Motul 5100 10w50 vs Delo 400 15w40 CI-4+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just swapped out some Motul at the end of summer after 5,000km and went back to Delo 400.

The shift quality of the Motul 5100 was noticeably better and only started to drop off around the 4,500km mark.

I thought I was imagining it until I put the Delo back in. The tappets seem to be quieter with the Motul from cold as well.

Funny thing is I ran some 300V 15w50 and don't recall the shift quality being that much better than the Delo.

Strange thing Steve I think it may have been the different oils interacting.

I dumped the Delo 400 and refilled with a fresh lot the next day. I probably should have drained the filter as well but I was too lazy to remove the fairing again. That improved the shifting quite a bit to what I remember after doing a Delo to Delo change. The shift feel usually drops off a bit earlier than the Motul, around 2,500km. Although it is still quite good.

It is just the 5100 was that bit more better and lasted longer.

The Delo also has more clutch drag than the Motul 5100 10w50.

Wish I knew what the difference was in wear metals, but I have been a bit cheap and just based my choice on what other members UOAs are returning.

Delo 400 is good inexpensive oil, but The chemistry of Motul should provide slicker shifting.

Delo doesnt have clutch drag, it has solid clutch grip, the motul has less clutch grip, and why you are seeing the slicker shifting.

If you want to see horrible clutch grip or drag as you say, install some Rotella 15w40. its like a locking device on the clutch, or extremely notchy at best.

Last edited:
Well the clutch drag settled down. Seems like it was an interaction between the oil changing and the clutch. A couple of heat cycles on the oil and it was no different to the Motul, a little less if anything.

The shifting is still similar and how I remembered it. The 5100 is noticebaly better (slicker) and makes the bike more enjoyable to ride.

Will give some Maxima Maxum Extra 4 10w40 a try out soon as the price here has become more reasonable now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back