Best lube for door hinges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Grease is almost useless. Well, OK... it does collect dirt on the outside of the hinge!
it does not get into where it is needed!

+1 about grease, it just makes the person applying it feel good that something is on the hinge, but nothing goes inside the hinge. I guess on the positive side it will keep the moisture out.

Quote:
Spray lubes or engine oil squirted at the joints of the hinge, and work it by moving the door. Repeat as necessary.

I do the same with chain lube, spray a bit move the door and I leave it on for a day or two and then wipe the hinge clean to keep dust accumulation to minimum.

Import car dealers usually spray the white lithium grease in the door hinges. Of course it become big blob of mess but that is what manufacturer recommends.

Originally Posted By: glum
Wurth HHS-K (the successor of HHS-2000) mentions "dirt-free lubricating points", so I don't think I'd use that. It's also breathtakingly expensive.

It says:

"Reliably separates the opposing body from the base body, ensuring optimum wear protection under high pressure loads. This is only possible with dirt-free lubricating points."

That's true for any lubricant. It doesn't make HHS any better or worse.

"Applications: Door hinges"

Voila.

It's never been cheap, I'll give you that. But a single can will last a long time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
Wurth HHS-K (the successor of HHS-2000) mentions "dirt-free lubricating points", so I don't think I'd use that. It's also breathtakingly expensive.

"Reliably separates the opposing body from the base body, ensuring optimum wear protection under high pressure loads. This is only possible with dirt-free lubricating points."

That's true for any lubricant. It doesn't make HHS any better or worse.

I took the sentence "This is only possible with dirt-free lubricating points" to mean that the lubricant won't work in the manner previously stated on lubrication points that are exposed to dirt. How else can it be taken? And obviously if a lubricating point is exposed to dirt, you don't want any type of lube that makes it stick and be imbibed.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
"Applications: Door hinges"

Voila.

I saw that. But "door hinges" could refer to hinges on an interior door in a building as opposed to the hinges on your car door or under the hood, both of which are exposed to dirt, pollen, etc.

One more thing - ditto KrisZ on those chain lubes being great!

They spray super thin and penetrate, then evaporate to leave a very sticky heavy lube!

Thanks guys! So what lube will be the best at not attracting dirt and gunk? Anything decent I can buy at Wal-Mart?

I took the sentence "This is only possible with dirt-free lubricating points" to mean that the lubricant won't work in the manner previously stated on lubrication points that are exposed to dirt. How else can it be taken? And obviously if a lubricating point is exposed to dirt, you don't want any type of lube that makes it stick and be imbibed.

I read it as a disclaimer that "optimum wear protection" requires a clean joint. But the German-to-English translations often lose their semantics, and are subject to undesired interpretations.

I saw that. But "door hinges" could refer to hinges on an interior door in a building as opposed to the hinges on your car door or under the hood, both of which are exposed to dirt, pollen, etc.

Well, the can of HHS I have prominently features a picture of it being injected into the hinges of a car door, captioned "Hinge Medicine."

Wurth clearly has few, if any reservations about such an application.

I have used the stuff and have seen its properties first hand, and I have no reservations either.

Wow, I'm definitely going to start using more of the HUGE Amsoil Heady Duty Metal Protector.
laugh.gif
...after the 3-in-1 oil treatment wears off. Or...maybe just fix the non-problem...wipe the door hinges clean/dry and go to town on spraying!

Thought of something. Would using a dry lube make sense on hinges? If the wear points are metal-on-metal to begin with, the lube can't really get in there (can it?), so the lube carrier wouldn't deposit what it needs to...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back