How does walmart figure their pricing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the local Walmart to buy some 15/40 wt cheap store brand oil for the mowers.They didn't have any 5 qt jugs, so I was going to buy a gallon jug for $10.15. Then I saw the price for a qt of the same oil was $2.43?,or $9.72 for a gallons worth. I thought you got a better price if you bought a gallon over a qt, but I guess not.,,

Last edited:
You know wallyworld creator Sam Walton would roll in his grave if he saw all the "Made In China" [censored] in his stores. He was an Avid "Made in the USA" guy.

How they figure their pricing is based upon fuel costs, to transit goods and supply and demand like any business.

Wallyworld used to be a deal, now a days they are not. I can find similar items or identical items at competitor places for less. I think Wallyworld is just loving the fact they have such a huge share of the market most people "Assume" they are the cheapest.

With Gas prices the way they are going, and heading, it just makes sense to buy everything at one place, food, products, etc. That is how Wallyworld has everyone beat. Its "Convenient".

Expect prices to go up as Gas prices go up. Not just for the Oil you buy, but for the Transit costs of just getting it to the stores.

Jeff

Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't.

One has to have their thinking caps on and pay attention as bigger is not always cheaper per unit volume, weight, etc.

I've noticed this with oils, ketchup, and other items from time to time. So pay attention the price per unit, not just the item price.

Perhaps there was a sale or roll-back going on? I've seen sales on grocery items when the smaller packages were less per unit than the larger size.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I went to the local Walmart to buy some 15/40 wt cheap store brand oil for the mowers.They didn't have any 5 qt jugs, so I was going to buy a gallon jug for $10.15. Then I saw the price for a qt of the same oil was $2.43?,or $9.72 for a gallons worth. I thought you got a better price if you bought a gallon over a qt, but I guess not.,,

Woopie! You'll save 42 cents if you purchase quarts....
Do we need any more of this kind of post???....its just a waste of time. In fact, I'm sorry I took the time to make this comment.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Do we need any more of this kind of post???....its just a waste of time. In fact, I'm sorry I took the time to make this comment.

crackmeup2.gif

I'm sorry I wasted you time. So please, go ahead with the significant post you were going to post. Were all waiting for your pearls of wisdom.,,

Having worked a number of years for another big box chain and several other retailers if can say that previous posters are right. Consumers have been trained to accept that thee big packages are the better buy. Another observation. If you buy groceries at Wally World you have probably have been led to believe their house brands are cheaper.Look close, some times the brand names are almost identical in unit cost and at times even cheaper. It is sometimes cheaper, given the price of gas to go ahead and buy everything at WM. Especially if you live in a rural area and all the mom and pop's and even smaller chain stores were crushed because they couldn't compete. In my area at least the "Dollar Store" type retailers seem to be moving in to bring some competition back to rural markets.

Yeah, I don't get it. Typically, the quart prices are outrageous.

I was looking at Rotella the other day. They had quarts, gallons, 2 1/2 gallon and 5 gallon containers. The cheapest (per quart) was the gallon containers. Go figure.

Ruh Roh..... A new topic cop. If you play your cards right, you might get promoted to spelling/grammer detective. You can search the board for dangling participles, and poor pucntuation.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I'm for saving 42 cents anytime I can.

But why bother everyone on this board about it.

There seems to be more comments on my 'Woopie' post than a few cents savings on the purchase of a few quarts of oil.

we're still waiting for your worthwhile post so we can really have something worthy of reading.It's been 2 days and you post nothing but whining.,,

Your last post proves....that the original post (saving .42 cents on an oil purchase)....was really worthless. I don't have to say anything else.... except to reinarate...Woopie!....I've learned so much for this post.

Last edited:
So you have nothing at all to say except to criticise my post? Next time why don't you just skip over it, or post something worth reading.So far you've proven yourself to be rude and bitter, and having NOTHING at all to say. Please go away.,,

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Sounds like everybody could save .52 cents on a pack of tampons! GEEEsh!

made me giggle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back