polaris atv gear/ transmission oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
what should be used in my new polaris 500 sportman's trans, front end and rear end?
they recomend the polairs synthetic blend but i want to put amsoil everywhere (already ordered a case of ams 0w-40). in one place they recommend 80w-90 if the polaris stuff is not available but there's nothing for anywhere else. i'm thinking series 2000 75w-90.

thanks

Is this a 2004 model? The Polaris lubes are all pretty good. They are all synthetic. The only place anything as heavy as gear oil should be used is in the front differential. The transmission is a light chaincase oil.

For what it's worth, I tried Redline 75-90 in front, rear and trans. It seemed like it had a slight 'drag' to it. Seeing that it's only a 330, I wanted the most I could get out of it. So I switched to the Lightweight Shock Proof Gear Oil. Believe it or not, it seemed to gain about 1-2 MPH VS. RPM. I don't know if Amsoil has a product like that, but that's what I'm sticking with. BTW, what came out of the front from the factory was like water, the rear had plain gear oil and the trans was ungodly black and runny. I've flushed the trans twice and the mag drain plug is OK now. It also appears to have helped the hard shifting a tad. Jim
smile.gif
Polaris 330 ATP

2ManyDogs,
The Sportsmans and the 330 are 2 different animals. The front gearbox is probably similar. It takes a 75W90 gear oil. The transmission on the Sportsmans includes the rearend gears as well since it is has independent suspension. Don't put gear oil in the transmission, it is way to thick (I can believe you lost power!). It takes a lighter chaincase oil that is more like ATF. I just used the Polaris lube. I think it is called Synthetic Gearbox/Chaincase oil. I think Amsoil makes a chaincase lube that is supposed to work if you are set on using Amsoil. The new 2004 models have the front hubs internal to the front end so now I think the frontend uses a much lighter oil similar to the hub oil in the older models. THat is why I was asking what year it was.

thanks in advance i have new 2011 500 sportsman ho and i cant find rear drain plug on the differential so i think the transmission and the rear differential share the same oil . so please if you know any thing please let me know . plus i went to the dealer they have no idea whats going on . thanks again

When I lived in AK a few years ago I had 5 Polaris ATV's & used nothing but Polaris oils in every hole. Not that I'm a Kool-Aid drinker- I just wanted to make sure I had the right stuff in there. Pricey, like the boutique synthetics, but it's good oil & you know it's the right stuff...
Just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back