Looking for input on 1st OCI on new car...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I know this has been asked before.
I know Honda recommends going the full OCI.
I have always changed out the FF early inorder to get rid of break-in metals etc...
I realize new cars are different and yet I am still asking for advice (opinions) on when to change the FF in my new Chevy Cruze 1.4T???
Right now I'm leaning towards changing it at 3000 and then again at 7500 (using synthetic) and then by the OLM or every 7500. I may go earlier than 3K depending on the wisdom of BITOG.

PS: When I came to BITOG I was a dedicated 3K OCI guy. I now go further but I have never exceeded 7500 even with synthetic.
My OLM on my Buick seems to go off at about 6K.

I recommend that you follow the manufacture recommendations then start using your synthetic oil @ the first change.

The engineers that have designed and tested that engine don't recommend an early change for the lst oil change.

Chevy doesn't claim to use break-in oil...so there's no reason to worry about going the full OCI with the FF.

Most of the break-in wear occurs in the first 500 miles or so (that's what the manual implies when it tells you to avoid full throttle, vary the speeds, etc...) so I always figured 500 was a good time to do the 1st change and that's what I would recommend...you can switch at that point to your favorite synthetic (and my favorite synthetic is whatever I can get on sale...). Chevy uses synthetic as FF on several models, so no worries there either...

That said, your plan is fine. What's really going to matter over the life of the car is the total maintenance approach and the nature of the car's use. Every 7500 on sythetic is a good plan - it's what I do with my 2 cars that have a specified 7500 miles OCI.

you wanna let the new oil break in the clearances(hang on,let me get my firesuit)of the bearings and journals,but dont over do it.engine wear from not changing oil takes place over the entire life of the vehicle.

Years ago the recommendation was 1000 miles. That changed of course. Last several I have owned I ran about 2500. My 09 Dodge Hemi the oil change now 1st time came on at about 2500 on its on. Service advisor at the Chrysler store said about 95% or more new vehicles it came on at 2500. Said it was programed to do such. After that it comes on between 5k and 6k.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I recommend that you follow the manufacture recommendations then start using your synthetic oil @ the first change.

The engineers that have designed and tested that engine don't recommend an early change for the lst oil change.

X2, don't wory about break in metals; thats what the filter is there for

It will not matter when you dump the FF.

Millions of cars have had it dumped early, zero problems. Millions of cars have gone the full OCI, zero problems.

Personally, I dump it early at around 1k. Then I dump that at 5k and continue on with 5k changes. I'm old school, and if there's still some manufacturing crud in there, I want it out.

The bottom line is do what you feel is right and sleep well at night
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

negative johannson ,their recommendation is due to faulty manufacturing.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

It will not matter when you dump the FF.

Millions of cars have had it dumped early, zero problems. Millions of cars have gone the full OCI, zero problems.

Personally, I dump it early at around 1k. Then I dump that at 5k and continue on with 5k changes. I'm old school, and if there's still some manufacturing crud in there, I want it out.

The bottom line is do what you feel is right and sleep well at night
smile.gif

Only Honda is adamant about full OCI with the FF, whichever you choose to do, dump FF early or o full OCI doesn't matter to your new engine. Just do what make you happy.

Hi I left my FF until 8000 miles on my pilot. The car consumed oil about 1 qt. I refilled it with the cheap dino. After I dumped the FF, the car didn't need to add any more oil.

So if you are driving with FF, Make sure you always monitor oil level. and add oil if you need to..

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

if thats the case you shouldnt be scared to dump sand in your engine

Originally Posted By: pbm
I know this has been asked before.
I know Honda recommends going the full OCI.
I have always changed out the FF early inorder to get rid of break-in metals etc...
I realize new cars are different and yet I am still asking for advice (opinions) on when to change the FF in my new Chevy Cruze 1.4T???
Right now I'm leaning towards changing it at 3000 and then again at 7500 (using synthetic) and then by the OLM or every 7500. I may go earlier than 3K depending on the wisdom of BITOG.

PS: When I came to BITOG I was a dedicated 3K OCI guy. I now go further but I have never exceeded 7500 even with synthetic.
My OLM on my Buick seems to go off at about 6K.

i dont know if i would go over 3k on a new engine. wear metals are high for a long time on a new engine, so i would wait until 30k to stretch out to 7500.

but im sure that wouldnt make a difference, the engineers got it pretty well figured out, im just obsessive.

if it were mt investment i would dump it at 500 miles and every 3k after until 30k. but do what you like, im sure it will be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back