Looking to service 6F35- '10 Ford Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Fusion has ~25,000 miles now, I'm thinking I should service the trans. I also want to do this because of some previous issues I've heard of w/ the 6F35.

So, I was only curious about one thing. I removed the bottom cover(not hard, but arms get tired from all of the bolts). I think I found the drain plug, I removed it partially and some ATF dripped out. My only concern was that the plug is only 11mm. This trans has no pan either.

I just want to verify that this is the actual trans drain plug. Also, if it is, I recommend all 6F35 owners to do the service relatively often, as it's not too bad to do.

BTW, I'll be using Mercon LV and Lubegard Red.

Forgot to add; the trans acts "strange" occasionally, but nothing severe like I've read on some forums. I'm hoping this car is reliable long term. If the trans acts up on me and can't seem to be fixed like some are saying, I won't hesitate to trade it in. Although I would hate that because we really love the car.

Last edited:
The drain plug is the 11mm plug on the very bottom of the case where the case halves go together. The 6f35 does have a pan on the front but that only contains the valve body assembly the filter is attached directly too the pump but is internal and only serviced during internal repairs. Also mercon lv fluid has 2 characteristics unlike previous trans fluid, one is it may look dark or burnt after minimal use but this is normal for this fluid and unless there is an actual issue with the trans it is not a real concern. Also when you set the final trans fluid level with lv it must be at operating temp (180 to 185deg) due too a very high rate of thermal expansion with this fluid, (if you set it cold you will overfill). But over all besides some teething issues which most new powertrains experience this has and should be a good unit.

Thanks for the tip Joe. I've checked the ATF level a few times, always after at least a 20 minute run.

Kind of odd, but it seems a bit on the low side of the hash marks. I checked leaks(also half shaft TSB leak), and see no leaks.

Finally got around to this. It was pretty painless, there are 7 bolts to remove the engine cover. The drain/fill was also very easy.

Only difference I experienced was drain/fill amount. The procedure says 3qts per D/F, I got about 3.7qts per D/F. So, I only had enough LV to do 2 D/F's, or about 7.4qts. I also added 8 ounces of Lubegard red.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but shifting has improved! The fluid smelled ok, pretty strong. It was also quite dark, but others have said that it's characteristic of this ATF.

In my opinion, there's no way I would run this fluid anywhere near 100K, as Ford suggests. I'm going to do drain/fills every 25-30K. It currently has about 26,900 miles. If you own a Fusion, I would recommend having about 11-12qts to do the procedure.

Also, even w/ only two D/F's, the fluid on the stick is a nice bright red now. At the next OCI, I may do one more D/F. Or, I may just wait 20K or so and do it all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back