Noob question: Tightening Drain Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question up front: How do you know when the drain plug is tight enough (and not too tight)?

Did the first oil change for myself in a VERY long time yesterday on my wife's 07 Acura MDX (did a thread for advice). One thing that got me and need help on: Was going to torque the drain plug to spec but my torque wrench was too big to fit in the space available.

The person at the autocraft center that was helping me said to finger tighten as much as I could (which I did). Still a bit nervous that I got it on well enough. To heighten my anxiety, there was a small spot of oil on the ground today. Could have been from where it hit the frame while draining but still makes me nervous.

For reference, manual says to torque it to 29 ft-lbs.

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
Question up front: How do you know when the drain plug is tight enough (and not too tight)?

Use a torque wrench. Use an extension if you need to.

Quote:

For reference, manual says to torque it to 29 ft-lbs.

Maybe the Hulk can finger tighten a drain plug to 29 ft-lbs. I know I can't.

Where do you find a shorter torque wrench? Mine (old beam style craftsman) was too long to fit on car on jackstands - so was the available click style one they had at the shop.

Last edited:
Did you replace the drain plug gasket/washer(which is the proper word lol?)

I always use my socket wrench and tighten as much as I could.

If you replaced the crush washer you should have a wide latitude of torque. It's hard to describe "snug and a tug" but a regular guy in an akward position with a regular length wrench should not have a problem.

Just went out and gave it a 'tug' with moderate pressure with a box end - turned maybe a quarter of an arc or a little less. Had parked it in a different spot - no oil on ground. Think I'm good now. I'd prefer to be able to torque (at least until I have the feel of it) but I think I'll need the lift for that.

That's an excellent question that's near impossible to answer!

Hand tightening is just plain silly.

Hmmmm. According to above, go buy a pretty well built refrigerator? Or, lower your strength to weakling status and "tighten as much as possible"?.... I could (and have) stripped a few threads at no where near "tight as possible".

What is the orientation of your plug that you cannot use a torque wrench? Also, be wary of torque wrench use without proper education of them.

I am waiting for a good answer to your dilemma. How do you teach someone "by feel"?

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

I am waiting for a good answer to your dilemma. How do you teach someone "by feel"?

I think every newbie has to destroy a few screws and bolts in order to learn how to tighten bolts by feel.

With that said, I think a general guideline is if you cannot tighten the drain plug any further with a < 10" ratchet or wrench using moderate force, then you have probably achieved the proper tightness.

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
Just went out and gave it a 'tug' with moderate pressure with a box end - turned maybe a quarter of an arc or a little less. Had parked it in a different spot - no oil on ground. Think I'm good now. I'd prefer to be able to torque (at least until I have the feel of it) but I think I'll need the lift for that.

You just hit on the solution, using a small hand wrench, it is almost impossible to over tighten. I've NEVER torque wrenched an oil drain bolt and have NEVER had a problem. Congrats on figuring it out on your own. And more props for getting back into the DIY business. No one will ever care about your car done right as much as you do. Good job.

Last edited:
+1, indydriver, haven't torqued one yet
laugh.gif

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a torque wrench on a drain plug. Yes, if you have mechanical experience, you can do it by feel, but that doesn't make someone who uses a torque wrench some kind of fool.

Another option is to forgo the drain plug altogether and install a Fumoto Quick Drain Valve instead. When you install it you have no choice but to go by feel, but it doesn't require much torque and the gasket they give you works really well.

laugh.gif

Another reason why you shouldn't count on the advice of an auto parts store rug rat....

This guy really told you tighten by hand????!

Really?

If you are using a crush washer ( and you should ) all you need to do is use a short length box wrench and "tighten until snug". The soft washer will absorb the load and seal the gap perfectly.

Always use the proper crush washer.

I use a torque wrench and always replace the copper crush washer (speaking of which, I've only got one left and that's reserved for a buddy's Altima, I gotta buy some more). I'm getting to know how tight 25 ft lbs is, but I use the torque wrench anyway.

Originally Posted By: glum
There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a torque wrench on a drain plug. Yes, if you have mechanical experience, you can do it by feel, but that doesn't make someone who uses a torque wrench some kind of fool.

Exactly! My professional mechanic friend with 20+ years experience snapped off one of my lug nuts yesterday using his air wrench by "feel". This guy could rebuild an engine blindfolded. I don't consider him a fool either.

Why judge a person for how they get the job done? Lots of ways to skin a cat. FYI, I use regular wrenches for drain bolts, but I did test my skills once when I got new torque wrenches at work.

How do you use an air wrench by "feel". That's a new one to me...

Anyways, kudos to anyone using a torque wrench on their drain plug. I would never fault someone for being this thorough! If anything, it shows the dedication you have to your vehicle, and that should be commended.
I on the other hand can be a lazy SOB sometimes...so no torque wrench for me :p
But I've been doing oil changes on my car for a long time, so I pretty much have a "calibrated arm".

Here's a wild thought: Use a good torque wrench to set the drain plug to the low end of the acceptable torque range (or just below the low end of the range), then use a wrench to tighten by hand. That way you will get "the feel" and also know you're in the proper range. Then again this is coming from someone who just recommended RP break-in oil for someone asking how to break in a gearbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back