New fuel injector or rebuilt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Audi A4 quattro wagon with a 1.8 engine with one bad fuel injector.

Should I replace all four injectors? should I buy new ones or rebuilt ones?

Is there anything else that i should consider doing at the same time? The fuel filter perhaps?

How long will you have this car, and what is the difference in cost between the two?
If you plan on keeping the car for some time, and if the cost difference is small, buy it a new injector.
If the car has reached beaterdom, and you're just keeping it alive, go with the rebuilt injector.
You should check VAG forums for injector failures.
If they are common, you might want to replace all four.
If not, you just have a random failure, so just replace the one.
How long has the fuel filter been in service?
If your answer is "I dunno", replace it.
If it has been replaced within a reasonable time, leave it be.
A fuel filter usually clogs with debris over time, causing either fuel starvation or pump failure.
It usually wouldn't cause injector failure.

I bought the car at the end of November, and I had intended to keep the car forever, it has 71,000 miles on currently. The fellow I bought the car from had ever record for everything he had ever done to the car, so I need to go look though that file and see when or if the filter was changed.

The car is my wife's, which I normally lean toward doing everything the best way I know how.

I did go to the Audi forums and didnt see a lot about fuel injector problems, but it would take almost no more time to replace all four than to do just one.

The rebuilt injectors are about $40-45 and the new ones are about $110.00

I do all the work on the car myself, but as of Friday I was told I six to ten months to live. Which opens up another can of worms in the should we even keep the car? etc etc

I'd buy a new one and perhaps send the rest 3 of them to a fuel injector cleaning shop (along with the new one) for ultrasonic cleaning and pressure blueprinting.

Q.

old diesel injectors can be rebuilt, but modern electronic gas injectors? Not sure...

I looked on Rock Autos web site and NAPA's web site and they both offer new or rebuilt.

My gut feeling is to buy a new one and follow
Quests advice.

Given my medical issues I just want to leave my gal with a reliable car.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
I looked on Rock Autos web site and NAPA's web site and they both offer new or rebuilt.

My gut feeling is to buy a new one and follow
Quests advice.

Given my medical issues I just want to leave my gal with a reliable car.

Wow sorry to hear that. I Hope there wrong

Thank you Finalyzd, Fl_Rob, thank you so very much for your well wishes.

I talked to that new site sponser that does fuel systems, and he tells me a rebuilt injector is cleaned and a new filter inside the injector is replaced, but they cant do anything electricly with them.

so I am going to buy a new injector, for the peace of mind, as Fl_Rob suggested

again thank you guys!

I would go for a matched set.
New if possible.
Your lifetime expectations make this smart.

This may be an extra $50 or so over a regular new set, but it is your best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back