Toyota Super Long Life Coolant Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid that is almost 5 years old, and has 99,000 miles. I have had two coolant seal failures so far.

At 80K the water pump seal failed. At 99K the transaxle seam seal failed, leaking hybrid system coolant.

Having two leaks in under 100K miles seems unusual. Is there some problem with Toyota Super Long Life coolant attacking gaskets and seals?

I am not familiar with the hybrid Camry. I changed the pink coolant on my 2005 Camry every 30k(Drain and Refill). I did not have any problem with that vehicle.

The 2az's water pumps are about average, so that's not terribly surprising that you were getting some weeping and had the water pump replaced.

I don't know enough about the Hybrid tranny to comment.

No, I don't think either are common enough to think the coolant is a problem. They are also different seal types.

This may be a fluke or it may be a trend... But i owned an 06 Highlander Hybrid which developed an Inverter Coolant leak at about 68K. Sold it at 112k, and didn't do the 90K scheduled Timing Belt/Coolant Flush/water pump inspection due to the cost approaching $1000 and worries of the longevity of the Hybrid System and potential repair costs.

As an aside to the above. it's probably worthy to note that at the time of the Inverter coolant leak, i was denied warranty coverage for the repair even though the "Hybrid System" warranty is an 8year/80k mile warranty. Reason why i'm done with toyota as a company. In my opinion product quality of late has taken a plunge...

Interesting that you mentioned it. On the RAV4 forums there are many accounts of WP seal failures at low miles under warranty. Some members went through 3 WPs.

Mine is fine so far and will likely fail after warranty is over (in one month).

While I suspect defective WPs, the pink "super long life" coolant concern did cross my mind. I'm even considering going back to the old, red Toyota's "long life" coolant

My mom's '06 Matrix sprung a WP weep hole leak @ only 30K, replaced under warranty-but you guys are making me wonder...
Maybe I should change the wife's '05 xB coolant before it makes trouble?

I have noticed a lot of cars at work leaking with the pink stuff in it.... and its easy to see leaks because it leaves pink powder behind.....

Last edited:
Quote:
I am a Toyota technician and I have seen an unusually high number of water pump leaks with the Super Long Life Coolant (the pink stuff). Camry 4 cylinder models seem particularly affected. I have seen leaks as low as 15,000 miles on the odometer. I have also changed water pumps on probably half a dozen 5.7 liter Tundras under 30,000 miles. Anybody else noticed this? Myself, I flushed that stuff out as soon as I got my Tundra and installed a mixture of green coolant and distilled water. From there I will change it every 2 years of 30,000 miles. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Was getting ready to chime in with the same info. My '02 S-10 came with the pink stuff. It needed a new radiator last year and when I requested the pink stuff my mechanic told me that they were now off of the pink and back on the green b/c the pink was causing leaks. I've been running green for a year now and it feels great

Quote:
I too have seen way too many water pump failures with these so-called 100k coolants.

I drain/refill my radiator every two years and recommend that everyone does the same. With a shortened interval, there is no need for flushes/additives, garden hose technique, or other crazy coolant shenanigans......

Toyota pink is a great antifreeze and will keep your cooling system clean. Problems are that pump lube doesn't last indefinitely, and casting sand and metal debris will constantly be washed into and through your system. The only way to get rid of the debris is to install a filter, or change the antifreeze out regularly.

Peak Global and Zerex Asian are good substitutes for Toyota Pink and about 1/3 the cost. Both are available premixed 50:50. Peak Global is also available full strength and when you mix your own, always use distilled/deionized water.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-...-000-miles.html

There seem to be a pattern, unless the red to pink change coincided with cheaper batch of WPs. There is a leaking WP TSB on new corollas with a revised WP part number.

My 08 xb with 2az-fe engine had the wp leak at 20k miles. Fixed under warranty and no problems with the replacement with 44k miles on the odo.

Hmmm...my 2006 Lexus RX400h also had an inverter leak (new inverter ($7000 roughly for the part only)covered under the hybrid warranty without any problem).

More recently, like the OP, my hybrid transmission was leaking coolant from a seam as well. This was covered under the extended warranty as the transaxle (despite containing electric motors) is NOT covered under the hybrid warranty. Again, though, no questions asked...just replaced it under the warranty ($4500 for a new tranny, part only).

I hope there's not a problem with the coolant causing these leaks...

Sorry about resurrecting an old thread.

I am wondering if anybody knows anymore about Toyota long life coolant attacking seals. I ask because my mechanic (an indy who owns and works on a number of Toyotas) told me he thinks that the red super-long life stuff is causing seal leaks etc.

He has had to deal with a bunch of prematurely leaking water pumps and has told me he has switched out all the coolant in his own personal Toyotas. And he thinks that my Sienna may have developed a head gasket leak because of the coolant. He said the first thing he would do as soon as any Toyota owner's warranty expires is to switch out the long-life coolant.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
I am wondering if anybody knows anymore about Toyota long life coolant attacking seals. I ask because my mechanic (an indy who owns and works on a number of Toyotas) told me he thinks that the red super-long life stuff is causing seal leaks etc.

He has had to deal with a bunch of prematurely leaking water pumps and has told me he has switched out all the coolant in his own personal Toyotas. And he thinks that my Sienna may have developed a head gasket leak because of the coolant. He said the first thing he would do as soon as any Toyota owner's warranty expires is to switch out the long-life coolant.

Thoughts?

The Red coolant (concentrate) has been around for a long time with no issues.
The Pink coolant (50/50 ready) is more recent.

I don't believe the type of coolant is to blame for anything. That same coolant is used throughout the Toyota/Lexus line in millions of vehicles, many of which never have a problem.

I think the issue is with defective parts from a supplier.

I drove From Wisconsin to Naples FL and back within the last two weeks and my LS 430 drove like a car on a cloud. LOL. While in Naples, I decided to do the timing belt service on my 2006 Lexus LS430(86K miles)with a very good and well known independent Lexus/ Toyota shop.

I discussed the pink super life coolant with the shop owner and he was adamant on using the Toyota long life red coolant, instead of the super long life pink coolant. He mentioned that he has seen enough issues with the pink coolant over the years that they have stayed with the red coolant in many Toyota/Lexus vehicles. I have known this person for a while and know many other vehicle owners that go to him. I trust his judgment enough though it was tough not to have him use the SLL pint coolant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I drove From Wisconsin to Naples FL and back within the last two weeks and my LS 430 drove like a car on a cloud. LOL. While in Naples, I decided to do the timing belt service on my 2006 Lexus LS430(86K miles)with a very good and well known independent Lexus/ Toyota shop.

I discussed the pink super life coolant with the shop owner and he was adamant on using the Toyota long life red coolant, instead of the super long life pink coolant. He mentioned that he has seen enough issues with the pink coolant over the years that they have stayed with the red coolant in many Toyota/Lexus vehicles. I have known this person for a while and know many other vehicle owners that go to him. I trust his judgment enough though it was tough not to have him use the SLL pint coolant.

Did the shop flush your coolant system before installing the red Long Life and what did they use to flush, hopefully just distilled water. Somewhere I've read that it takes some time for Long Life coolant to rebuild a passivization layer on metals even after a distilled water flush during which the passivization chemicals are being depleted from the fill, you may want to look at draining and putting in new Long Life coolant sooner than later or doing a used coolant analysis.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

This almost mirrors exactly what my mechanic told me. He told me to get the super long life pink stuff out ASAP.

Btw I was sloppy in my earlier post. I was talking about the super long life pink not the red long life.
Thanks to those that pointed it out.

I've never heard anything before about any issues with SLL pink. There was a mention here that 'perhaps' using it in pre 1996 Toyotas could be some issue with solder used. But, SLL does not contain 2eha like dexcool which is a known plasticizer.

One thing about it, if the Red LL is used it has a shorter maintenance interval than the SLL, 2 years/30k miles. So that means those servicing the cooling system will have to do it more often, about two times as often, than those using SLL pink with it's 5year/50k mile interval.

Toyota says Red and pink are compatible but to get the longer service interval of SSL, a complete exchange needs to be done.

Toyota Long Life AF supplied at Canadian dealers shows that it can be mixed to 35% water / 65% coolant concentration for - 56C freezing point and 134C boiling point protection.

Last edited:
I have search here and on the web and it does sound like people are somewhat concerned with the Pink SLL coolant causing possible seal/gaskets/water-pump seepage. Cost of the red/pink coolants, I would think is a non-issue with a service facility because they will just charge the customer whatever it is. LOL... I think I will stay with the Red LL coolant and just do radiator drain and fills every 2-3 years. I actually called my local Lexus dealer and the service manager said the red coolant is fine and lasts at least 3-4 years and 50K miles... Red sounds like a good way to go with my Lexus LS430...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back