California Car Duster

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is directly from their site Car Duster From what it says their propriety paraffin coating can't be replicated. I would just use a high quality micro fiber to dust and clean. The are reusable, and don't contain any waxes in them.

Ive always been afraid that they will drag dirt across surfaces causing fine scratches.

You know, that's the coolest thing about them.

Somehow they lift off the dirt and the car looks great. Fastest thing you ever did to get a car all shiny again.

I think the last one I had was over 5 years old with almost daily use before discarding it.

I never cared for them on anything but a light colored car. Never really had any scratching issues, but the wax they are impregnated with always left streaks on dark colored vehilces, especially black cars.

There is a fine line between just enough dirt, and too much. If your car is garaged, then a CA duster would probably be fine. But an outdoor car, even after a single day, is beyond a Dusters abilities. I like to call them California scratchers lol. Only thing I loath more is those [censored] water blades.
I've had bad luck with both...probably because of my dusty area.

I have cleaned it, the spray it down with the super drying silicone (not the enviro stuff) and wait about a day before I use it so I wont get streaking.

I had one for 20 years('88-'08). Then I thought I'd clean it in Wool Lite. What a mistake! I ruined it. It never worked well again. Just pushed around the dirt/dust but, didn't absorb it into the fiber strands any longer. So, I went out and bought another one.

I love the California Car Duster. I have used knockoffs and they don't work anywhere near as well. CCD doesn't scratch my black car. But, it doesn't replace washing either. It's only for mild dust or keeping the car dust free throughout the day after you have spent hours cleaning/polishing and maybe the next day(if left outside) after some dust has settled on the paint. Great for garage queens!

I also love the California Water Blade. I have used knockoffs as well and they're not as good either. It's the "T" edge of the California Water Blade that zips off the water from the vehicle. I use it when cleaning the windows on the house too. Then polish the house windows to remove streaks.

I don't use the California Water Blade alone. I still dry the vehicle with microfiber towels afterwards. The CWB just gets me to the towel drying sooner. It doesn't replace drying completely anymore than the CCD replaces soap & water.

I like to wash my vehicles, zip'em dry w/CWB & finish towel drying w/ some quick detailer(when not spending the whole afternoon on the vehicle).

Always, when towel drying, always start out with a damp towel, never dry. I always keep my towel/shammy or whatever, soaking in a bucket of hot water. Sometimes soaking in hot water with a bit of fabric softener(very little)! Then wring out tightly, shake open the towel, fold into a small(er) square and then spritz Quick Detail, Show Time, Wax-as-U-Dry or what ever quick product you like(not wax) onto the towel and go over the whole vehicle as if you were drying the vehicle.
Removes water spots, streaks etc. And puts on a nice day to day shine without spending all day.

Apply more product to the towel or even to the paint, what ever make you happy
smile.gif

Last edited:
It helps to store the duster in a plastic garbage bag. Seems to keep it from drying out--especially important in the climate here. John--Las Vegas.

I've been using CCD's for a very long time and they are an X-cellent product to keep the dust down on your vehicle, a lot of people complain that they streak and scratch the paint, the key to remember is that when new they have to be aired out, when I buy a new duster I leave it out in the sun for at least three days for the wax to cure, turning and shaking the wand everyday ensures you get even cure, a big mistake I see when people use the wand is that they apply pressure when wiping down the car, this is a no-no. lightly wipe the surface to remove the dust, DO NOT SCRUB!!! do small areas of the car such as half the hood then shake out the wand and continue, a lot of people try to wipe the whole car in one continuos motion without shaking out the wand, another no-no. and all my dusters are hung in the garage,no bags, always,always shake out the duster before, during, and after each session.

Originally Posted By: pzev
There is a fine line between just enough dirt, and too much. If your car is garaged, then a CA duster would probably be fine. But an outdoor car, even after a single day, is beyond a Dusters abilities. I like to call them California scratchers lol.

Same here, especially with all of the highly abrasive pollen in the air, and falling out of the trees and onto my once black (now lime green
lol.gif
) car!
mad.gif

But I have had good experiences with the waterblades, but I also use a high quality microfiber to dry and get rid of streaks, and anything the wb left behind.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm

From what it says their propriety paraffin coating can't be replicated.

I wonder if an old can of Pennzoil would do the trick.
Trolling.gif

I use one of their smaller ones on my black motorcycle. I've learned that if there are any bugs splattered on any of the frontal surfaces and you go over those areas with the duster, the bug guts get on the duster and smear everywhere else. Then I had to wash the duster, and of course it's not as effective after washing. It's best to use the duster on the vehicle when there are no bugs on any of the surfaces. If used in this manner it should last quite a while. It does do a very good job of removing the dust...

Just spitballing here, but has anyone ever tried spraying a little Endust on their duster? I would think that would have the same effect as the stuff that comes on it when its new....

I've used Endust on my duster for interior detailing of my vehicles with no issues per manufacturers website, but have avoided using on exterior painted surfaces after some research on the topic. In the past, I had great success using Pledge on my motorcycles.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
I've used Endust on my duster for interior detailing of my vehicles with no issues per manufacturers website, but have avoided using on exterior painted surfaces after some research on the topic. In the past, I had great success using Pledge on my motorcycles.

I would think the Endust wouldn't hurt anything using it on painted surfaces, however, if I was going to try spraying it on the CD, I would let it dry before I used it, otherwise you're probably gonna end up with streaks. I guess the next question would be; does the Endust still attract dust once it has dried on the material?

I wouldn't use Endust on the duster, more likely to streak especially on a hot day
wink.gif

I had been using the CCD for many years, and maybe it's because the panels on my car are fiberglass (or some sort of composite anyhow) but when I used it on my Corvette I found that it ended up attracting more dust to the finish afterwards, so perhaps it was causing some sort of static charge on the paint? I would only use it very lightly, but it would still happen. Now I find if I just leave that little bit of dust on my paint alone and don't use the CCD, that it really doesn't build up that much more dust a day or two later.

I've also noticed that my paint attracts more dust right after I've put on a fresh coat of wax, and that after a few washings it attracts less and less dust, so therefore I don't even need to be using the CCD at all.

And my Corvette is black, and a daily driver, so for those of you with lighter colored cars that aren't driven daily, I don't see the need to be using the CCD all the time.

Maybe I'm just becoming less picky, or maybe after 7 years with a black car I'm just tired of chasing perfection, but I think I've gotten to the point where I see my car from ten feet away and it looks perfect so I figure that's good enough. I no longer worry about how it looks from 2 feet away, since most people aren't going to see it that close when you're driving around.

Also, as light as I was with the CCD, I do believe it helped add more swirl marks to my finish. I've buffed most of them out, but there is only so much clearcoat to go around, so I don't want to continue having to do that every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back