Can-Am Roadster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
I thought this thread was about the Can-Am Roadster yet 99% of the post are off subject.

Opinions are like b-holes, everyone has one.

It is. But the Harley haters need a forum. Any forum.

Sad, but true.

Originally Posted By: kballowe
I thought this thread was about the Can-Am Roadster yet 99% of the post are off subject.

Sad, but true.

The OT discussion in this thread was not started by Harley haters. Just the opposite in fact.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The OT discussion in this thread was not started by Harley haters. Just the opposite in fact.

I agree. Some people seem to have short memories.

It would probably be pretty cool if you could find some winter tires that would play nice with the stability control. I read somewhere that the stability control was picky about tires. I'm looking for vids now, someone has to have done it already!

Found a video: Youtube

Last edited:
I think a bigger problem during winter would be trying to keep yourself warm... can a heated vest and hand grips really accomplish this when it's below 30F outside and you're doing 60 mph?

I checked online and it states the Valkyrie was made from 1997-2003. there must have been a reason for such a short production run. Low sales, lack of interest or whatever.Still the fact remains its a part of history. While Harley's fatboy is one of their most popular sellers. The style of which no metric can match or the riders ability to personalise it to their own taste. Then there's the time tested power-train.which has been the main factor why the moco has been around longer the all the metric company's.In fact I believe the fatboy has been in production for 20 years. they've been sold arould the world so lots of people must want them. As far as resale,all bikes and "toys" boats, Rv's, and ATV'S aren't selling to good these days.But Harley still retains a higher percentage of value due to demand. If you look on Ebay valkyries, sell in the low $4k-7k range. bikes that are out of production don't retain value. And alot of those are the ones people try to make it look like a Harley with batwing fairings and other look alike goodies.A Harley Fatboy's low end is in the 7k range then upward. But if your happy riding a out of production bike with low resale and visual appeal, nobody's stopping you.I think the reason some guys claim there going to keep their bike forever is, they don't have any choice in the matter.,,

Would you say Harley has perfected the V Twin? If not, what brands have perfected the V Twin?

How many other types of motors besides V Twins has Harley ever produced?

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
blah, blah, blah

So what do you think about the Can-Am Roadster?

May be nice for some people, but out of the question for me at this time. I was starting to feel like a 500 lb bike was a bigger bike than I wanted to own so I sold it and got a scooter.

I've never seen a Stallion trike before. Then around by me you don't see alot of trike's either. It seems Harley was betting on the riding population getting older and would gravitate towards owning a trike when the bike gets to be too much.The companies like Lehman do alot of conversions, but at the price of a conversion it makes people re think whether they want to spend the $$$. It seems to me that can-am bikes are a Johnny come lately in the trike world and I predict they will give it up in a short while when new bike sales remain flat. Like Indian, they came into the market with high priced toys at the wrong time.,,
Here's my thoughts as posted earlier. How much can you say about a rarely seen bike?

So if a fatboy and a valkyrie cost about the same. and the fatboy is such a undesirable bike, why do they still sell it and what year did they stop making the valkyrie? I guess the valkyrie just faded away like all the other metric bikes that once they were sold, dropped in value and the desire of bike owners to have one. No factory support and no after-market support for bikes that are no longer in production. Speed did have something to do with it, it came into bike world fast, and left just as fast.,,

I see you haven't changed. Still selling Harleys and bashing metrics, huh?

Sad, but true.

And apparently, so do the metric haters...

Have you ever noticed Bigcahuna's ONLY argument is sales numbers? Maybe it's because he has nothing else to back his position?

Sad, but true.

Let's see.

hal2626 posted "Nothing says I am a financially embarassed real motorcyclist like riding a small,cheap Japanese cruiser......LOL" and I pretty much agreed with that... having working in bike shops on and off, for most of my life.

Then it was "ON".

Mr. Scoot then basically calls me stupid and invites me over to his place to "prove my manhood". I suppose this is OK with everyone else, as I am a current Harley owner. Doesn't matter that I also own three Japanese bikes and a Chinese made scooter.

I got a kick out of the invite, though. As a former Marine, a current black belt, and a Missouri State rifle/pistol champion I had to say that it did make me chuckle, just a fuzz.

Then there was the inference to my financial stability. Yes, all of my stuff is paid for. We are cash buyers. My wife and I both grew up on farms in the Midwest and we inherited those Midwestern values.

And more.

Of course, after THAT, it was all Harley-Davidson's fault.

But I have to say to you Mr. Pete that I meant no disrespect to you in any way, shape or form. You are a great contributor to Bobistheoilguy and I enjoy reading your posts.

I apoligize especially to you, if I have offended you in the least.

I'm still waiting for that apology from Mr. Scoot.

Keep the shiny side up.

Kevin

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
So if a fatboy and a valkyrie cost about the same. and the fatboy is such a undesirable bike, why do they still sell it and what year did they stop making the valkyrie? I guess the valkyrie just faded away like all the other metric bikes that once they were sold, dropped in value and the desire of bike owners to have one. No factory support and no after-market support for bikes that are no longer in production. Speed did have something to do with it, it came into bike world fast, and left just as fast.,,

I see you haven't changed. Still selling Harleys and bashing metrics, huh?

Oh c'mon now. If that ain't the pot calling the kettle black, then I don't know what is.

Seems to me the OT started by a fly-by post from someone that hasn't posted in the thread again and that, from their signature at least, doesn't own a motorcycle. Of course, we all could have let that one go and stayed on topic, but once the words "Harley" or "Davidson" come out people can't control themselves. We can have plenty of metric discussions without incident, but, by God, the mere utterance of "Harley-Davidson" is a call to battle.

Now, on-topic...I don't care for can-am's, but they are pretty popular here in AZ. If you live in a place that allows you to ride year round with little to no rain I can see it being a decent alternative to a car.

Last edited:
People should be able to ride what they have without being frowned upon by any particular group. Unfortunately, there is one group, and we all know who they are, that tend to assume they're elitists and owners of a superior product simply by weight of what they paid for it.

Unfortunately, that's false economics. In most instances, they paid far too much for what they got. Which is a technically inferior product that does nothing really well and aspires, at best to mid level mediocrity. Not sure too many motorcyclist would be envying that.

However, from the sales numbers of a certain brand, fast, powerful, nimble motorcycles might just be too scary for a lot of folks.

I apoligize especially to you, if I have offended you in the least.

No offense taken.

I still believe there is a right time and place in everyone's life for a "small, cheap Japanese cruiser." My first bike was an even smaller and even cheaper Japanese cruiser (Suzuki GZ250). Could I have afforded a big, expensive, non-Japanese cruiser at that time? Sure, but I just finished taking my MSF course and I did sit on many larger bikes, and no way in [censored] did I feel confident or comfortable handling them. Plus, being a new rider, there was a pretty high risk that I was going to drop it. Dropping a $2K bike is easier to swallow than dropping a $20K one. That's why I bought what I did. Will I ever upgrade to something significantly larger than my current Vulcan? Probably not... I'm only 5'7" and weigh under 150 lbs. Big bikes aren't for everyone, pricing aside.

By the way, the OT discussion started with 97prizm saying that according to his dad, as far as real motorcyclists go, the Harley-Davidson crowd laughs at Can-Am owners. My apologies to everyone for taking that bait.

I think a bigger problem during winter would be trying to keep yourself warm... can a heated vest and hand grips really accomplish this when it's below 30F outside and you're doing 60 mph?

They look like they would have superb weather protection, so I'd imagine that it would be absolutely doable to ride one of these in 20-30 degree temps with no more than heated grips as long as the ride duration was an hour or less. With heated gear you would probably be money for as long as you wanted to ride.
Shoot, sled riders ride in the winter exclusively!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back