Hastings Filters......Havn't been disappointed yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearby to me, the best place to get car parts hands down is Federated. They smoke AutoZone, Advance, and O'Reiley on price, stock, and general quality per dollar.

All my cars for the last 2 years have been loaded up with Hastings filters. I used to do Purolator... but I don't think I'm missing out on anything by switching away from them. The build quality on the Hastings filters is quite solid... and there's been zero evidence of failure or leakage. Federated's house brand filters are Hastings.

The oil filters for my Fords (focus, 500, CV) have been nothing short of solidly built. The Air filters look just like OEM or better... and the Cabin air filter is made better than the Bosch ones I was using.

Any others Hastings guys out there? Or am I about to get a lashing for being a moron?

I know better than to shout FRAM RULES!... that's a joke indeed.

I will Shout HASTINGS FILTERS ARE NOT JUNK!

Discuss.

Good Product. I worked for a utility that used Hastings for everything they could in the fleet. Their filters always stood up to abuse IMO. Some went 2x 3x 4x longer intervals than they should have with no problem I saw.

I can only give you a "we used 'em, we used 'em hard, we liked 'em because they held up" kinda testimonial.

I'd use em!!

I remember when I started shopping at that store... I was a Purolator user and after learning the sad stories of Orange Frams and some lousy house brand filters, I've made a habit of taking every filter out of the box and looking it over before I buy it.

If it feels too light, that's one red flag, but a look inside is usually the easiest way to spot [censored]. I've seen some with nothing but a plastic ring in there... or nothing. The counter tech looked a little surprised when I held up the Hastings, and upon seeing the metal internal reinforcement, I was ok to try it. That was my first of dozens.

The pricing is a little odd.... my little car's filter is a buck or two MORE than the big car. I wonder if it has to do with how common it is, or what...

I used to live a block away from a store that sold mainly fire extinguishers and Hastings filters. I used to use them because they could order import cartridge style oil filters that were far cheaper than any euro parts house.
It came in a Hastings box but stamped on the filter was always Mann or Mahle and Made in Germany or the like.
I've since moved away but I miss walking down to the Hastings shop to talk filters.

I have a Hastings filter on my Subaru now, but it's probably coming off when I have all oil-changing gear out to do my wife's car in a month or so. The filter is nice and solidly built, but I found out after I installed it that the bypass pressure is nowhere near what it's supposed to be (8 psi as opposed to the 20+ Subarus are supposed to use). I'm sure it's fine, but if I have a box of other filters that have the right bypass, why use it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I have a Hastings filter on my Subaru now, but it's probably coming off when I have all oil-changing gear out to do my wife's car in a month or so. The filter is nice and solidly built, but I found out after I installed it that the bypass pressure is nowhere near what it's supposed to be (8 psi as opposed to the 20+ Subarus are supposed to use). I'm sure it's fine, but if I have a box of other filters that have the right bypass, why use it?

I'm all for using the correct/best product for my job also. Is your other "box of filters" Hastings filters that work correctly or another brand that works correctly?
Either way you're set! If it's one bad Hasting out of a case of Hastings you have a legit complaint.
How did you determine the bypass valve is at the wrong pressure after installation ?
Did whomever performed the Hastings part lookup or cross-reference get the correct filter? Looks on the outside can be far different from what's inside the filter. In the Euro world Hastings sometimes uses the same P/N for similar cartridge style filters. I don't like that but they do it. I can tell the difference in appearance, but with a spin-on style I would hope they wouldn't go down that route.........

Originally Posted By: 1maniac
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

I'm all for using the correct/best product for my job also. Is your other "box of filters" Hastings filters that work correctly or another brand that works correctly?
Either way you're set! If it's one bad Hasting out of a case of Hastings you have a legit complaint.
How did you determine the bypass valve is at the wrong pressure after installation ?
Did whomever performed the Hastings part lookup or cross-reference get the correct filter? Looks on the outside can be far different from what's inside the filter. In the Euro world Hastings sometimes uses the same P/N for similar cartridge style filters. I don't like that but they do it. I can tell the difference in appearance, but with a spin-on style I would hope they wouldn't go down that route.........

To clarify, I only had this one Hastings filter, purchased over a year ago. According to their online guide, it is the correct part number for my application. Looking at it's design, it was made with Subarus and only Subarus in mind due to its shallow thread mount and lack of ADBV, but I wrongly assumed that it would also have a Subaru-specific bypass relief pressure setting. Looking again at Hastings' site (I think they have added more info besides just part numbers since the last time I looked at it) after my oil change job showed that it only had an 8psi relief when an equivalent Purolator has the correct 20-25psi relief.

I'd love to use Hastings and Baldwin filters because they make quality stuff, but I'm disappointed that the LF484/B301, while having the Subaru-correct mount and no ADBV, has the wrong bypass setting. I also have used Champ-made filters for my car but I have yet to get a final word on what the bypass is set on their Subaru filters. Fram and Wix don't even make a Subaru filter- they just have a common Honda filter listed that is 'close enough'. It seems that Purolator is really the only brand that makes a filter with the correct mount, no ADBV, and a high bypass seting for a Subaru.

Originally Posted By: MisterVTRH
Nearby to me, the best place to get car parts hands down is Federated. They smoke AutoZone, Advance, and O'Reiley on price, stock, and general quality per dollar.

All my cars for the last 2 years have been loaded up with Hastings filters. I used to do Purolator... but I don't think I'm missing out on anything by switching away from them. The build quality on the Hastings filters is quite solid... and there's been zero evidence of failure or leakage. Federated's house brand filters are Hastings.

The oil filters for my Fords (focus, 500, CV) have been nothing short of solidly built. The Air filters look just like OEM or better... and the Cabin air filter is made better than the Bosch ones I was using.

Any others Hastings guys out there? Or am I about to get a lashing for being a moron?

I know better than to shout FRAM RULES!... that's a joke indeed.

I will Shout HASTINGS FILTERS ARE NOT JUNK!

Discuss.

MisterVTRH,

I agree Hastings Filters are very good been using many lately, my problem is I get a great deal on Hastings Oil Filters at a local Farm Supply store but WIX offers a more complete line at a great price price online so I am always torn about which one to use, Hastings has great construction with a large HD spring in each filter and a louvered center tube that is the coolest, this is what I pay:
LF110/LF107 > $4.69
LF157/LF134 > $4.29
I also agree Federated Auto Parts is a good place for parts but for me it is the furthest away but I go there occasionally.

Toto. [img:center]
IMG00309.jpg
[/img]
[img:center]http://[/img]

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Where can you find Hastings filters? I'd love to try one.

http://www.autopartsnerd.com/

Try the link above they have decent pricing, I have checked other online web sights and they were expensive, for local distribution at a retail outlet call or email Hastings, I believe on the Hastings web site you can enter your zip code for outlets.
[this link from the Hastings Filter web site click on "Resources" then "Links of Interest" then click on "Auto Parts Nerd"]

Toto.

Hastings goes WAAAY back. I remember using them in the 50's and I know they were around before then. No idea who makes them now. John--Las Vegas.

Originally Posted By: Torino
Hastings goes WAAAY back. I remember using them in the 50's and I know they were around before then. No idea who makes them now. John--Las Vegas.

Hastings and Baldwin are the same filters.. made by Clarcor. Hastings air filters actually makes the air filters branded by Purolator. I like their complete line of Air/Trans/Oil filters. I drive fairly common vehicles, and that makes getting parts extra easy. Comparing the Hastings air filter to others, It's a solid performer... no fails yet... just good filter life. Same goes for the Oil filters.

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
Originally Posted By: Torino

Hastings and Baldwin are the same filters.. made by Clarcor. Hastings air filters actually makes the air filters branded by Purolator. I like their complete line of Air/Trans/Oil filters. I drive fairly common vehicles, and that makes getting parts extra easy. Comparing the Hastings air filter to others, It's a solid performer... no fails yet... just good filter life. Same goes for the Oil filters.

Clarcor the parent company of Hastings makes Purolator branded products for other industries and they are not associated with the Purolator Filter line for Automotive applications that you see in retail outlets.

My guess is in previous years the Purolator company or its owner broke off pieces and sold them to other party's.

Toto.

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
Read the Hastings site. They are professing to make the Purolator AIR filters. The Oil filters that sell under the Purolator brand are not Hastings/Baldwin.

Ok Motorhead one more time > Clarcor the parent company of Hastings makes Purolator branded products for other industries and they are not associated with the Purolator Filter line for Automotive applications that you see in retail outlets.
1. Read
2. Think
3. Comprehend

Answer:
1.Purolator branded products
2.for other industries
3.not associated with the Purolator Filter line for Automotive applications that you see in retail outlets

Bringing up an old thread, but once again, I wish to solicit your guys' opinions. I've used Wix on many different vehicles for many years, and for my previous applications, the price was very attractive from my supplier, with the 51515 being like $2 cheaper than a Fram. Anyhow, the Wix 51365 for my G37 runs $9.99 my cost. That has the silicone ADBV and all the usual Wix features, with a bypass valve setting of 8-11 psi.

I can get the Hastings LF113 for about $5. That has the nitrile ADBV (I know the debate, and I'm satisfied with either nitrile or silicone). It has a 14 PSID bypass valve. As an aside, the oversized LF240 has the same setting, and would probably fit, although price and availability are unknowns.

Of course, getting the factory Infiniti/Nissan filter's setting doesn't seem to be an easy prospect, for comparison's sake. Oddly enough, they apparently use the dreaded fibre end caps. Your thoughts on Hastings versus Wix would be greatly appreciated. There is also a Motorcraft cross reference, but price is unknown at the time. I've used a lot of Motorcraft filters over the years to, with nary a problem.

I'm well aware of Hastings stellar reputation, so no one has to convince me that Hastings is a quality filter. I'm just wondering about the bypass settings, or if I'm reading too much into the issue.

I suppose I could go with John Deere and really be strange, since they use this filter size, too. ;-)

I don't know - perhaps that's the difference. Hastings may cater more to those looking for an alternative to a John Deere or Kubota filter and spec their filters accordingly, while Wix may cater to those looking for a Nissan alternative.

I'd say that as long as the filter you intend to use is the manufacturer specified number, then you'll be good to go.

Personally, I wouldn't sweat a couple of pounds of bypass pressure.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I'd say that as long as the filter you intend to use is the manufacturer specified number, then you'll be good to go.

Personally, I wouldn't sweat a couple of pounds of bypass pressure.

Finding the manufacturer's specified number is the issue.
wink.gif
But the difference is what concerns me, and I'm probably concerned over nothing. But, that's what BITOG is for. We worry about things that wouldn't even cross the minds of other folk.

I'm usually not one to consider oversized filters, but the Baldwin one looks interesting. It's got the same bypass spec as the standard one, and there appears to be more than enough room for the oversized filter. In fact, I've never seen so much room beyond the dome end side of the filter on any other vehicle, except on vehicles where the filters were mounted vertically. That's why I didn't make a mess, and I always make a mess.

Well, I did make a mess dumping the oil from the drain pan into a used 5L container, considering the last person put over 6L of oil into the engine. 6L of used oil does not fit very well into a 5L container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back