottle Valvoline from 1994-2005 with 0 issues...and that includes sand in the gas tank from when it was sandblasted, and didn't get all of it out. What a mess....

I'd run dino Valvoline VR1 20W-50- it has lots of ZDDP. Second choice would be Rotella 15W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back