Replacement for iPhone 3G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
My AT&T connection is just fine as long as I'm not talking to anyone with an iPhone 4.
wink.gif

I'm starting to think that's not even a joke anymore. When I talk to my friend who has an iPhone 4, he always sounds muffled or he seems to cut in and out. Doesn't happen with other people who use different phones on AT&T.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Look up "antennagate"

It isn't a joke.

Yeah, I know about that because I was researching the iPhone 4 when it first came out because I wanted one. In addition to that, the three week waiting period to get one was ridiculous so I decided to get something else. Glad I didn't jump on the bandwagon. But my friend has one of those plastic bumpers on and the sound still isn't great. I know it isn't on my end.

you don't buy an iPhone if you want to use it primarily as a phone.

Seriously.

Windows Phone 7, or any other AT&T phone won't drop calls like an iPhone.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Windows Phone 7, or any other AT&T phone won't drop calls like an iPhone.

Actually that depends on the baseband chipset and technologies.

One of the reason why the AT&T iPhone isn't as great as other GSM phone or the Verizon iPhone is the chipset. Infineon is just not as experienced when compared to TI or Qualcomm. They are relatively a new comer unlike the big boys who have been doing it for 20 years+.

Verizon iPhone uses the same CDMA chips that everyone else uses (almost always Qualcomm).

I ended up upgrading to a new phone over the weekend and went with an HTC Inspire 4G.

So far, I think it's absolutely great and does everything I need it to and I really like the big screen. I was a little scared that the battery would be grossly insufficient but it still surpasses my iPhone 3G.

My only complaint is that there are several programs preloaded that I can't remove, which seems absolutely ridiculous. I have no need for a Blockbuster app or a road navigation app that I pay a monthly fee to use. Rooting the phone isn't an option, so I'll just have to learn to ignore the undeletable apps. Does Verizon do the same or is this an AT&T thing?

Quote:
Rooting the phone isn't an option

If you dont mind me asking,why not?
I rooted this one and improved battery life to 2 full days or more depending on what i do with it,got rid of the bloatware and can install apps that only work with rooted phones.
Sound quality is greatly improved.

It took about 30 min to do and cost nothing.

Originally Posted By: Trav

If you dont mind me asking,why not?

It's a company phone. Our IT guys were pretty clear about keeping it in its original, approved state. They said it was about security but I suspect somebody, at some point bricked their phone and they don't want to deal with the consequences.

I should add...

The more I play with the phone, the more I like it. I'm especially a big fan of plugging it into a computer and it acting like removable storage, how it uses a standard micro (or is it mini?) USB cable, how it has a removable SD card, a user replaceable battery, automatically syncing with my google accounts, etc.

I've been using my iPhone 3G for so long, I really had no idea how much smartphone displays and speed have improved.

My Verizon Droid 2 has a lot of bloatware also. Here are all the non-removable apps:

Amazon Kindle
Amazon MP3
Blockbuster
City ID
Skype mobile
VZ Navigator

I don't read books on my phone, don't buy MP3s from Amazon, don't watch movies on it, don't care what city a phone number is from, don't Skype, and don't use Verizon's navigator.

I'd root it, but I've already had one replacement Droid 2 phone and don't want any warranty issues if I need another. This one seems much more stable than the last, so hopefully it was just a bug in the first one.

Originally Posted By: kb01
...how it uses a standard micro (or is it mini?) USB cable, how it has a removable SD card, a user replaceable battery...

Those are the things that hold me back on an iPhone. Non-removable storage, non-removable battery, non-standard power connections, etc. You can pretty readily get extended-life batteries for the Android phones, but with the iPhone, you're stuck with what you get.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

This is because of the underlying technology difference. EVDO is just not as fast as HSDPA that AT&T is currently using.

But in voice quality CDMA will be better than GSM.

Yeah, if your AT&T connection doesn't drop on you.
lol.gif

Lately my AT&T connection (personal iphone 3GS) has been stronger/more consistent than my Verizon connection (work blackberry and air card). Surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back