What has been your best Fuel System Cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only two PEA ones I've used (tried a couple non-PEA based that were junk) have been Regane and Redline SI-1. Found Redline delivered the best results, subjectively (kind of hard to measure), but Regane is solid too and still my usual choice because of local availability.

-Spyder

I found a local guy carrying Red Line products, on a route I take once or twice a year, just a couple of counties over. I may just pick up some SI-1 when I'm out that way next.
laugh.gif

I'm using Techron concentrate at 2 oz / 10 gallons as a fuel additive...got it for $4 a bottle earlier in the year.

Seeing a gain in mileage.

Will probably go with SI-1 later at 1 0z/ 10 g.

Originally Posted By: gotek

Will probably go with SI-1 later at 1 0z/ 10 g.

Good choice, however they suggest 1.5 oz/10 gallons of fuel, as a maint dose. HTH

Chevron Techron concentrate, always pick up 2 bottles when it's on sale 2 for one. Run it once a year with 6.5 oz of MMO/16Gal every fill up, my 04 stratus with the 2.7 is getting better gas mileage now at 115,000 miles than it did at 50,000 when I bought it. ~29mpg at 75mph, car is only rated at 25mpg so I can live with that. The best proof I had was when I started getting rough idling and a bog/hesitation around 85k, I researched a bit and went with the techron, by the end of the tank my mileage had improved significantly since I drive the same route every week and the rough idle/hesitation completely gone. Car has never run better and it's kept me a happy customer. Whatever works for you is what's best in my opinion.

Just put a bottle of Lubro Moly Jectron in my tank with my last fill up.
Been really pleased with it. I am 1/2 way through the tank and my engine seems to idle a little smoother and I seem to have a little bit more pep to the throttle.

It could just be placebo. But we will see if it continues on to other fills.
Typically I run a tank down to near the E then refill.
I find that the most drastic results of a fuel system cleaner is while it is in the tank, afterwards the car seems to go back to its normal old self.
It would be interesting if some cleaning actually was going on in there.

If you want some good proof that what you're putting in your tank is having some effect, try it out on cleaning some harder than heck to clean parts. 2 stroke snowmobile VES valves, horrifying carbon build up that could otherwise only be removed with a grinder/sanding like a mad man and constant carburator cleaner spraying/soaking. This year I pulled them and poured a bottle of Chevron Techron Concentrate into a glass cup, let it soak overnight maybe expecting the carbon to be a little weaker: Literally rubbed off with a rag, definitely something working in there that cleans deposits up nicely.

Ya, I know this is an old dead thread, but....
Has anyone tried the new Royal Purple fuel system cleaner? I was curious of how well it works, I was thinking of trying it out next time around. Oh, and for my .02... for my truck what is a good maintainer in between cleanings, 1-gallon of Coleman fuel (white gas) in the 40 gallon tank before fill up one every other tank. You can get a gallon of Coleman fuel around here for about $3.

Originally Posted By: dlafoy
I just put a can of placebo in my tank. Man it feels amazing!
eek.gif

20 years ago I was given some Slick 50 to test we tried it and found no difference but then I filled the bottle with ordinary engine oil then gave it away and a week later he was telling me how much quieter and smoother his car ran along with using less fuel.
I never have had the heart to tell him (it's my brother).
There is a saying I use "bullsh1t baffles brains".

Looks like people are just naming what they use...
Why are most posters not explaining WHY the named product is the BEST and how did they come to that conclusion?

(As for me, I have pretty much used only Techron. haven't used anything else to compare so I can't say it's the 'best'...)

Techron is good , but the best I ever used was DuPont DMA 54
DMA is for detergent motor additive 54 is the formula #.

Redline as well, I've had some amazing luck with it. Also honorable mention to Techron, MMO, and UCL. Nothing compared to the results I have had with redline. You have to have an old car loosing power to really reap the benefits, but even with my new car I'm still using it. Ran Redline in a dying 1995 bronco and it brought it back to life and I ended up selling it for top dollar. Had a slow response condition and i tried a couple things and when I ran the redline it was an immediate response only about 1/2 the tank into trying it. First redline product I've ever used, now I'm hooked on all their stuff. I wouldn't mind trying kreen too, that stuff looks promising as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back