Synthetic for Honda powered pressure washer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother bought a Karcher pressure washer with a Honda GC190 engine. He wants to run a synthetic oil in it. Which one would be good? Since the engine is only a splash lube system, would that make any difference for oil choices?

I use advance auto synthetic in my snowblower and generator. both are Honda clones (not real Hondas) and they love it. I use the 5w 30 in the blower, 10w 30 with a few ounces of hd 30 in the genset. Good luck on whatever you decide.

I use Amsoil ASE in my small engines, seems to work well for me, and it is a real synthetic engine oil that is not that expensive.

why bother using synthetic oil in a small engine anywyas? They don't even have oil filters so it's not like you get the benefits of extended oil change intervals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
why bother using synthetic oil in a small engine anywyas? They don't even have oil filters so it's not like you get the benefits of extended oil change intervals.
Maybe not, but the performance cushion in extreme temps high or low would make me at least consider it. I can't speak for honda, but I do believe briggs now specs a synthetic. A briggs will [censored] near run with olive oil in the crankcase, so I can only speculate that they recommend syn with temps in mind.

There's no special requirements because it's a pressure washer, so any of the other OPE-based threads on oil choice in here are valid.

Actually, being a pressure washer is a pretty good gig for an OPE engine. Assuming that it's designed well, the pump is sized to load the engine up to a specific percentage of it's maximum (which is far from 100%). Operation is usually constant RPM, it never gets bogged or overloaded, doesn't get run through clouds of dust kicked up by blades, never hits a tree root or debris.

There are some that feel that pressure washers work particularly hard compared to other OPE. I disagree. I believe snowblowers have the worst jobs. People will bog those suckers with EOD until they stall at WOT sometimes.

I have the same engine in my Karcher pressure washer and I use a conventional 30w (Castrol) and it runs great but I see no harm in running syn. I just use conventional because it has never had a problem so I have a "why change" sort of thing going on.

we have the same pressure washer and it gets 10w-30 rotella dino oil nary a problem. i would say unless synthetic just makes u feel better any dino 10w30 or 30w will do

straight 30 W PYB in my pressure washer. I believe the best small engine OPE oil is GC 0-30
Gotta disagree with you Craig, my PW runs hard-real hard when you load it-probably the haqrdest working little motor I have

Just make sure he runs a synthetic in the pump! That is more important than the motor. Especially if it`s one of those one season wonder Faip pumps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Just make sure he runs a synthetic in the pump! That is more important than the motor. Especially if it`s one of those one season wonder Faip pumps.

Yeah, I was thinking of mentioning that on a *quality* pressure washer the pump is worth more than the engine which drives it. The general public shops for pressure washers looking at nothing but the engine ("Look honey, it has a Honda, it must be good"). The pump is where the real money is.

Johnachak,
I have a question for you.If it say`s honda on the engine ,how can it not be a honda engine? People say it`s a clone.Facts to back this up?

Originally Posted By: DP08GT
Johnachak,
I have a question for you.If it say`s honda on the engine ,how can it not be a honda engine? People say it`s a clone.Facts to back this up?

I think he is talking about the Chinese made motor that looks almost exactly like a Honda. They call them Chonda`s, I have one on my pressure washer. And my only complaint is the hard starting when it`s hot. Other than that, it seems to be a very good motor.

I use the Briggs & Straton Synthetic pump oil in my cheap Faip pump. It`s lasted over 4 years now with daily use. Lost some power/pressure, but still kickin! ( of course now that I said this, it`l probably die the next time I get it out)
smirk.gif

I have had a Karcher pressure washer with a Honda GC190 engine for approx. 4 yrs.

I started out with PP 10w-30. After about 3 hours of hard use the oil was very thin so I switched to Rotella 10w-30. I have learned since my worry of too thin was not a problem.

I also use the Rotella 10w-30 or Rotella T5 10-w30 in 25hp Kohler ZTR and 10 hp generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back