Pan drop on '04 Impala - ATF suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Chevy Impala 3.4L with approx 110k miles. This will be the first time I will be changing the trans fluid by dropping the pan and changing the filter. First time it will be done on the vehicle as well. I'm looking for some suggestions on what kind of fluid I should top it off with. I was looking a the Valvoline MaxLife DEX, but I'd like to get some input from the veterans on here.

Manual calls for Dextron III.

P.S. - I believe the factory pan gasket is reusable on this car, so I just need a filter in addition to the ATF. Does it matter if I go to the dealership or to AAP for the filter (AAP only sells the filter with a kit)?

Last edited:
I suggest OE filter. The part's store filters are Taiwan and or China filters. Pan gasket reusable, just wipe dry with a rag and no chemicals. Try any brand Dex6; Dex6 is the only auto trans fluid recommended by GM.

You'd be doing very well with maxlife!
If you want to do 110k tranny services.. I'd heavily recmmend using Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, Redline D4 or Amsoil.

the factory pan gaset it reusable.. I wouldn't bother reusing it.

+1 for any brand dex6
+1 for MaxLife or Mobil 1
+1 for filter direct from GM parts store

Any of these best for a 110k transmission? I don't want to 'shock' it too much. I'm leaning toward the MAxLife though.

BTW - I've heard not to wipe the pan as this could introduce lint to the trans.

I used this article from AutoBlog to do a pan drop on my '04 Rendezvous. I just did a change this past Sunday on it again.

I used Valvoline Full Synthetic Dexron VI and an OEM GM Filter.

I've reused the gasket both times I have done the changes on it. It is a good quality gasket and is still in great shape.

Maxlife does well in these,the newer version that meets DEX 6.
DEX 6 works well no need to go with DEX III.

The pan gasket is reusable,it has a steel core and is superior to those found in kits.
The TransKing kit from AA was made in the USA now China so forget that one unless you find NOS.AZ's is made in Taiwan also junk.
NAPA is still a U.S. made filter and can be bought without a gasket kit.

Put a bottle of lubeguard red in it.

Originally Posted By: Trav

......Put a bottle of lubeguard red in it.

+1 on the red bottle of Lubegard. I put it in this time and the transmission is running way better than before!

Originally Posted By: Trav
Maxlife does well in these,the newer version that meets DEX 6.
DEX 6 works well no need to go with DEX III.

The pan gasket is reusable,it has a steel core and is superior to those found in kits.
The TransKing kit from AA was made in the USA now China so forget that one unless you find NOS.AZ's is made in Taiwan also junk.
NAPA is still a U.S. made filter and can be bought without a gasket kit.

Put a bottle of lubeguard red in it.

+1

Reuse the gasket - It's better than any kit gasket. AAP does sell AC Delco's so you can use a coupon if your store stocks it. IIRC Delco's says Filtran on them. The kit isn't much of a kit. The Filter King comes with the filter, gasket and the filler ring/seal. The Delco comes with the filter, filler ring/seal and a note saying to reuse the gasket.

I am going to do my sons 03 Monte Carlo this month and will be heading to NAPA for the tranny filter. Probably will be using Maxlife ATF because it is a full syn and many like it here on this site...

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I am going to do my sons 03 Monte Carlo this month and will be heading to NAPA for the tranny filter. Probably will be using Maxlife ATF because it is a full syn and many like it here on this site...

Cool, I think I'll be doing the same! Are you going to do just a pan drop, or more of a flush by taking off a cooler line?

Lots of ATF in mine above the accumulator body/pistons. Like a quart or more. When I installed the shift kit in my 03 Bonneville, I was amazed by how much came out. That's my plan from here on out: Drop the pan, then loosen the accumulator body to drain the extra out. No need to remove it, just loosen.

Last edited:
I did a 04 impala 3.8L in Jan. Ordered an AC Delco filter from rock auto for 19 bucks. I had other stuff to order also, plugs, wires, fuel filter, pcv, etc. so just added the filter from them. I just did a pan drop, filter change, new fluid. I did a lot of reading about flushing, line flushing, pan drops and I chose to just do a pan drop every 20-30 thousand miles. It's easy and cheap to do, maybe took 30 minutes. I used maxlife from advance auto, using a discount code it is really cheap.

Originally Posted By: scott37300
I did a 04 impala 3.8L in Jan. Ordered an AC Delco filter from rock auto for 19 bucks. I had other stuff to order also, plugs, wires, fuel filter, pcv, etc. so just added the filter from them. I just did a pan drop, filter change, new fluid. I did a lot of reading about flushing, line flushing, pan drops and I chose to just do a pan drop every 20-30 thousand miles. It's easy and cheap to do, maybe took 30 minutes. I used maxlife from advance auto, using a discount code it is really cheap.

Scott thanks for your input. Your advice before for coolant flushing really helped me out! I'm thinking I'll probably just do a pan drop and filter change, but subsequently pump out/refill about 1-2 quarts during every oil change as illustrated in this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn_NlxVjF8M

Also, I'm assuming you used brake parts cleaner and blue shop towels to clean the pan and mating surfaces?

Last edited:
A few months ago, I syphoned out about 6 quarts of old atf on the 03 Monte Carlo SS and replaced with Maxlife ATF. This time I will be doing the pan drop and filter replacement. I can always syphon out and replace with some new Maxlife a few months from now. That should pretty much replace all the old atf with new.

I'll probably syphon out some atf before I drop the pan for hopefully less mess...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ljbrandt
Scott thanks for your input. Your advice before for coolant flushing really helped me out! I'm thinking I'll probably just do a pan drop and filter change, but subsequently pump out/refill about 1-2 quarts during every oil change as illustrated in this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn_NlxVjF8M

Also, I'm assuming you used brake parts cleaner and blue shop towels to clean the pan and mating surfaces?

Glad to help. The video you posted was pretty neat. If you don't already have the mityvac hand pump there is another option you should look into. This, http://www.tooltopia.com/mityvac-7400.aspx comes in a couple different options. This one is hand operated and only 60 bucks, that's only 20 bucks more than the mityvac hand pump. If you go with the hand pump you still need the fittings and hose. If you already have the hand pump than it would be cheap to do but if you don't have the hand pump already this would be my choice. I would spend a little more money and get the one that uses compressed air, I don't like pumping!

Just adding another option for you to consider.

Just wanted to give everyone an update on the ATF change. The pan drop & filter change went smoothly. I replaced ~8 qts of the drained ATF with the Maxlife Dex/MERC bought from AAP. Everything was fine except occasionally I would get a little slippage starting from a stop on an incline - otherwise everything was good. After driving ~750 miles, I decided to siphon out 2 qts of ATF from the fill neck and add a fresh 2 qts of Maxlife and a bottle of Lubeguard Red (highly recommended on BITOG). As of now, the trans is shifting smoothly and no more slippage going up hills at slow speeds! (knock on wood) Thanks for your help!

When I changed the fluid and filter on my 2004 Monte Carlo SS, I used Valvoline full synthetic Dextron VI and reused the pan gasket. My car had about 90,000 miles on it when I did it and I think it was the first time this car's tranny fluid had been changed. I plan on Changing it again soon so I can get more of the old stuff out.

I'm not a fan of flushes so I just do the pan drop method.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
When I changed the fluid and filter on my 2004 Monte Carlo SS, I used Valvoline full synthetic Dextron VI and reused the pan gasket. My car had about 90,000 miles on it when I did it and I think it was the first time this car's tranny fluid had been changed. I plan on Changing it again soon so I can get more of the old stuff out.

I'm not a fan of flushes so I just do the pan drop method.

Wayne

You could just syphon out the ATF through the atf tube and add new fluid. I did this and was able to get out about 6 quarts. Good luck...

That is what I plan on doing since I don't think the filter needs to be changed. The original one didn't look that bad.

Wayne

I just finished making the setup that was shown in the above youtube video using the mason jar. I only spent a little over $6 for the parts though I should have bought a longer piece of tube.

I already had the mityvac vacuum pump and the mason jar with lid. The brass fittings I used were 1/4 x 1/8mpt and I bought a package of 1/8 IP Tapped brass locknuts to secure the fittings to the lid. I used a 3/8 drill bit to drill the holes in the lid. The brass fittings then just screwed in the holes in the lid. One of the holes was slightly messed up so I used some silicone to seal around the fittings.

I then filled a pitcher up with water and hooked up all of the hoses and the setup works like a charm. It didn't take long to fill up the qrt mason jar.

Mityvac actually makes a mason jar kit that includes two different size lids that fit on mason jars and some adapters. I think the part # is 6845. I was going to buy it but the cheapest I found it for online was $18 and shipping was another $11.

So anyway, it works like the youtube one does and for anyone that already has the pump, its a cheap alternative.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back