Worn Out Plastic Chain Tensioners on 2007 Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the Fronty at the dealer to replace the two secondary timing chain tensioners (warranty) at 36,000 miles! They are almost completely eaten through by the secondary timing chains, a problem that Nissan Frontiers with the VQ40 engine have been having. It manifests itself as a siren like noise as the chains eats through the plastic and hits the metal underneath. Looking at the old part, it appears to my eye to be a nylon part but I cannot swear to that.

I have used only Mobil 1 in the engine and there was no visible varnish or color on any of the metal parts. But I am curious...does anyone here know of a relationship between oil type and this kind of sliding wear? I know from Frontier boards that all types of oil has been used where this failure is found so I don't think there is but I would likie to hear your thoughts, please.

Thanks in advance.

Ditto bluestreams comment. The type of oil used has little or no bearing on that failure, particularly in that timeframe. I say that as an owner of a 97 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC engine. That engine has the same issue for the earlier years (97-01 ish) that manifests itself as a terrible rattling noise.

I had an 04 Nissan Quest with 3.5L in for an oil change and check a noise out. Sounded like timing chain tensioners were coming right apart and I found a tsb for the problem. This one was actually knocking though. Oil was sludgy and appeared very under maintained though.

36k is pretty nuts. There's a very slim number of guys with Audi's 4.2L 40V V8 that have this problem. No real pattern to it yet. Even guys who ran VW-approved oils at the proper change intervals and babied the cars had it happen, but it's only a handful of cases out of thousands of motors made.

I have an 05 frontier. Does it have the same problem? 38,000 miles. Doesn't make any noise. How common is this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nissan engineers screwed it on this one,using plastic(of some variety)is just cheaping out,Ford did it too,Amongst others.How about this brainiak engineers ,A roller sprocket.. spring loaded, and torque adjustable.TA-DA.
33.gif

Madman, all Frontiers can have this problem as can any Nissan with the VQ40 engine. On some, it never happens. On others like mine, kaboom. It is covered by the power train warranty (5 years, 60,000 miles???). After that, on your own.

Also, some Frontiers have the auto trans cooler inside the radiator fail and put coolant in the trans. Requires a new trans in many cases. They have extended the warranty on this for 8 years, 80,000 miles, I think.

21.gif
It happens:

VR6 Volkswagens are notorious for this. The tensioner guide is plastic. Usually lasts 100-120k mi. Not much better than a timing belt.

Early ecotecs had similar problems (Saturn L-Series)

Mercedes Benz 380s puked out timing chains....though I think they just underengineered the timing chain. Not because of plastic guides. the warranty replacement chain was a double row chain

It's unfortunate at 38,000 miles. I only hope the replacement parts are of better quality than the originals

There might be some oil or moly additive which would have allowed you 5-10,000 more miles before failure.
But be glad it failed early enough for a warranty repair!

If the chain ate through the plastic down to the metal base of the tensioners, I would want a new chain aswell. . .

Nissan's KA-series engines also experienced this issue. I took the valve cover off my KA24E with 175,000 miles on it just to inspect the chain guides. They were pristine; they had to have been replaced before. The engine still rattled when it started, but was otherwise as tight as a drum.

I think all VQ-series engines (not just VQ40s) are prone to this.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Nissan's KA-series engines also experienced this issue. I took the valve cover off my KA24E with 175,000 miles on it just to inspect the chain guides. They were pristine; they had to have been replaced before. The engine still rattled when it started, but was otherwise as tight as a drum.

The cause of the start-up timing chain noise on KA-series Nissans is often the tensioner itself. Seems like it takes awhile to receive oil pressure like the oil port is sludged but it happens on well maintained engines too.
21.gif

With all those potential problems of a so called "trouble free timing chain", might as well just use a belt.

At least then you going to feel obligated to change it, and at least check or change the tensioner with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back