Oil selection - 2011 Jeep Patriot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

I am looking for input on oil selection for a 2011 Jeep Patriot with a 2.4L I4, 5 speed manual transmission, AWD w/ 4wd lock, and a factory oil cooler. I take delivery of the vehicle in April.

I live at 5,000 feet elevation in the Northeast Sierra mountain range, two miles up a 5% grade. We get snow and ice and it can stay around for a few weeks at a time. I do have a tractor with a front mounted snow thrower to clear the driveway and access roads on the property. I drive 54 miles round trip to work, two days a week (I work 4-10s and car pool). The commute is highway, minimal traffic, no stopping, with a speed limit of 65. I drive 70-75 when the roads are clear. The temperature in the summer can get up to the high 90s/low 100s for a few weeks. "Town" is a 15 mile highway drive away and the monthly COSTCO run is a 140 mile round trip. The vehicle will see a 1300 mile trip or two each year to San Diego, via the Sierra mountain range and the Mojave Desert.

After a bunch of reading, and some re-learning, I believe I am going to select one of the oils listed below for use in my new Patriot and follow the oil change indicator system alert for the interval (6mo).

Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20
Mobil 1 5W-20
Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20

All meet the Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395

The OM recommends 5W-20

"SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy. Lubricants which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used."

"You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed."

If improved low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy are a plus, why not use a 0W-20 synthetic?

Your thoughts are welcome...

Murman

I live in San Diego and I make a trip thru to the Yuma area every two weeks and twice a year I go visit family in Phoenix. I also make a trip thru Mojave to the Sierra's once or twice a year. All of the time the pick-up bed is full and with my family of 5. I do 6-8K OCI's on brand name conventional. So long story short use the whatever oil you can by that meets specs and change according to your owners manual for recommend OCI you will be fine.

Last edited:
This is easy, PP 5-20 keep it simple.Have it in my Grandsons Jeep and that is why I am suggesting it, from a good result. Look at the uoa section do a search on Jeeps. Not the end all way to decide but uoa give you an idea.
wink.gif

The 5W-20 of your choice is all you need for that vehicle in your location. Of the brands you list I would go with the Pennzoil over Mobil 1.

Thank you for the feedback and input.

Cost difference does not seem to be a factor.

Bulk oil prices: Wally World on Second street, Reno, NV. 25MAR11

5 qt jug, M1 5W-20 $24.50
5 qt jug, M1 AFE 0W-30 $24.50
5 qt jug, PP 5W-20 $23.50

I did not see PP 0W-20

They did not have M1 0W-20 in the 5 qt jug. It was $6.37 a qt...
The oil capacity is listed at 4.5 quarts.

For the cost, and extended protection capability, I may run M1 0W-30...

One up, one down...

The Patriot is two weeks old and has 2,000 miles of service. I am going to change the oil today. I have decided to use M1 0W-30 ($24.50 for 5 qts) and a NAPA Gold filter, FIL 7060 ($6.39 each).

224696_1660386195089_1400212990_31368440_4388226_n.jpg

Nice looking vehicle and should be spot-on for your described driving needs.
Change the trans, transfer case and dif lubes too!

M1 AFE would have been my choice as well, but I would use the 0W-20 to stay within your warranty requirements.

Both the 0W-30 and 0W-20 are great products.

Nice little Jeep...if the wife and I had been looking at new SUV's when we bought our Tribute, the Patriot was high on our list - I really like the look of them.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Nice looking vehicle and should be spot-on for your described driving needs.
Change the trans, transfer case and dif lubes too!

Thank you.

Yep. I am looking into changing out the fluids in the MT (ATF+4), RDA and PTU (80W-90 GL5) next... The OM does not list the sump capacities for these items...

Murman -
Sometimes the capacities are listed for you on the amsoil site.
NO, I am not suggesting, hinting, etc., just saying the capacities are sometimes listed there for your perusal.
Enjoy the car.

Originally Posted By: Murman
The Patriot is two weeks old and has 2,000 miles of service. I am going to change the oil today. I have decided to use M1 0W-30 ($24.50 for 5 qts) and a NAPA Gold filter, FIL 7060 ($6.39 each).

Good choice IMO.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Murman -
Sometimes the capacities are listed for you on the amsoil site.
NO, I am not suggesting, hinting, etc., just saying the capacities are sometimes listed there for your perusal.
Enjoy the car.

Nothing wrong anyway.

Amsoil XL 5W-20 would be top choice.
Amsoil OE 5W-20 lower cost choice.

Nice Jeep! I would have stuck with either a 0W20 or a 5W20 oil. The engine calls for a 20 grade oil and is under a new car warranty. JMO

Originally Posted By: 3311
Originally Posted By: Murman

Good choice IMO.

This is what I find humorous about this site if the manual specified 0W 30 you would be posting how you decided to use 5W 20 it just makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back