BMW X5 35d Castrol SLX Prof. OE 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 9000 mi (as opposed to 10.5K previously) TBN is still only 1.5, Fe down to 83 from 94, Al down from 33 to 27, Cu 20 down to 12.
They didn't give me a TAN this time but the 1st time it was 4.83. I think the high metal numbers are partly breakin and partly acidic corrosion.
I'll know for sure on my next UOA, this time with Delvac 1 LE 5W30 (starting TBN 12.6 instead of 6.4!!!). I'll push it out to 11-12K at least.
Soot went up from 0.6 to 0.9%. I've got to see if I can turn down/off the EGR.

Charlie

No, I can't attach the UOA to the post, the above were the salient features - slight decrease in miles, slight decrease in metals (still excessive IMHO), TBN still 1.5, Ca 1960, P 768, Zn 859. I understand why Mercedes uses the D1 LE as FF on Sprinters.

Charlie

Charlie,

I can think of a few possibilities. Fuel management is causing excessive TBN loss/fuel consumption. (typical of Euro diesels in the US, for emissions reasons). Lots of cold short trips?

The vehicle is in a heated garage (at least 46F.) It is driven about 40-45 miles/day.
I think the C3 oil is barely adequate for a passenger car diesel for 10k miles with a 9L sump at 25-30mpg but not for a SUV or van with the same sump at 19-22 mpg.
I'm positive the EGR doesn't help.
I'm done with that oil, I'm using an E6/E4/E7 oil now.

Charlie

Charlie,

What about the whole notion that these new Blue Diesels require a special oil, so as not to damage the urea injected exhaust systems that would cost thousands and thousands to repair????

Don't get me wrong....I am not picking on you..... I would be the first in line to use Rotella T6 in my 2010 VW Touareg....but am strictly required to use 507 spec'd oil...ie. Castrol SLX 5w30. Which until further proof...in my opinion....is very inferior.

Back a couple of months ago....I posted a question about the 2011 Ford and Chevy Diesel pickups that use Urea injection in the exhausts.....and why aren't they requiring 507 type oils. I didn't get much of an answer. As I understand it, these new diesel pickups....can use the robust HD oils. Why? Why can't our VW/Audi/BMW/Mercedes use Delvac or Rotella or Delo????

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
but am strictly required to use 507 spec'd oil...ie. Castrol SLX 5w30. Which until further proof...in my opinion....is very inferior.

You have other choices of oil that meet the 507 spec, M1 5W-30 ESP amd Fuchs-Titan GT1 5W-30 are two of them.

Charlie,

What about the whole notion that these new Blue Diesels require a special oil, so as not to damage the urea injected exhaust systems that would cost thousands and thousands to repair????

Don't get me wrong....I am not picking on you..... I would be the first in line to use Rotella T6 in my 2010 VW Touareg....but am strictly required to use 507 spec'd oil...ie. Castrol SLX 5w30. Which until further proof...in my opinion....is very inferior.

Back a couple of months ago....I posted a question about the 2011 Ford and Chevy Diesel pickups that use Urea injection in the exhausts.....and why aren't they requiring 507 type oils. I didn't get much of an answer. As I understand it, these new diesel pickups....can use the robust HD oils. Why? Why can't our VW/Audi/BMW/Mercedes use Delvac or Rotella or Delo????

E7 meets all of the LOW-SAPs criteria of C3 except for sulphated ash (E7 =/< 1.0 C3 =/< .8). This is probably because E7 oil are expected to be used in more severe conditions (higher ash oils seem to have higher TBN)

One interesting attribut of the vw 507 oils is that being a 30 weight is part of the specification. I think the previous VW diesel oil (504??) meets 507 in terms of being Low-SAPS but they can be 40 weight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Charlie,

E7 meets all of the LOW-SAPs criteria of C3 except for sulphated ash (E7 =/< 1.0 C3 =/< .8). This is probably because E7 oil are expected to be used in more severe conditions (higher ash oils seem to have higher TBN)

One interesting attribut of the vw 507 oils is that being a 30 weight is part of the specification. I think the previous VW diesel oil (504??) meets 507 in terms of being Low-SAPS but they can be 40 weight.

Thank you BMWTD; except you meant E6, not E7.
I would have no intention of using an E9/CJ4 oil in this vehicle. That has way too much phosphorus (up to 1200ppm). E6 oils have This D1 LE is not only E6 but also meets E7 (for soot) and E4 (for TBN>12). It also cost me $19/L with shipping from Europe...
Incidentally, Mercedes diesels with AdBlu can use this type of oil; 228.51 is OK even with their small diesels. But NOT 228.31 which is CJ4 essentially, which includes Delvac 1 ESP.
This is not ESP;, it is LE.
Mercedes AdBlu TRUCK engines can use 228.31, which includes D1 ESP.

Charlie

I'm not losing sleep over using D1 LE in the BMW diesel. The fact that ash will accumulate in the DPF 25% faster isn't a great current worry. I am confident my Fe #s will be much lower next time because of the double TBN.
The greater mystery is how it would work in the 09 Jetta TDI. Is VW picky just because of phosphorus and ash? Or do 507 oils have some secret ash free additive to, say, prevent cam wear that would be missing from an ultra high performance diesel truck oil like Delvac 1 LE? It has the right viscosity, the right P, just 25% too much ash but again double the TBN.

Charlie

I think that wear drop is too low in 2nd UOA for break-in comparing with the 1st UOA - maybe increased soot (in fact 50%) made it and not only corossion. I suppose that with this Castrol the EGR is getting too dirty too fast as well.
Delvac 1 LE is probably PAO based and has better/lower Noack and higher flash point than Castrol 507 - calculate/consider it as well - it doesn't have to mean +25% for your DPF but monitor it and let us know ;-)

On Subaru boxer diesel we have great results (less soot, better performance, higher MPG, quiet engine) improving our low quality diesel with this (3oz per every tank):
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/adf.aspx
there is also winter version for you if necessary.

Unfortunatelly, there still no authorized AMSOIL dealer in Poland - just a few small companies importing oils to Poland from other authorized EU dealers..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back