1995 Cummins 8.3 - 191K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only thing I did different was I ran it on high idle for about 9 hrs. I noticed a different look/feel in the oil after that. Wonder if this has anything to do with it?

E56318.jpg

Maybe this will be better: Online version

Last edited:
The most likely scenario here is that you got a big wad-o-soot in there. The high insolubles with the high viscosity point to that. Do you have other UOAs to compare this to? Seems like a lot of soot for just 2900 miles, even considering nine hours of high idle. Oxidation can also cause high insols and an increase in viscosity. Because you didn't get the TBN test, we can't tell much about that. If it was oxidation, the TBN would read very low. But it seems more likely it's soot that oxidation. Wear metals are very low (and should be at such low miles).

The one thing I don't like about Blackstone report on diesels is that you don't get a separate soot number.

You can get a big soot load by lugging the engine, overfueling from a problem with the fuel system, or modifications, or a defective EGR system (if equipped) or plugged exhaust and possibly a turbo problem(exhaust blowing into the lube circuit of the turbo). I suppose it's possible idling could do it but in my limited experience, you usually see fuel dilution, not soot.

Some ideas to cogitate, anyway.

Last edited:
Not that it matters, this is a totally mechanical engine, no electronics but the fuel kill. This is my first test on this. I will do it again in 3000k as they suggested. There is surely not much soot at the back end of the vehicle. The guy that changed the oil for me added some Lucas to it on that oil change. I am not sure that is good or not. I didnt do it this trip. We have a road trip today, maybe I will try and blow some soot out of it.
smile.gif

Its a 2600rpm engine. I run it at 2000 most the time. Any suggestions on thinning out the soot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back