Best bike for a newb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sportster 883 Custom. Classic looks, forward controls, plenty of power, and the Evo engine still sounds like a Harley. Harley runs specials all the time where you can buy a new one for $99/month (my kid did this in '07) and when you're ready to trade up they give you the full price you paid when trading for a bigger Harley, i.e. no depreciation. My kid kept the Sporty for 2 yrs, then traded up to a Super Glide. Worked out pretty good.
Plenty of used Sportys out there too at reasonable prices...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OnTheFence
Why buy a bike you are going to out grow in a year or two.

So that you can learn on it and become more comfortable and confident without being overwhelmed by too much weight or too much power or both.

It may not be that hard. With no experience other than riding an 80cc as a child, I pulled the biggest Vtwin of the rack, and passed the DMV test on it a week later.

If I can pull it off, anyone can.

Originally Posted By: OnTheFence
If I can pull it off, anyone can.

It depends on one's physical features... height, weight, etc. If the OP is intimidated by a 750cc bike, why are you suggesting he gets an even bigger one to start with? It may have worked for you, but it does not work for most.

I bought a used 2001 Buell Blast with 13k miles for $500 in great condition. It's a good newb bike, but you may grow out of it quickly. Depending on what you ultimately want. It's very easy to ride and they are cheap.

You could easily find one in the 1000 to 1500 dollar range.

Only issue with the Buell if you keep it, could be parts in the future. Sinc Buell as a brand is dead, having an orphan bike long term may make parts supplies difficult to find.

"Something not to enormous and easy to handle. Prefer something more harley looking and less "crotch rockety"

If a 250cc is enough engine, a Yamaha Virago(or now sold as V-Star) 250 weighs only ~325 lbs with full tank & crankcase, has a V-Twin engine and is about as "Harley-looking" as you can get in a smaller Japanese bike. I'm a really raw newbie myself, and cetainly no authority- but I love my '96 Virago 250!
thumbsup2.gif

Not to mention the Virago 250 has enough power to get you along on the highway, and if you re gear it, gets phenomenal gas mileage. I love mine, and if I had the money to buy another bike without selling mine, I would keep it as a short commute bike. Outside the Ninja 250, its the most powerful of the 250 japanese bikes, but more comfortable and not nearly as buzzy. My buds have a couple 250's and mine runs away and hides from their GZ250 and Honda Rebel bikes.

Don't overlook an Suzuki DRZ 400, either the Dual Sport S model, or the Supermoto. Great bikes that will go 70 on the highway and survive throwing it down without complaining. I think everyone should start on a dirt bike to learn bike handling skills, without having to battle in traffic while starting out..

Some people are going to kill me for suggesting an 1100cc bike for a beginner but you could do a lot worse than a used Yamaha Virago 1100 if you like Cruisers...

You should be able to pick up a well kept late 90's or early 2k Virago 1100 for that.

Really the best beginner bike for an adult is a 250cc Street-Trail but you will want a bigger bike quickly.

Last edited:
The last virago above 250cc was in 99 if I recall. They went to the V star line after that.

I will say I know people that had good luck on the old 750 Kawasaki Vulcans as well

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
...I will say I know people that had good luck on the old 750 Kawasaki Vulcans as well

They weren't pretty, but the 750 Vulcan was a good riding motorcycle. Good seating position, good handling, engine that had not been de-tuned to make a specific sound, good brakes, and something that never occurs on a cruiser anymore....a tachometer!

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The last virago above 250cc was in 99 if I recall. They went to the V star line after that.

V-Star 1100 is based on the Virago 1100. That said the V-Stars usually are more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back